Vista - Windows Update error - Code 8024200D

Question

• Hi,

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium Version 6.0 (Build 6000).

For the past 2 weeks the below Windows update is failing...

Update for Windows Vista failed - KB938371

Error Found: Code 8024200D

Please suggest some remedy.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Saturday, July 12, 2008 5:28 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

0x8024200D -2145116147 SUS_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD The installer requires more data to be downloaded

Can try using windows update manually ?

Saturday, July 12, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Yes i have tried manually as well It fails with the same error...

Please help.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:56 AM
  • Clear all the temporray files; using Disk cleanup;

and then give a try.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 2:04 AM
  • I too unfortunally have the same problem. Im currently on Vista 64 Home Edition prenium, all updates installing find.

However SP1 is not like it, keeps coming up with the error message (CODE 8024200D). I read somewhere that you have to have certain updates installed before SP1 installs correctly?

I have manually downloaded the SP1 from microsoft and still the same problem.

This is really starting to get annoying now. I thought they fixed all this stuff?

Saturday, July 19, 2008 9:21 AM
  • Hello,

I am looking into error code 0x8024200D when it occurs while installing Vista Updates or SP1 Update or when it pertains to Windows Update.

If you have recently experienced this error would you zip all following files/directories,

%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*
        %windir%\WindowsUpdate*.log
        %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log
        %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if exists)
        %windir%\winsxs\pending.* (if exists)
        %windir%\Performance\WinSAT\Datastore\*.*
        %windir%\System32\winevt\Logs\application.evtx

And upload them to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=33c8fa80-402e-483f-b3d9-917214bcd056 using the password "@S*r{8oAyZw[12"? Please include your forum alias in the zip file so I know who’s files they are. This will help us greatly in finding the root cause of the problem and in looking for a solution.

Thank you,

Michael Giusty

Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:53 PM
  •  

I get the error on KB947562

Have tried to upload the files to the location using the password you gave and get...

No workspace was found corresponding to the supplied password. The password or web page address (URL) may be incorrect. Please verify the password with a Microsoft Support Professional.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:00 AM
  • I too have the same problem.  Have tried suggestios in help files to no avail. 

I have sent files to your password under name of Wollowra Vista Error.zip.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks...

Rob

Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:07 AM
  • I’m not sure why you are getting an error message. It seems to be working and I have been getting files. I got the Wollowra Vista Error.zip file and a few others. Thanks for up loading them. I’ll take a look them and see what I can find.

Thank you,

Michael Giusty

Monday, July 28, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Michael,

I was able to use the "chat" tech support and they took control of the computer and were able to fix the problem.  Just FYI, the case number is...

Incident title: Chat:Vista Service Pack will not install

Support request number: 1074360738

Hope this helps...

Thanks...

PS. The chat tech support worked very well and the problem was fixed in one session.

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:38 PM
  • So, what was the solution?

Monday, July 28, 2008 8:20 PM
  • There was a previous update that had not posted correctly.  I don't know the details of the solution since MS tech rep took control of my machine and handled all the corrective maintenance.  Wish I could give you details but...

Monday, July 28, 2008 8:31 PM
  • No it issnt...what did they do to fix it?

Monday, July 28, 2008 8:33 PM
  • Has there been a solution to this yet?  I updated from Vista Home to Vista Ultimate SP1 today & I am having the same problem.

Monday, July 28, 2008 10:25 PM
  • Hi Not sure if this will work ...

Rename SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder

- Start > Run > Insert "c:\windows" and press enter > locate SoftwareDistribution > Right click and select rename > name is to "SDold" without quotes and press enter.

- *repeat the same for Catroot2 folder but rename to Catroot2old

- restart the computer and attempt windows update again / download manually from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=695d7c32-252c-40e8-a15d-81029bec7d76&DisplayLang=en

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:22 AM
  • Glad to see you resolved your issue, wollowra.

For everyone else, we have the logs and are investigating the issue.

Thanks you,

Michael Giusty

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:33 PM
  • For me, I had to uninstall (not close, UNINSTALL) my Norton Security Software before the SP1 update would take.  Now that I have reinstalled it, I am having problems activating it, but this may get sorted out tomorrow.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:42 AM
  • Has anyone having this issue used vLite? This can cause problems with installing updates and service packs.

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:29 PM
  • any clues yet to how to solve the problem ??
    still stuck here ty 
    Friday, August 01, 2008 2:51 AM
  •  Porkribs wrote:

Hi Not sure if this will work ...

Rename SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder

- Start > Run > Insert "c:\windows" and press enter > locate SoftwareDistribution > Right click and select rename > name is to "SDold" without quotes and press enter.

- *repeat the same for Catroot2 folder but rename to Catroot2old

- restart the computer and attempt windows update again / download manually from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=695d7c32-252c-40e8-a15d-81029bec7d76&DisplayLang=en

Hope this helps.

This sounds quite familiar to what a Microsoft tech rep on the phone told me when Vista first came out and I had problems installing an update, they had me go into safe mode to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder but also a bunch of other files and or folders, then try the windows automatic updates and it all worked out after that.  They told me they believed that something in my windows vista update system had been corrupted upon installation of vista to begin with.

I'm going to try this routine myself (though I have to dodge to safe mode I think since Im getting an error saying I need permission to rename the SoftwareDistrubution folder when im Admin anyway) and see if I can do it in safe mode and try to update after that.

I'll report back if this works for me or not, on my computer it's SP1 update that is balking and giving the error code of 8024200D

Update: Couldnt rename catroot2 to anything even in safe mode, I was able to rename softwaredistrubution to SDold and catroot to catrootold, but not catroot2 to anything.

Tried the SP1 update that I d/l from MS website but it only got about 3/4 of the way on the progress bar (without a restart) and then bombed out with the same error code listed above only minus the D on the end.

I hope someone from MS can get this fixed soon, I'd really like to not have to go back to XP because I can't get a SP (which I believe is important to have) installed on this Vista Home Premium 32b computer.

Thanks

Friday, August 01, 2008 12:37 PM
  •  

No go.  Can't rename catroot2 to anything else, says I need permission even in safe mode, so I managed to rename softwaredistribution to SDold and Catroot to Catrootold, but not catroot2 to anything.

Decided to try SP1 installation anyway since I had already downloaded it from MS, but it got about 3/4 through the process (without restarting) on the progress bar then bombed out with the same error code as I mentioned above however without the D on the end of it.

P.S. I sent all those files to the site as requested and hope someone can get from MS can get this fixed as I know there are more of us that are having this trouble then in this thread, I know of 3 other people personally that have this same error when they try to apply SP1 to their vista computers too.

Thanks,

Friday, August 01, 2008 1:01 PM
  • go to www.support.microsoft.com/kb/947562/kb/en-us and download and run the program. after the system restarts run SP1.Works.

Friday, August 01, 2008 3:31 PM
  • read my post of 8-1

Don

Friday, August 01, 2008 3:33 PM
  • Right now we are looking at improvements to a tool that will very likely resolve this problem. I’ll update you when I have more information.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Friday, August 01, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Daddydon is correct. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947562 should solve your issue with this particular problem.

If you've hit this issue, we would still appreciate you sending us the logs I mentioned previously. They will help us the root of the issue so we can fix it. And please let us know if this does not fix your problem.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Friday, August 01, 2008 9:57 PM
  • I'm having the same problem in Vista Ultimate as well. dropped you my log files in "ThuulstreaVistaUltimate.zip"

am going to try the file download KB947562 and see if it works.
    Monday, August 04, 2008 9:00 AM
  • Hello Thuulstrea,

I don’t see your logs. Would you mind uploading them again? Have you been able to run the update? Did it solve your problem?

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Monday, August 04, 2008 11:55 PM
  • uploaded them again. you should get them this time.

I tried the hotfix and it didn't solve the problem. I then followed the advise on http://www.updatexp.com/0x800f0826.html and found KB950126 hadn't installed properly. This is done now and I'm getting a 80004005 error from the service pack. any ideas on this?

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:54 AM
  • your answer to solve error code 8024200d was perfect, i tried every which way till i read your solution, without any luck.

service pack now installed thank you very much

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 12:56 PM
  • Hey Thuulstrea,

Error 80004005 is a pretty generic failure code. Are the logs you uploaded from before you tried the hot fix? If they are, could you also upload a set of logs from after you started getting the 80004005 error? I’ll take a look at them and see if I can find out what your current issue is.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 12:59 AM
  • I have uploaded the new file "Thuulstrea80004005.zip" to you. any help would be appreciated. I am enjoying Vista and am dreading having to roll back to XP over such a minor issue.

Cheers

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 3:09 AM
  • Sent an email to Microsoft Tech Support regarding the problem and got their response. Had to create a batch file called "WinupsecureWinVista.bat" run it then try the update again. Got the same problem but back to a 800F0826 error code now.
    The service pack gets to Stage 3 of 3 100% and then says unable to install and uninstalls itself. The batch file i
    s on my system desktop if you'd like me to upload it.

cheers

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:08 PM
  • How do I add the website to the trusted sites list. I forgot how to do it.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:59 PM
  • I don't but am am having the problem.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:02 PM
  • I had 2 error codes and I miss read the error codes backwards. (as if I thought that one went to the wornk update)

I solved the problem of 8024200D but still have error code 643. Please read my thread on it. I really need help because that I have had this problem for a few weeks and I upgraded to windows vista and had no problems everything worked and i always install my updates.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:47 PM
  • There is a a download code on the second page that will  fix your problem.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Thuulstrea, yeah go ahead and upload that set too. I’ll take a look at them. Hopefully we can get this resolved for you. Do you still have KB947562 installed on you system?

Thanks,

Michael Giusty

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Yeah the last set of logs I uploaded to you were with KB947562 installed. I'm uploading the batch file to you. Thanks for the help. I sent an email back to Microsoft Tech Support outlining everything as well. I'd try the chat support but unfortunately, being in Australia, their hours of operation are a pain in the back side for me.
    Friday, August 08, 2008 2:00 AM
  • I'm an MCP and I can't waste any more time troubleshooting this.  I uploaded the requested logs (SiriusSystems VistUlt SP1 Install Issues.zip) to the Services File Transfer site.  I hope someone can see what's going on.

I tried renaming the same folders mentioned in the thread.  All but Catroot2 were renamable.  I did have to rename them in Safe Mode.  Upon shutdown Vista Ultimate gave and error regarding DreamScapes being invalid.  I ignored the error.  Upon reboot Vista Ultimate now shows "Copy of Windows is not genuine"

Hoping to check back and see a solution or be contacted off line.

Friday, August 08, 2008 6:12 AM
  • @Thuulstrea, I’m sorry but for some reason I can’t find your second set of logs (from after you installed KB947562) in the workspace. Can I ask you to upload them again? I apologize for the inconvenience.

@Sirius Systems, I have your logs and will take a look. In the mean time can you clarify for me whether or not you’ve tried to install this update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947562? And whether the logs you uploaded are from before or after that?

Thanks,

Michael Giusty

Friday, August 08, 2008 7:43 PM
  • The file Thuulstrea80004005.zip is the one I uploaded last time. Since then, my wife was on the computer and the auto installer tried to install it and returned a 4C7 error. Looking that one up, I saw some one had disabled his anti-virus and firewall to successfully over come this however it didn't work for me. I am now getting the old 800F0826 error again. I am going to try clearing this error the same way I did last time and try to reinstall SP1.
    Thuulstrea4C7.zip are my log files prior to this and I'll upload my log files after with another post to let you know if it's worked or not.

Cheers
    Ean
    Saturday, August 09, 2008 6:38 AM
  • Finally got SP1 installed. Uploaded my latest log files to you under the name ThuulstreaSP1Installed.zip. Ran the Batch file MS Support got me to make and uninstalled my firewall and virus scanner. Went off without a hitch. Hopefully these latest logs and the batch file WinupsecureWinVista.bat helps. Thanks for all the help you've provided.

Cheers
    Ean
    Saturday, August 09, 2008 8:05 AM
  • I had the Code 8024200D also. Read this thread and solved problem. I disabled all my antivirus software which I'm not sure made a difference or not. Then installed KB947562 which hadn't succesfully installed before. I used the link in one of the previous posts here to download that update. After that successfully installed I restarted and then successfully installed SP1 for Vista.

Monday, August 11, 2008 12:39 AM
  • @Ean,
    Thanks for the logs and for sharing your solution. I’m glad you finally got SP1 installed.

@Paul,
    Thanks for letting us know that this was able to solve your issue.

If anyone else finds this thread helpful, can you mark the posts that helped you solve your issue as helpful so that others can find a solutions and benefit from it quicker?

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Ok, so no sooner did I follow all these directions & get the problem "solved" for KB947562, the Microsoft releases another update and I start getting the error again!  This time it's for the Works update, KB955428.  So is this going to be a pattern with Vista?  And since I don't use works and don't have a disk to install during the update, I will just keep getting the annoying little reminder to update in the system tray?  Please help if you can...

Janeane

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:12 PM
  • @SiriuS Systems,
    Can you try running the most recent version of CheckSur?
    X86: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2889489c-ee87-4607-8aa5-812e8078ab27&DisplayLang=en
    X64: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=14f76773-007c-493f-bece-243bc21ac73d&DisplayLang=en
    Let me know if this solves your issue or not.

@Janeane,
    I’ll help if I can. Can you zip all following files/directories,

%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*

And upload them to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=33c8fa80-402e-483f-b3d9-917214bcd056 using the password "@S*r{8oAyZw[12"? Please include your forum alias in the zip file so I know they are your files. I'll see if I can find the root of your problem.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:09 PM
  • I'm getting the error 8024200D when trying to install update 947562.

Running Vista Business.

I'll try to upload those files.

My DataStore folder is empty so I can't add it to the zip.

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:32 PM
  • Hey marclevesque,

I’ve got you logs and will see if I can find what your problem is. Out of curiosity, have you tried any of the other fixes mentioned in this thread or elsewhere? Like running the latest CheckSur?

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Friday, August 15, 2008 9:01 PM
  •  

Yes, currently having same issueand same code with same Vista version. Have Dell Dimension E521 64 AMD Athlon, 32 bit encryption, 3 gb memory 954 RAM. I found the program on my compueter but it always says cannot install, give the same error code.

Have tried uninstalling anitivirus, turning off all programs, even the internet to update this. still nothing.

However, did a recent factory restore, installed a new driver for CD ROM (broke after just a year) and was using Norton's for antispy antivirus. Now using Zone Alarm. 

Ok, just read through all of this. The hubby has tried all this under his account (yes multiple user accounts, grrr) I am going to log under his, try all this and see if he missed anything. He is the administrator.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:56 PM
  • I was having the problem with loading KB955428 yes you will need the cd in order to load it it took on my desktop but not my notebook but I have works 8.5 in my notebook so I am sure there is no problem with that version will let you know of anything I can find out. Floyd

Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:32 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Initially I was getting a different error, so I had tried were some instructions from a Microsoft site which included deleting the DataStore folder in the SoftwareDistribution folder.  That initial error was fixed.

Being Monday now, I reviewed the thread to see what other solutions were offered (the only one I remembered was to rename the catroot folder, etc.)

So I just installed the stand alone package for 947562 and it seemed to work.  After rebooting it said there was another update (66.9MB ~ 200+MB) which it is downloading now.  I'm wondering if this is SP1 which will give me errors when it tries to install.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Marc Levesque

Monday, August 18, 2008 12:05 PM
  • Hi Michael,

The last update was SP1 and it downloaded and installed fine.

Curiously, when I check the install history, the 947562 entry that failed (several times) said "Update for windows Vista (KB947562)", but the one that worked says "Update for windows (KB947562)".  I did download the Vista update though, from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947562.

Anyway, all seems fine now.

Thanks,

Marc Levesque

Monday, August 18, 2008 6:06 PM
  • @ Marc Levesque,
    That is curious. I’m not sure why they were different. But I’m glad you managed to get things sorted out.

@Jane,
    If you, or your husband, have tried to install KB947562:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947562

And run the latest version of CheckSur:
    X86: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2889489c-ee87-4607-8aa5-812e8078ab27&DisplayLang=en
    X64: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=14f76773-007c-493f-bece-243bc21ac73d&DisplayLang=en

And you are still having issues can you upload your logs to me? I'll take a look at them and see if I can determine what the problem is.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:14 PM
  •  thanks Daddydon, it worked for me.

I don't know much about this sort of thing & was getting increasingly frustrated with 8024200D. Nothing would cure it... until I saw your posting. Now at last the SP1 has installed.

If anyone else still has this problem, try Daddydon's solution!

Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:02 PM
  • i had the same problem that vista would not let me rename the folders (SoftwareDistribution & Catroot2) you can get around the problem by:-   'start'  in the search box type 'services' press enter or click on the services program, find windows update and stop it.  rename the folders.  restart pc try to do a manual update keep fingers crossed.  it worked for me best of luck
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:02 PM
  •  

why cant windows vista update? i too keep getting the msg  code 8024200d for about 2wks or so.

HELP

I don't know alot about Comps...so if i could please get an easy to understand response...regards
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Hey robbieDS,

I’ll help if I can. Can you zip all following files/directories,

%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*

And upload them to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=33c8fa80-402e-483f-b3d9-917214bcd056 using the password "@S*r{8oAyZw[12"? Please include your forum alias in the zip file so I know they are your files. I'll see if I can find the root of your problem.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Your link was very successful, I clicked on it and there was a link to install KB947562.  No I do not have to see windows update failed everytime I login. Thanks

Monday, September 08, 2008 9:24 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I just sent you the requested log files as "tranceport - error 8024200D.zip" per your request. Just to let you know, I have tried installing
    KB947562 and it said that it does not apply to my system. I tried moving/deleting/renaming my Software Distribution folder and did not have the appropriate permissions (even though I am local admin).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:49 PM
  • I've tried today for about 7 hours to install SP1 but I didn't succeed.
    Sometimes the stand alone update (Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave1.exe) crashes with a 80070002 error, but mostly the updates ends with a 8024200D error.
    I've tried several things as suggested on the microsoft technet site and microsoft helpsite.
    Most suggested updates to install before SP1 end with a diaglog box "Deze update geldt niet voor uw systeem" (Dutch. In English something like "This update does not apply for your system".
    Updating by Windows Update results in the same problems.
    SP2 does not install unless SP1 is installed.
    How to go on?
    Can I send you some files/directories to look at this problem?

I've bought an HP Pavilion Elite m9260.nl PC with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit in August 2008.
    Some months later I've installed Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (for Upgrade Use Only).
    SP1 is offered to me since november 2008 and I've tried to intall it for 12 times over these months but it never succeeded to install.

Ronnay.

Note:
    I've found a solution in another thread.
    Microsoft support advised me to install KB947562, but that update didn't apply to my system.

The thread I've found someone says:
    Uninstall KB954366
    Uninstall KB957388
    Reboot
    Install KB947562
    Reboot
    Install SP1.

And that did it. I've used the dowloaded All Languages stand alone Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave1.exe.

Thanks anyway.
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:33 PM
  • I am having this problem.  I have tried most of what I have seen in this thread.  I might have assumed that this specific problem would have been fixed by now, so maybe this is a new twist with the same symptoms.  Regardless, should I zip up the above files and send them to the above site?
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:37 PM
  • This is the response I got from support regarding this issue.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support. My name is Joyce and I am glad to work with you. You can contact me directly by sending an email to EMAIL REMOVED with the case ID SRX1114375315 in the subject line.

From your description, I understand that Vista Service Pack 1 failed to install with the error code 8024200D. We will work together to resolve this specific issue through the course of the case. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know. I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

During the Windows Vista SP1 installation, one of the most common causes of failure occurs when a third-party application holds open a file or locks a file that the Service Pack installation program has to use. For example, a third-party antivirus or antispyware application may cause this problem. If you are running any third-party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.), I recommend temporarily disabling or shutting them down during the troubleshooting process. Please be sure to re-enable them once the process has completed.

If your original system is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version preinstalled in the computer, I recommend contacting the computer manufacturer before installing Windows Vista SP1. Please confirm with the manufacturer if there are any updates available for the software applications and hardware drivers installed in the computer prior to installing Windows Vista SP1.  Updating software and hardware drivers will reduce the chance of any unexpected problems that may occur during the installation of Windows Vista SP1. 

After that, I recommend running Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool. System resources, such as file data, registry data, and even in-memory data, can develop inconsistencies during the lifetime of the operating system. These inconsistencies can be caused by various hardware failures or software issues. In some cases, these inconsistencies can affect the Windows servicing store, and they can cause software updates not to work. We can run Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool to resolve these inconsistencies. When Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool detects incorrect manifests, files, or registry data, it might replace the incorrect data with a corrected version. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Run Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool

====================================

1. Please download and run Reset Windows Update Tool from the link below:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9665683

2. Please download and run System Update Readiness Tool from the link below according to the System Type:

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 32-bit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b4d90b06-c27d-4483-bc1f-04d43fa7b293

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 64-bit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=f6f353c0-d00e-43e7-97ef-0feefc7ff064

Note: It may take an hour or longer to detect and replace the incorrect data, please be patient. When it is finished, please restart the computer and install Windows Vista SP1 again.

If Windows Vista SP1 still cannot be installed, I suggest downloading the Standalone Installer and installing it in Clean Boot Mode.

Step 2: Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer

====================================================

1. Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below according to the System Type:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 544.3MB)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f559842a-9c9b-4579-b64a-09146a0ba746&DisplayLang=en

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 64-bit (Size: 873.0MB)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=86d267bd-dfcd-47cf-aa76-dc0626dcdf10&DisplayLang=en

2. Please save it on the Desktop.

If you have a dial-up connection, I believe it will be inconvenient to download the Standalone Installer due to its large size. If you have a US or Canada address, we can order a SP1 DVD for you free of charge. In order to deliver the DVD to you as soon as possible, I need to verify your current shipping address.

Name to ship to (if not you):

Street address:

City:

State:

Zip Code:

Phone (for the shipping company to use, should they need to contact you):

If you don't have a US or Canada address, please order the SP1 DVD from the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb738089.aspx

Step 3: Install Windows Vista SP1 in Clean Boot Mode

=========================================

Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Vista SP1.:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All", click "OK" and restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP1.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

If the issue persists, please collect a screenshot of the error message and the latest System Information for further research. Please be sure that the information does not contain any of your confidential and private information. It’s for troubleshooting purposes only. Thank you for understanding.

How to capture a Screenshot

======================

1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on the keyboard.

2. Click "Start", point to "All Programs", point to "Accessories" and then click "Paint".

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save". The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: screenshot.

Note: Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box. Save the screenshot file to the Desktop.

System Information

===============

The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start the System Information.

2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save", type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on the left pane, and click Save.

3. Right-click on the exported file, choose "Send To" -> "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

Please send these zip files to EMAIL REMOVED .

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or a Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking "Attach".

After obtaining the information, I will research it and get back to you as soon as possible. Please take your time with the steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:02 PM
  • Has anyone tested the above post with success???

If not, how can I contact Microsoft support to help with a similar problem?
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Clear all the temporray files; using Disk cleanup;

and then give a try.

Thanks that works great!

Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Hi Michael Giusty and others,

I have been struggling with this problem for a long time. The error Code 8024200D keeps coming up and I have tried all the suggestions from this and other sites. I have also been in touch with a technical expert in India about it and he has given up (I will supply the trail of our corresponcence). This has taken me days.

I am trying to upload the files as suggested by Michael Giusty, but the password does not seem to be working any more (do I include " and ?).

This is getting very frustrating, because as I understand it my version of Windows Vista Business is no longer supported without SP1 and a number of applications (including upgrade to Windows 7) require SP1. Please help.

Thanks, Roel

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:47 AM
  • Method 1: Run the System Update Readiness tool (Checksur.exe)

Download and run the System Update Readiness tool. This tool runs a one-time scan for inconsistencies that may prevent future servicing operations.

For more information about how to download and run the Checksur.exe tool

Here is a link to download and install the System Update Readiness Tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0435684b-8d12-4028-9cb0-b2903257f1fd&displaylang=en

If this does not work, you can try to download the update manually and then install it.

Here is a link to download the update:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7d72f845-9feb-4685-a669-f9d6ab54f9ed&displaylang=en

Try these steps and let us know if it works.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Method 1: Run the System Update Readiness tool (Checksur.exe)

Download and run the System Update Readiness tool. This tool runs a one-time scan for inconsistencies that may prevent future servicing operations.

For more information about how to download and run the Checksur.exe tool

Here is a link to download and install the System Update Readiness Tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0435684b-8d12-4028-9cb0-b2903257f1fd&displaylang=en

If this does not work, you can try to download the update manually and then install it.

Here is a link to download the update:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7d72f845-9feb-4685-a669-f9d6ab54f9ed&displaylang=en

Try these steps and let us know if it works.

I had this same problem on my windows vista ultimate 32 bit SP2.

The solution from Francisco Martin Garcia resolved the problem. I had to use the second link (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7d72f845-9feb-4685-a669-f9d6ab54f9ed&displaylang=en) to download the update in install in manually. Using the first link i had an error message wich said: The update is not for your system.

Thank you Francisco ;)

Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:32 PM
  • I'm also having same problems for last few attempts to auto update and manual.  will try and zip those files/directories and upload them and then try the fix

here goes...

Saturday, August 07, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Gaurav,

I had different KB's fail, but this is what allowed mine to succeed:

1.) I Ran Disk Cleanup (right-click on C-drive, properties)

2.) I Turned off my Windows Firewall (Not sure if this helped but levels the playing field)

3.) Turned off Defender

4.) Clicked on the Try Again button.

It successfully installed the remaining updates and had to reboot and configure them.

When I logged back on I turned on the Firewall and ensured the security was enabled.

Best of Luck!

The Corporate Hacker

Friday, September 17, 2010 4:36 PM
  • The System Update Readiness Tool did the trick.

Thanks!!!

Friday, August 26, 2011 8:09 AM