none
restart problem in hp dc7800 convertible with windows 7 ultimate

Question

• Hi

I have recently installed Windows 7 x64 on a HP dc7800 CONVERTIBLE. I have problem with simple pci  controller driver not recognized.  I am able to shut down and restart my pc no problem, but if I try to restart directly from within Windows then it does not work, it closes down windows and attempts to load up again, but then keeps cycling between the HP bootup screen and a black screen. 
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kindly
    kamal
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:32 AM

Answers

• but your skill level is lacking to make me comfortable enough to have you proceed ???
    May be am not native english speaker
    but am computer engineer and working as IT consultant
    anyway thanks>>i called hp online support
    they told me that my os not supported and when driver released they will inform me
    thx mr expert
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:43 PM

All replies

• Too little information and slightly confusing by what you mean by "restart directly from Windows 7 and then you mention HP booup screen and a black screen"  please be more detailed as to what you mean.  Was this an upgrade from Vista or a clean install of Windows 7? Have you updated your bios and drivers from HP's website http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3459245&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3459241&lang=en&cc=us
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:19 PM
  • this is clean installation
    i mean when i choose restart from windows   it does not work, it closes down windows and attempts to load up again, but then keeps cycling between the HP bootup screen and a black screen.
    i didn't find bios upgrade for this model and i talked to customer support of HP, they told me that this driver not released for ultimate , i found only for proffessional and enterprise and home basic versions.
    i tried to install bios driver for these version but it doesn't work
    last question is ultimate a name of one of the above three versions?
    many thx for ur support and i want to know what should i do exactly

thx in advance

mkamal
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 12:18 AM
  • SORRY BUT MY MODEL DC7800 CONVERTIBLE MINI TOWER NOT SMALL ONE
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 12:23 AM
  • It looks like HP has decided to configure their tools to work with specific Windows 7 operating systems which didn't include yours. In fact, almost everything else but yours. I would make suggestions on how to proceed, but your skill level is lacking to make me comfortable enough to have you proceed. I am still not comfortable too with your description of cycling between the HP boot screen and Windows 7.  The only suggestion I can make at this point is for you to restore your HP machine back to its default if you have the recovery disk available. Then you can upgrade your bios and other drivers based on your previous operating system.  Also, how do you get into windows? How would you restart Windows if it doesn't work correctly from within Windows?  It seems to me that if HP has built Windows 7 tools, drivers etc for all but Ultimate then it should only be a matter of time before they do, since they do have it for the 32bit version of Ultimate and almost all other 64bit os's, so their logic defies logic at this point. 
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 9:43 AM
  • but your skill level is lacking to make me comfortable enough to have you proceed ???
    May be am not native english speaker
    but am computer engineer and working as IT consultant
    anyway thanks>>i called hp online support
    they told me that my os not supported and when driver released they will inform me
    thx mr expert
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:43 PM
  • The BIOS update for the dc7800 really sucks.  HP provides a Windows based BIOS update utility for the, dc5700, dc7600, and the dc7900, but not the dc7800 for some odd reason.

I have tried downloading the several of the BIOS updates for the dc7800 to see if I could make a bootable flash drive or something, but as far as I can tell I need to provide my own bootable flash drive and copy the files to it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on making a USB drive bootable in order to flash the BIOS?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3459243&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3459240&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4054#120

Friday, June 03, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Windows 7 is the latest operating system and much more popular than Vista and previous versions. However, while working on Windows 7 there are number of things which can stop it from working properly and the most irrating problem is windows 7 restarting. To fix this issue you have to see what actually is the cause of the problem as it is little difficult to detect so follow the step by step solution to fix windows 7 restart problems

Step 1: Check that you have updated antivirus installed in your system if not do update it

Step 2: When you turn on your PC, you have to check that whether your fan in still running in the very beginning or not. If your computer is affected by virus then your fan will continue running without anything on the screen.

Step 3: If your fan is still running, you have to reinstall your windows operating system and if your fan is not running the al you have to do is to turn off your computer. Now open your CPU befor that remove all he cords that are attached to it.

Step 4: Computer restarting might also be due to overheating. It happens when the CPU is not getting a lot of air flow, when you turn on the computer, the PC temperature goes up high and because of that computers need fans. But what is causing the PC to over heat? Well, it can be DUST!!!

Step 5: Now its the time for a PC clean up. Get your paper towel and q-tips. Have your magnetic strip handy, or if you don't have a magnetic strip, touch the power supply to ground your self from any electromagnetic shock.

Step 6: Get your q-tips and clean the Dust off your CPU fan. The air is not going through to the CPU, that's why the computer shuts it self down, so that the computer would not catch on fire. Clean every hole on the computer case, make sure its clear for air to enter. Your CPU fan should look like the picture.

Step 7:Clean all dust off of the computer case. Once you are done, close the computer and plug everything back in. Start your PC is it should load up. It will work fine.

source: http://www.freesolutionstore.com/computer/windows-7-restart-problem.html
    Sunday, September 04, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Well, the problem ,as I see it, when you press the restart button in Win7 the box goes down, shows the boot screen will show for a couple of seconds, a "black" screen will appear and the after ca 10 seconds the boot screen again. This is a loop that never will end! So this has nothing to do with overheating at all!
    Friday, October 07, 2011 9:06 AM
  • but v cant tell that restarting is not a matter combined with OVER HEATING!!! overheating can also cause the system to restart & HALT!!!.. Mr.Kamal u try this thing!!

OPEN THE CPU COVER...CHECK WHETHER THERMAL GEASE is present or not!!!The purpose is that  Thermal grease is primarily used in the electronics and computer industries to assist a heat sink to draw heat away from a semiconductor component such as an integrated circuit or Micro processor.The thermal compound which is used to fill in the tiny gaps in the surfaces of the CPU and heatsink is probably dried up, if it is dried up u need to aplly it again!!!!!, before u take off the processor buy ur self some thermal paset cause u need the thermal past to keep the processor cool between the heat sink and the processor. .Add the thermal past to the cpu and not the heatsink. only add a small amount to the cpu at the middle of the cpu, if u add alot it will over flow and go into the cpu circuit and short circuit it. just add a small amount like about this big(-)<--- that big, then with ur index finger, rub the thermal compound all over the top of the cpu until the hole top area is covered with thermal compound and then reattach the cpu to the motherboard then the heatsink.

[please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

• Edited by Thefazu Friday, October 07, 2011 10:22 AM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 10:08 AM
  • but v cant tell that restarting is not a matter combined with OVER HEATING!!! overheating can also cause the system to restart & HALT!!!.. Mr.Kamal u try this thing!!

OPEN THE CPU COVER...CHECK WHETHER THERMAL GEASE is present or not!!!The purpose is that  Thermal grease is primarily used in the electronics and computer industries to assist a heat sink to draw heat away from a semiconductor component such as an integrated circuit or Micro processor.The thermal compound which is used to fill in the tiny gaps in the surfaces of the CPU and heatsink is probably dried up, if it is dried up u need to aplly it again!!!!!, before u take off the processor buy ur self some thermal paset cause u need the thermal past to keep the processor cool between the heat sink and the processor. .Add the thermal past to the cpu and not the heatsink. only add a small amount to the cpu at the middle of the cpu, if u add alot it will over flow and go into the cpu circuit and short circuit it. just add a small amount like about this big(-)<--- that big, then with ur index finger, rub the thermal compound all over the top of the cpu until the hole top area is covered with thermal compound and then reattach the cpu to the motherboard then the heatsink.

[please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

The problem I see is very simple to explain! If you within Windows pust the Restart button because you want the box to restart for any reason the box closes in a mode that looks OK and the bootscreen appears after a while, the screen goes "black" for 10 to 15 seconds and then the boot screen again. If you push the HW On Off button the box starts without any problems and it can run for ever without any indication of owerheating!
    There are a lot of fancy security set up in the BIOS but so far I have not found anything that will fix the problem.
    I also updated the BIOS to 1.34 without any improvements! Everything is working great but the restart is not in order!
    It is very importand to see the 2 different situations here! When the box restarts from the result of the overheating alarm and the quit different situation where you yourself chooses to restart the box after an update or just to get a clean start! 
    What our Mr Kamal is getting is just like me, that the person running the PC want to restart the machine and that operation fails, ergo, not an overheating problem!

• Edited by OlleBullen Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:40 AM
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:31 AM
  • hai OlleBullen

I have a doubt that while u are pushing the restart button in CPU  & using  start>restart to restart the system  have the same effect????

regards,

fazil

• Edited by Thefazu Monday, October 10, 2011 6:58 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 6:55 AM
  • I think we are all missing the point here. This is not an over heating issue. Let me try and explain the problem because i am going through the same as we speak on a Win7 Ultimate instalation on an HP machine.

When I try to restart the machine from within windows, it shuts down, it restarts, shows a splash screen and stops on the black screen; keyboard does not respond' green lights on the machine stay solid no blinking. To get the machine going again I have to turn it off at the power button and then it starts right.

However, from within windows if I shut down, machine shuts down correctly. And a start from the power button starts the machine everytime.

Suggestions anyone.

I hope i was able to illuminate better.

Thank you.

• Edited by MRogod Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:03 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:01 PM
  •  

Hai MRogod 

now i understood the correct issue...  lets think what may be the issue that can probably cause this..i gone behind the restart process in a windows OS but ended up with nothing.....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

lets check this.. Go to above registry path.. check any values is present there,, if there means simply select all & delete that.. this registry key tells the OS that wer there is a restart pending ... 

Also check this link:- http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_checker.mspx?mfr=true

Do a system scan by RUN>CMD> type SFC\SCANNOW

Regards fazil

[Please remember to click this as marked as helpful if u find it useful.. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.]

• Edited by Thefazu Friday, October 14, 2011 6:02 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:02 AM
  • hai again,

another guessing:- remove the CMOS battery & restart the machine....tHEN try restaring from within the windows.......(thESE are all my assumptions.. it may not work... But v will  keep on trying till v find a solution)

also try a clean reboot

Regards fazil

[Please remember to click this as marked as helpful if u find it useful.. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.]

• Edited by Thefazu Friday, October 14, 2011 6:31 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:15 AM
  • hai,

First make sure VSS service running.. Enable System Restore in Your Drive. For that u go http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/81499-system-restore-configuration-enable-disable.html

Regards fazil

• Edited by Thefazu Friday, October 14, 2011 6:57 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:57 AM
  • I have the same problem with a dc7800 sff will shut down but when restart it will loop in a black screen maybe someone has an idea where to look for a solution?I have windows 7 utimate 64bit
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Wow. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I can start my computer perfectly fine and shut it down fine. I can also restart from the login screen but the same problem is here. I cannot restart directly from windows when I'm at the desktop. Running Windows 7 64bit in DC7800 4gb ram and E4500.

It's only just annoying not being able to restart and if you accidentally do, you have to manually hard power it off by the button or by removing the cable (bad for comp).

I personally think it's a non-windows 7 configured oem computer even thought you can run windows 7 on it fine. I'm pretty sure everything would work if it was either windows xp or vista (vista is gross).

Sunday, September 14, 2014 5:42 AM
  • I have a HP DC 7900 CMT (convertible minitower.)

The restart loop is there with Win 7 Ultimate.   The restart problem is NOT present with windows Home editions and windows Professional editions.

But with the other editions there arise problems if you download and install drivers from the HP site.As soon as you install, the sounddriver or the drivers for mass storage etc, windows update will not work anymore.  Also it is not possible to use windows live mail anymore.   These drivers corrupt the system.

Use only the bios update.  Note that there are 2 versions of the bios.  The newest bios update might not be applicable for your system.

If you do not believe me, make a restorepoint before you install any drivers from hp.  And see what happens if you do install them.  Without restorepoint you can start allover with a clean install.  

Also, When the DC7900 is set to AHCI which it is by default, BSOD 's will happen after the system is going to sleep.  Not everytime, but it happens.  

Do NOT install a second drive if you use the Esata connector, the system will freeze.  You have to clean the CMOS (take the battery out or push the button)  to be able to boot again.

Since I was installing a ssd as systemdrive, I wanted two drives to be installed.  Obviously the other for data storage.   I now have set the sata emulation in the bios to IDE mode.  No more BSOD.

Now, the network card is unreliable.  (was not before the case)  I can start up and the networkcard is not working.  Drivers are installed, no new drivers.

I put an old networkcard in although it does not work, after taking it out and restarting,  the onboard network card works as if there was never a problem.   I read somewhere another (working) networkcard would solve this problem.  So I am looking for one. ;-)

These symptoms were seen on a clean install. With checked components.  fully scanned with avast including rootkits and what more, and the full scan with malwarebytes.

These HP's are problematic...  ;-)

Been bussy with this DC7900 of and on for a week now. Because I cannot and will not give up.But I have never seen such an unreliable, and illogiical system.    Good luck with your problemchild ;-)

• Proposed as answer by pcprutser Wednesday, January 21, 2015 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:58 PM