Need it be this hard? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been to the Microsoft Answers site and it is a nightmare over there. I must say I don't envy someone using W8 for the first time. Even so, my installation was not without incident. Try to install and I get "Set up was unable to use the existing partition because it does not contain the required free space". This is when using a freshly formatted 500 Gb drive. Ok, so it's not the install drive that is the problem but the existing W7 System Reserved partition that is too small so that was extended.

I try again and all goes well until suddenly presented with a black screen and a mouse pointer with nothing happening. I turn the second monitor on and hey presto there is the 'Personalise' screen - but no mouse. Get through this with just the keyboard and now I am ready to go.

The mouse, I found, goes off the left of the main monitor and reappears on the right monitor so adjustments are required, but where is the Control Panel. Hidden away in the depths of metro. Any way, it has now been pinned to the taskbar. The drive has been partitioned and user folders redirected to the new partition.

Obviously some work to do yet before W8 is ready for business and a baseline disc image obtained.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:11 PM

All replies

• The only real Problem I see is the not visible mouse.

For the Partition if it is too smal it's too small. But I actually wonder why this did happen to you mine was big enough. I did a upgrade installation.

If I read you right you actually did a fresh install? If that's the case I wonder why it insisted to use your old existing Windows 7 Partition. Doesn't really make sense to force you to use it and not creating it new.

For the screen, how should Windows now you turned the Primary Screen off?

Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:33 PM
  • When I initially installed the Developer Preview it did create it's own system reserved partition. The Consumer Preview did not. Looking at the W7 sysres partition, it was found to be only 94 Mb compared with the usual 100 Mb so that may have been the cause of the problem.

The monitor connection largely defines which is the default. I have VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs. When I first connected dual monitors (with W7) the main monitor was DVI and the second monitor VGA. What happened was the 2nd monitor assumed the role of default at bootup. The 2nd monitor was changed to HDMI and the main monitor is then the default. So I install W8 and everything is displayed on the main monitor up to the point when W8 is actually opened and then the display shifts to the 2nd monitor. The fault can only be incorrect default 'Display' settings in Control Panel. I am not the only one to have seen this. Many others, including laptop owners, have as well but without another monitor attached have not known what is going on.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Ok thanks for the additional Information Makes more sence now.
    Wonder why your win7 Partition was only 94 mb. Mine was 100 and I never noticed a System with a smaller one.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Time was, you could set up the partitions yourself during installation...  Where's that functionality?  d r h should have been given the opportunity to wipe whatever partitions were already on the hard drive clean!

Does anyone else here get the impression that setup has been OVERsimplified?

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:19 PM
  • Nowl, perhaps I should make it clear that for both the DP and CP I started with the drive cleared of all partitions and formatted.
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Wow, so it created a partition then immediately reported it could not use it?  That's even worse than what I thought you meant.

For what it's worth on a freshly created VM, here's the reserved partition it created for me - a whopping 350 MB.  Note that it's used 119 MB of it up already.

-Noel

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:58 PM
  • We use the system reserved partition for the boot folder and as an area to move the recovery WIM file in the event that you BitLocker the volume.  When BitLockered, the BCD store needs to be readable so we can load the operating system.  If you dont want this partition you can create a contiguous partition prior to install and we wont create anything new.

--Joseph [MSFT] http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/

Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:39 PM
  • When I initially installed the Developer Preview it did create it's own system reserved partition. The Consumer Preview did not. Looking at the W7 sysres partition, it was found to be only 94 Mb compared with the usual 100 Mb so that may have been the cause of the problem.

There is still only the one sysres partition (created with W7) which I extended to 282 Mb. Now here is the funny thing. It only contains 80 Mb so why was it not large enough in the first place.

ADDED

Noel, have another look at your sysres. It has 119 Mb free and has used 231.

• Edited by d r h Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:52 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:45 PM
  • CP should have made its own unless you already had a predefined partition.  We'll honor existing disk layout.  I'm not sure why you hit the issue you did though because I havent seen it.  Your \Windows\Panther\setupact.log might tell us what happened though.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Hey there, drh, I'd love to know more about why you think Microsoft Answers is a nightmare. If you'd like to give some more specific feedback, please visit me in Answers Feedback forum.

Thanks,

EmilyF

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:06 PM
  • CP should have made its own unless you already had a predefined partition.  We'll honor existing disk layout.  I'm not sure why you hit the issue you did though because I havent seen it.  Your \Windows\Panther\setupact.log might tell us what happened though.

setupact is 367 Kb.  How to I attach it.
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 11:59 PM
  • I am on the desktop

I double click on a photo and it sends me to Metro showing the photo and nothing else. What can I do with it.

I want some background music while multitasking so double click on a track. Again I am in Metro.

Just how much do I have to reset to be able to work on the desktop.

Somehow Windows 7 looks like heaven.

Friday, March 2, 2012 10:00 AM
  • You can put the log on a SkyDrive and send me a link for the log.

Metro style applications are full screen, that's why you're seeing the photo displayed as such.

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:10 PM
  • Metro style applications are full screen, that's why you're seeing the photo displayed as such.

Joseph, first let me say that I for one really appreciate you being here - it shows you have an interest in Windows' future, and it's gratifying to know that we are being heard.

I honestly think d r h understands why he's seeing things full screen, but is really saying that full-screen just isn't appropriate for things like playing music while doing other work.  Even a photo being viewed might not be wanted to take over the whole screen.  In my image editing work I often want to look at several side by side, or maybe write an eMail to someone while looking at a photo they sent...  The list goes on. 

But you know these things.

We realize you're toeing the Microsoft line for Metro, but I really don't think the resistance is just a matter of people not yet discovering that they like full-screen apps...  Don't forget we have had the ability to Maximize windows forever.  Some of us, possibly considered power users, just don't Maximize our windows, and thus would not consider Metro, which forces us to do so, an improvement by any means!

-Noel

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Completely understand Noel, trust me, your feedback is being heard.

Friday, March 2, 2012 2:16 PM
  • Then add mine as well, if I open something from the desktop, it should NOT send me to metro.

Also, line square x should be in metro apps on a desktop, sorry, dragging my mouse across a 24' monitor to close something is not fun, I've been alt-f4'ing  I don't have a wall sized touch screen, and I doubt I even will.

where's control panel?

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Control panel is under Settings-->More PC Settings or by typing Control Panel at the Start Screen.

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:47 PM
  • i'm seeing a trend, and it tells me microsoft is scared of losing the enterprise to iphones. I don't want my desktop to be a giant ugly phone.

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:51 PM
  • where's control panel?

Jeff, see also this thread:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/842c7786-ce8c-4f2a-920e-5a3dea25b95c

In specific answer to your question, the (temporary replacement Start button tool) ViStart provides a Control Panel entry, and the Control Panel does open on the Desktop.  Then you can choose View by Small icons and get this:

-Noel

Friday, March 2, 2012 4:58 PM
  • You can put the log on a SkyDrive and send me a link for the log

Joseph

Sorry I have been so long but I have not used Skydrive yet and am having to find out how it all works (haven't needed Windows live either come to that). I do now have the file on skydrive but have yet to open an e-mail account on W8. I saw the Windows blog video (which opened in metro) and that talked about Skydrive on the desktop but I have seen no sign of it. I would also like it on W7 as well as it does seem a good way of sending large files. How can I do this.

BTW for anyone else reading this, R/Click on the metro start menu in bottom left corner of the desktop and there is a context menu.

Friday, March 2, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Time was, you could set up the partitions yourself during installation...  Where's that functionality?

-Noel

You still can it's right there just like Windows 7, you have to click the Drive Options button and do what you like.  You can also hit Shift-F10, as always, and bring up a cmd window to use diskpart if that's your thing.

MS needs to have a tutorial that runs right after installation that describes the mouse and keyboard functionality options for Desktop users.  Much like  Win 3.x had a tutorial for the mouse and Windows 95 with the Start Menu.  [Win key] + X is your friend to get to Control Panel and most things you would get to by right-click My Computer etc.

EDIT  " R/Click on the metro start menu in bottom left corner of the desktop and there is a context menu."  Nice, that's the same as [win] + x, I'll add that to my cheat sheet.
    • Edited by dgobe Friday, March 2, 2012 5:24 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 5:14 PM
  • thanks for the help, but this all seems very work aroundy for the enterprise.

I like the idea of the consistent and integrated environments across platforms, but I can't get around metro being a backwards step on the desktop and how it just takes over stuff.

I'm hoping that being a beta it is just an rough spot and that true enterprise functionality is going to be there. I'd hate to have to wait for the next iteration like we did with vista and waiting for win7 for the business world. I have to too many clients and educating a couple thousand users on all of this silliness would be a complete nightmare.

Friday, March 2, 2012 5:38 PM
  • You still can it's right there just like Windows 7, you have to click the Drive Options button and do what you like

Thanks.  I didn't recall seeing that.  I captured all the screens during setup, so I went back and looked at them carefully...  Sure enough, I had missed that little link:

-Noel

Friday, March 2, 2012 6:06 PM
  • thanks for the help, but this all seems very work aroundy for the enterprise.

Sure does!  In my opinion Windows has been getting more and more like this since Vista.  I had to write a whole book on what needs to be done to turn Windows 7 into something reasonable for doing real business work, and you'd better believe I'm already working on the sequel!

We may have to accept that Microsoft is building for the mainstream casual user, because that's where the money (in sheer numbers) is.  Perhaps it's still as powerful as it is because they have to continue to develop Windows with something.

Where does it lead?  Will businesses need an entirely different OS?  Back to Unix maybe?  Hugely expensive business systems from a vendor like IBM?  Who can say?  But as much money as business has, the public who just want to fool around with their little portable devices must have more, that's the only thing I can figure that's driving us down this road.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Friday, March 2, 2012 6:16 PM corrected wording
    Friday, March 2, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Where does it lead?  With businesses need an entirely different OS?  Back to Unix maybe?  Hugely expensive business systems from a vendor like IBM?  Who can say?  But as much money as business has, the public who just want to fool around with their little portable devices must have more, that's the only thing I can figure that's driving us down this road.

-Noel

I know where it leads, to device agnostic "cloud", everything will be VDI or Software as a Service form the corporate servers. Widnows servers will be alive and well, but they see that the desktop as the traditional starting point is going away, you will get a check from the company to buy the device you like and just RDP/Citrix/ViewClient into a VDI system or run apps delivered over those and never see a true desktop. When, 5 years, 10? 15? but it's coming. the touch muti window multi tasking isn't there yet, but with the new arm and tegra chips it's not to far out. The GUI's just need to catch up. I "get" the ideas behind windows 8, I just can't agree with the first iteration of the implementation. There isn't enough "desktop" left for the regular user.

Friday, March 2, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Am I the only person left who fundamentally dislikes the idea of trusting the integrity of a "cloud" of resources not even remotely under my control to run my business?

Perhaps I'm a dinosaur; I still have Windows verify with me before installing updates.

I wonder what we will all do when the "cloud" just up and refuses to work for us one day...  It might be good to have a lot of gold (and bullets) at that time...

-Noel

Friday, March 2, 2012 6:26 PM
  • I think we could be friends.. I'm a paper book guy, so they can't change the words of my books. :P

my cloud: my servers and services to my clients through my network is trust worthy :P it's still a "cloud" service though.

Friday, March 2, 2012 6:31 PM