Vista won't start after hardware upgrade. RRS feed

• Question

• I upgrade my motherboard, CPU & memory and my "old" Vista installation will no longer boot.  I installed on a clean HD to get online to look for answers but want to get back to my original installation/data.  Repair did nothing will not reinstall as upgrade not available, safe mode also fails.  It dies right when Loading Vista DOS graphics come up.  Any file I can edit/delete to force it to redetect the hardware?
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 11:49 AM

All replies

• You cannot just migrate over motherboard/cpu like that. Your storage controllers are different between the two boards. You will need to do a reinstallation.
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 11:52 PM
  • Excuse me.. but with XP you could.. and with 98 you could.. oh wait I get it.. MS is strong arming the end user again.. As an IT support person dealing with alot of MS *** every day.. MS try's so hard to make the OS as idiot proof as possible all while taking the most opowerful tools away from the people who need them the most..

I had a bad driver install.. try MS's new auto repair thing.. It was kind enough to eat up more then 20 MIN of my life only to come back and say.. I'm sorry I can't fix your error.. would you like to send it to Microsoft? How in the hell are you going to send it to microsoft when it can't load any of the network drivers.. genious and classic Microsoft at it's best.. Now had they have just left the window repair install in.. id would be back up and running without having to re install my OS from scratch.. Maybe i'll send MS the invoice for my time.

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:34 AM
  • You mean to tell me when I get my knew foxconn motherboard and core 2 duo extreme and 2 gbs of ram and migrate from an intel moterboard with a pentium 4 prescott with 1 gb of ram i will not be able to retrieve my windows vista partition?
    Friday, July 27, 2007 7:01 PM