none
Will the Paths on the Remote Share get corrected by FileHistory? RRS feed

• Question

• I imported pictures under my user profile, triaged and modified them, and then moved them to Public.

On the computer that's hosting the FileHistory share I notice that the pictures are stored under the path for my user profile, and not under Public. Since the pictures are currently stored in Public, it would make sense if FileHistory would move them from their current location to under the Public folder. Will FileHistory eventually do this?

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

File History is a backup application that continuously protects your personal files stored in Libraries, Desktop, Favorites, and Contacts folders. It periodically (by default every hour) scans the file system for changes and copies changed files to another location. Every time any of your personal files has changed, its copy will be stored on a dedicated, external storage device selected by you.

I suspect you can see the backup files under your profile right? File History will save the cache under the temporarily location. The cache will be moved to the backup location at the scheduled time.

But we cannot move it into public folder.

For more information about the File History, please refer to this blog:

Protecting user files with File History

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/07/10/protecting-user-files-with-file-history.aspx

Hope this could be helpful.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:52 PM
    Owner
  • Perhaps I can clarify. On the source computer the pictures were only under my profile for a little while (a few hours), and were moved to Public.

On the computer hosting the File History data, the pictures are currently under my profile, even though on the source they've been under Public for a few weeks now.

I'm wondering, when will File History sync the paths on the share with the source? Or, is there a way to force it?

Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Perhaps I can clarify. On the source computer the pictures were only under my profile for a little while (a few hours), and were moved to Public.

On the computer hosting the File History data, the pictures are currently under my profile, even though on the source they've been under Public for a few weeks now.

I'm wondering, when will File History sync the paths on the share with the source? Or, is there a way to force it?

Hi,

We need to configure some settings of File history to implement this, you can refer to following articles:

Protecting user files with File History

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/07/10/protecting-user-files-with-file-history.aspx

Turn on continuous backup via File history

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Windows8Step0TurnOnContinuousBackupsViaFileHistory.aspx

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:00 AM
    Owner