none
Application stays minimized in the taskbar

Question

• Hi all,
    I have an installation of Windows Vista Home premium 64bit SP1 on my home computer and I've recognized following problem: some applications after start remain minimized in the taskbar and can be closed only. The application window cannot be maximized and does not appear if I click on the taskbar application button. It is strange, because some applications (the majority) don't have this behaviour and work properly, but some of them behave like this and don't display its windows. If I run mouse cursor over the taskbar button, an icon with window preview appears (and in this view can be seen that the application works), but I don't have the possibility to show the application window.
    Have anyone recognized similar problem and does anyone know how to fix it ?
    Many thanks in advance for your replies.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 9:36 AM

Answers

• I do not if it will work for you but when I get problems where all the windows are minimized and none maximize, I have clicked on the Desktop icon in the Quick Launch, and then I can click on the running applications in the task bar to maximize as they should.

So if you have not done so, enable Quick Launch in the task bar and I prefer not to use the Taskbar Previews thing (its useless and totally pointless for me).

Another trick when a window wont maximize is to right click it on the task bar and do Restore rather than Maximize (sometimes that works)
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

If the issue does not occur on all of the program icons on the Notification Area, maybe the problematic programs are corrupt, or not compatible. Another possibility is that they are blocked by some programs. In this case, I suggest that you disable the anti-virus. If the issue still occurs, reinstall the problematic programs. If the If the issue persists after you reinstall them, the problematic programs are not corrupt with Windows Vista 64bit systems. I suggest that you contact the publisher or related forum to confirm this situation.

Monday, November 17, 2008 9:24 AM

All replies

• I do not if it will work for you but when I get problems where all the windows are minimized and none maximize, I have clicked on the Desktop icon in the Quick Launch, and then I can click on the running applications in the task bar to maximize as they should.

So if you have not done so, enable Quick Launch in the task bar and I prefer not to use the Taskbar Previews thing (its useless and totally pointless for me).

Another trick when a window wont maximize is to right click it on the task bar and do Restore rather than Maximize (sometimes that works)
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

If the issue does not occur on all of the program icons on the Notification Area, maybe the problematic programs are corrupt, or not compatible. Another possibility is that they are blocked by some programs. In this case, I suggest that you disable the anti-virus. If the issue still occurs, reinstall the problematic programs. If the If the issue persists after you reinstall them, the problematic programs are not corrupt with Windows Vista 64bit systems. I suggest that you contact the publisher or related forum to confirm this situation.

Monday, November 17, 2008 9:24 AM
  • Hi davesil !

i have a come across the same problem in one of my application, where the application gets minimized in the taskbar and not getting opened(maximized).

The solution for this is very simple, try this out.

1) Right click the application which is minimized.

2) select the "minimize" option in the list.

3) Now select the "maximize" option in the list.

4) Here the application will open(maximize)...

If your problem solved intimate me please.

• Proposed as answer by shanee2001 Thursday, May 04, 2017 6:53 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:43 AM
  • What if the right click option is disabled through group policy. I am having a similar issue where right click is disabled in group policy and users cannot right click to restore it or maximize the option. So, right click does not work. The application is launched through Citrix and it is a published web application. Once the user launches the application and when they are working on the application and have to minimize it to get to other applications as they don't use Alt + Tab. So, when they want to get back to the application, it would not maximize.

This looks more like and IE issue that is with 7 and 8 and am not sure about other versions. The operating system is Windows XP.

If anyone has any solutions would appreciate or have had similar problems and have resolved it let us know.

thank you in advance

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:37 AM
  • Same problem here. Currently this is affecting only 1 program. Its the first time I've tried to open it since I upgraded to Win 8. The vendor site indicates Win 8 compatible.

Icon appears active but clicking on it in task bar opens program a second time - also minimized.

Right clicking only gives option to Close program.

I'm logged in as administrator and this is a locally installed program.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:48 PM
  • I had a similar  problem on Windows 7 and the following solution worked

- Press SHIFT+CTRL

- Right Click on the Program showing up in the taskbar.

- Select the "Move" Window option

- Use the keyboard (Left Arrow/Right Arrow)  <-/ -> keys to move the window to the center of the screen.

- Try holding down the left arrow key  for a while to see the Window outline. Try moving right/up/down if the window outline is still not visible.

- Hit enter when you can see the Window outline  move  to the center of the screen.

It appears that the desktop extends beyond the Screen Display and the program window seems hidden. Moving the Window either to the Left / Right / Top/ Bottom of the screen helps.

• Proposed as answer by Skippy66 Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:52 AM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:58 AM
  • This worked!

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by bboscar Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by bboscar Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:18 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 5:22 AM
  • This worked...!!! Thank you So much...

• Proposed as answer by bboscar Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by bboscar Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:18 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 7:21 AM
  • This worked perfectly for me .  I'm using windows 10 and a work program wouldn't maximize.  I did have to hover over it to make it show, then right click it to choose minimize and then maximize it. Thanks! I tried more than a few times to update the program,etc...thanks a bunch!
    Thursday, May 04, 2017 6:55 PM