none
Error found Code 0x80072ee2 in Windows Defender

Question

• When I check for updates for windows defender after a minute or so it shows this "Error found Code 0x80072ee2"

I thought of uninstalling the program to download it and install it again, but it doesnt appears in the add/remove program section of vista. Is there a way to uninstall the program or to solve the updating problem?

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 1:33 AM

Answers

• Experienced same error running Vista.  Disable firewall and Defender is able then to connect to MS servers successfully.  So this is an issue with a firewall setting.

I have on occassion found depending upon what firewall is being used, that uninstalling the program then reinstalling it can prompt the firewall to ask for new permissions.  Although this wouldn't seem to make sense if it already has permissions set for those filenames.

You mentioned not being able to locate the uninstaller for Defender in Vista.  That's because it is installed with the OS rather than being a user add-on.  You have the option for disabling Defender but I am still researching answers for uninstalling.  In XP it is located in the Add/Remove Programs list.  Also, you can not re-install on top of the existing instance because it recognizes it is already installed and halts.

If updating was successful after disabling your firewall, then you need to locate the permission for that service, usually "svchost" and allow it.  I do not like the Windows Firewall in Vista.  It definitely has more capabilities than the previous version but its UI is far too complex for most of my clients.  I'm still playing with it.  I too need to locate where Defeneder had been denied permission.  If you find the answer please post.  If I find it I will post.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hello ThePablo. I too am having problems updating Windows Defender. I see that you are using Vista, while I'm using XP. I've tried downloading the recommended update: # 915597, from Windows Update, several times. But the update never installs. And, of course, if we can't update the program its usefulness as an Anti-Spyware program is increasingly diminished.

So, if someone would PLEASE respond to this post with an answer ThePablo and I would greatly appreciate you!

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:57 PM
  • Experienced same error running Vista.  Disable firewall and Defender is able then to connect to MS servers successfully.  So this is an issue with a firewall setting.

I have on occassion found depending upon what firewall is being used, that uninstalling the program then reinstalling it can prompt the firewall to ask for new permissions.  Although this wouldn't seem to make sense if it already has permissions set for those filenames.

You mentioned not being able to locate the uninstaller for Defender in Vista.  That's because it is installed with the OS rather than being a user add-on.  You have the option for disabling Defender but I am still researching answers for uninstalling.  In XP it is located in the Add/Remove Programs list.  Also, you can not re-install on top of the existing instance because it recognizes it is already installed and halts.

If updating was successful after disabling your firewall, then you need to locate the permission for that service, usually "svchost" and allow it.  I do not like the Windows Firewall in Vista.  It definitely has more capabilities than the previous version but its UI is far too complex for most of my clients.  I'm still playing with it.  I too need to locate where Defeneder had been denied permission.  If you find the answer please post.  If I find it I will post.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 2:53 PM
  • Hello sprkspys. Just saw your post- been away for a while. I'm currently running PC-cillin '07 Suite with Windows firewall disabled. I would like to follow your lead of disabling my firewall before attempting  the Windows Defender update again but have one concern. Maybe I'm showing my ignorance, but isn't that risky behavior going online without an enabled firewall? Your response is appreciated.

Friday, November 9, 2007 10:02 PM
  • Hello Huntspatch.  I apologize for the delay.  I too haven't checked the forums lately.

The simple answer is "yes."  Being online without your firewall can certainly expose you to port scans by infected computers and very quickly in fact.  However, provided you have supplemental protection in the way of an antivirus and overlapping antispyware products with real-time protection, any successful attacks should prompt your security software to alert you of attempts at system changes.  It's been my experience that the limited time it takes to disable your firewall simply to accomplish the update then turn your firewall back on is not likely to yield any attacks.

I like PC-cillin and Trend Micro in general.  I find their antivirus and antispyware products to be highly effective in identifying and removing malware as well as providing real-time protection with minimal impact on system performance.  I recommend HouseCall to clients all the time and I like that they have incorporated HijackThis, CWShredder, but I always recommend overlapping antispyware coverage to clients.

Windows Defender is a nice option considering it's free, provides real-time protection, and automated updates and scans.  However its effectiveness based on my experience with many client infected systems where the program was resident as well as testing I've read, indicate its effectiveness is poor against anything except ad-ware and even then only if it is set to notify the user of system changes, set to its highest level of recognition, and set for automatic removals.

See ratings here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136206/article.html

See article here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136195-page,1/article.html

I hope this helps.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:06 PM
  • Hello Sprkspys. Just to follow up. Thanks for your response about my concern for going online without my firewall up and running. I did follow your advise and disabled the firewall for the shortest possible time while connecting with Windows Update. Howeve, the elusive Win Defender update - #915597- still doesn't show up on the list of acquired updates in the Add/Remove Programs folder. Why it refuses to install remains a " Windows" mystery!!! I do hate to admit defeat on something that should be so simple. But it hardly seems worth any further expenditure of time - yours or mine. So, unless I run across a definitive solution I'll probably just delete the program and consider Spybot Search and Destroy or one of the other " paid " spyware programs to compliment my PC-cillin Suite. Thanks again for your efforts and input.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Hopefully its as simple for you as it was for me. heres what you do. Go to control panel. Then click "allow a program through firewall." windows defender wont be on the list so you'll have to add it by clicking browse. and once you add it problem solved! good luck my friend!

Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:37 AM
  •  

click add program* there is no browse haha sorry
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:39 AM
  • I added Windows Defender to the exceptions for my Firewall.  However, I am still getting the same error code.  I have Vista Ultimate (64-bit processing).  Would that effect my update downloads?

Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:45 PM
  • I had the same problem, just added Windows Defender to the standard MS firewall OK sites and it solved the solutions (Windows XP SP2)

Thanks for the info 

Friday, November 28, 2008 6:57 AM
  • I disabled my fire wall, and I still receive the same 0x80072ee2.  This is the first progam I have installed immediately after a full system wipe due to internet explorer registry virus.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:41 AM
  • while in "add/remove programs", look on the left for a link  titled "view installed updates". anything listed there can be uninstalled by double-clicking it.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 8:17 AM
  • Hi guys, I found that the solution is simple. Just go to this web site directly on Microsoft and "manually" download the update file.

Not only will it install the update but it will fix the updating problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/ADL.aspx
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:45 AM