Local Administrator account confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Is the local administrator account disabled by default in Windows 7???  If so can someone please explain to me the reasoning for this?
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 3:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

An Administrator account with a blank password is a security risk. To better protect the system, the built-in Administrator account is disabled by default in all clean installations and upgrades of Windows 7.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:52 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 2:54 AM

All replies

• Is the local administrator account disabled by default in Windows 7???  If so can someone please explain to me the reasoning for this?
    Yes, it is. Only the Microsoft engineers can tell you why this is so. We can guess at best.
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 3:43 PM
  • I am assuming that a lot of people are a little perturbed about this?  Are there any engineers that can explain this out there???
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Hello,

This is only a guess, but I think that the reasoning behind this is security. I have seen plenty of local administrator accounts on domain joined PC's with blank passwords. This creates a fantastic exploit for viruses and allows end users with some knowledge to bypass group security by logging in as local administrator. Although GP should deal with these loopholes in larger corps, smaller SMB's tend to spend less time on lock down techniques using GP. So I think disabling the local administrator account makes a lot of sense.

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

An Administrator account with a blank password is a security risk. To better protect the system, the built-in Administrator account is disabled by default in all clean installations and upgrades of Windows 7.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:52 AM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 2:54 AM