none
Windows XP Mode on Windows 10/8/Server RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy folks,

So I just tried installing Windows XP mode and Windows Virtual PC  in Windows Server 2008 R2. Windows XP Mode installed in the directory, with a .vhd file and everything but Windows Virtual PC did not. I think that I could just open it in Hyper-V but worry that it will not activate properly, any suggestions? I would post pictures but my account has not been verified yet.....

Many thanks

Note to Admins: If there is a better forum for this question please feel free to move it to your hearts desire.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:29 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the slow reply,

ITS SOLVED!! I tried opening the .vhd that installed in the directory on Windows Server 2008 R2 but my PC has some strange VM nesting issues and I could not remove the write protection on it so slowly, hence the late reply, I created a plan B. I also contacted Microsoft to see if this plan was kosher with them and they gave the OK.

Step 1. Follow the instructions in the link. They tested it in Windows 8 with VirtualBox and I tested it in Windows 10, also with VirtualBox. (I'll test it in WinServer08R2 when I can get it working right)

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-windows-xp-for-free-in-windows-8-5965889

Step 2: This site has the instructions for downloading and installing network adapters from Intel

https://www.hecticgeek.com/2016/02/enable-internet-windows-xp-virtualbox/

Step 3. A few tweaks I would suggest is firstly in VirtualBox is turning off mouse integration until you can get guest additions installed, turning the VM off from inside does not work so you have to force turn it off by exiting out of VirtualBox and, of course, it does not come activated so activate it as stated in earlier posts.

There you have it folks! Thanks for all the help :)

PS: Perhaps another project could be creating a recovery/installation disk without all of the drivers but it still works fine none the less.

Friday, February 8, 2019 11:45 PM

All replies

• XPMode is only licensed for use with Windows 7 (excluding Win7 Home).  From a licensing perspective there's no legal way to run XPMode on any non-Windows 7 OS.

XPMode will not activate under Hyper-V, since there was no Hyper-V role for Windows 7.

If you want to run XPMode, you'd need to install Windows 7 in a Hyper-V VM and then install VPC with XPMode, or you'd get an XP license and install that as a VM in Hyper-V. 

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:33 PM
  • Firstly thanks for the quick reply!

Secondly, that's what I was guessing. I do have a few Windows licences laying around, could I be able open the .vhd and activate it with the keys as XP installation disks are hard to come by?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:48 PM
  • It's been a long time, but I think you can replace the license key.  I don't recall whether XP had issues with OEM vs retail keys and switching between.  IIRC, XPMode was/is an OEM install.

The other issue would be activation, I believe the only way to get XP activated now is to call the activation line, it won't do it over the Internet.  I've heard both successful and unsuccessful attempts at XP activation

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 11:02 PM
  • >It's been a long time, but I think you can replace the license key.

I don't think you can, the XP Mode image is modified to only use the built
    in key and run in a VM.

It would be better for the OP to find an XP disk and install the full
    version in a VM if he has a key.  (Integration components is another issue
    to deal with...)

And like you suggested, when I need to test something in XP Mode, I install
    Windows 7 in a VM, and XP Mode in that.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:16 PM
  • Sorry for the slow reply,

ITS SOLVED!! I tried opening the .vhd that installed in the directory on Windows Server 2008 R2 but my PC has some strange VM nesting issues and I could not remove the write protection on it so slowly, hence the late reply, I created a plan B. I also contacted Microsoft to see if this plan was kosher with them and they gave the OK.

Step 1. Follow the instructions in the link. They tested it in Windows 8 with VirtualBox and I tested it in Windows 10, also with VirtualBox. (I'll test it in WinServer08R2 when I can get it working right)

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-windows-xp-for-free-in-windows-8-5965889

Step 2: This site has the instructions for downloading and installing network adapters from Intel

https://www.hecticgeek.com/2016/02/enable-internet-windows-xp-virtualbox/

Step 3. A few tweaks I would suggest is firstly in VirtualBox is turning off mouse integration until you can get guest additions installed, turning the VM off from inside does not work so you have to force turn it off by exiting out of VirtualBox and, of course, it does not come activated so activate it as stated in earlier posts.

There you have it folks! Thanks for all the help :)

PS: Perhaps another project could be creating a recovery/installation disk without all of the drivers but it still works fine none the less.

Friday, February 8, 2019 11:45 PM