Problem with CPU load and WMI errors when Hyper-V is installed? RRS feed

• Question

• I get a lot of these errors in the application event log:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceOperationEvent WITHIN 10 WHERE (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_ExternalEthernetPort') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_VmLANEndpoint') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_SyntheticEthernetPort') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_ComputerSystem') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_VLANEndpointSettingData')" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/virtualization" because of error 0x80041010. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

This only occurs when I got Hyper-V activated on Win 8.1 preview... anyone know what to do?

This seems to consume quite a bit of CPU ~ 1 core at 100% most of the time.

Per Salmi, Software Developer .NET Technologies PerSalmi.NET

Friday, August 9, 2013 3:12 PM

Answers

• The issue seems to be resolved by deleting the Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network adapter in the Windows Device Manager and reinstalling it with Windows 8.1 Preview default network driver. After this driver reinstall the CPU load is back ~1% at idle when Hyper-V is installed just like expected.

So there is something strange with the latest Intel drivers found on the Dell support pages for this Latitude machine.

Monday, August 12, 2013 11:35 AM

All replies

•  0x80041010 = class error:

C:\Users\André>err  0x80041010
    # for hex 0x80041010 / decimal -2147217392
      WBEM_E_INVALID_CLASS                                           wbemcli.h
    # 1 matches found for "0x80041010"

Do you see which process hogs the CPU? Capture a xperf trace so that I can see what is going on.

Install the WPT (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4847.install-the-windows-performance-toolkit-wpt-en-us.aspx), open a CMD prompt with admin rights and run this command

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 2048 && timeout -1 && xperf -d CPUUsage.etl

go back to the CMD and press a key to stop capturing. Now compress the CPUUsage.etl as 7z (LZMA2, ULTRA) to reduce the size. Upload this file to your SkyDrive or Dropbox and post a link here.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, August 9, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Ok, the trace is now at http://sdrv.ms/14neg4E

It seems to be one of the svchost.exe processes hosting the Windows Management Instrumentation Service that constantly uses CPU. Got the same software setup on a Surface Pro also but on that machine there are no logged errors and no CPU load from the same service when Hyper-V is installed but no virtual machines are created or running . If I uninstall Hyper-V the CPU load is back to normal. Very irritating as I use the machine for Windows Phone development that needs Hyper-V activated to run the phone emulators.

BTW, I used the perf Tools from 8.1 SDK at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bg162891.aspx instead when creating the trace if it matters...

• Edited by Per Salmi Monday, August 12, 2013 7:16 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 7:14 AM
  • The issue seems to be resolved by deleting the Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network adapter in the Windows Device Manager and reinstalling it with Windows 8.1 Preview default network driver. After this driver reinstall the CPU load is back ~1% at idle when Hyper-V is installed just like expected.

So there is something strange with the latest Intel drivers found on the Dell support pages for this Latitude machine.

Monday, August 12, 2013 11:35 AM
  • I can't download the trace (error in checking for viruses), but if the issue is fixed, this is fine :)

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, August 12, 2013 7:33 PM
  • I was experiencing the same issue. I had Intel(R) 82579LM based Network Controller driver version 12.6.47.1 installed. I downloaded and installed 18.4.59.0 from http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21642/eng/PROWinx64.exe and it seem to resolve the issue.

It might be worth noting that the main thing I noticed was that svchost was showing the cpu usage but if you looked into it more it looked like ProfSvc was running at 7-10% cpu load.

• Proposed as answer by WillPeters Monday, September 2, 2013 11:17 AM
    Monday, September 2, 2013 1:26 AM
  • I had the same problem on Win 8.1 RTM with driver version 12.6.47.1. Installing driver version 18.1 from Dell didn't help, but 18.5.54.0 driver directly from Intel solved the problem.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:21 AM