none
DPM and Azure Backup Vault questions and disaster recovery plan RRS feed

• Question

• Currently, I have a DPM server that is running disk backups on-premise and in an Azure Backup Vault.

Unfortunately in Azure portal, the backup item count for DPM is 0.

In the DPM Admin console it shows that Azure is registered and that i have stored data on it.

I have done a recovery from Azure and it seemed to have worked. 

Questions:

1. In the Azure Backup Vault should the backup item count for DPM be 1? Is that for IaaS based DPM Servers? Why am i not seeing my server? Is it not implemented yet?

2. How can I see the stored date in Azure? It doesn't seem to be shown anywhere in the backup vault... just in my DPM console? Is that accurate? 

3. If let's say... the building where i work would burn down along with my DPM server and the disks what would be the disaster recovery plan? Do I have to save the DPM Databases in an Azure VM and then copy them locally, reinstall DPM, associate the databases with the new install and do a recovery from Azure? That's how it works? If I do that will I be able to restore from Azure? Won't it just mess up the restored database since the disk backups aren't there anymore?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, October 12, 2018 11:07 AM

Answers

• Hello Bogdan!

I will try to answer your questions as good as I can.

1. The "backup items" are the protected items that you are protecting in your DPM, and they should show in the Azure Recovery Services Vault.
    Basically if you have protected a server that has let's say two (2) drives, the backup item count would be two (2).

Example

I have seven (7) items backed up from my on-premises DPM to Azure.

2. You can see what is being backed up on the Recovery Services Vault, when you see your backup items, you can click on it to see what has been backed up.

Example

As mentioned previously, I have seven (7) items backed up from my on-premises to Azure, once I click on the item counts I will see the following screen:

3. Everything is stored in the DPM database so this is very crucial, make sure to backup the DPM database to either Azure or any other location.
    If you have a backup of your DPM database, and let's say a disaster happens and your DPM server is completely lost, you can then install a new DPM server and restore the database from either Azure or any other location to the new DPM server and you should be good again.

I've created a guide on how to setup an Azure Backup Vault with DPM2016, you can find it here:

Setting up an Azure Backup Vault registration with DPM 2016

I hope you found this helpful.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, October 12, 2018 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hello Bogdan!

I will try to answer your questions as good as I can.

1. The "backup items" are the protected items that you are protecting in your DPM, and they should show in the Azure Recovery Services Vault.
    Basically if you have protected a server that has let's say two (2) drives, the backup item count would be two (2).

Example

I have seven (7) items backed up from my on-premises DPM to Azure.

2. You can see what is being backed up on the Recovery Services Vault, when you see your backup items, you can click on it to see what has been backed up.

Example

As mentioned previously, I have seven (7) items backed up from my on-premises to Azure, once I click on the item counts I will see the following screen:

3. Everything is stored in the DPM database so this is very crucial, make sure to backup the DPM database to either Azure or any other location.
    If you have a backup of your DPM database, and let's say a disaster happens and your DPM server is completely lost, you can then install a new DPM server and restore the database from either Azure or any other location to the new DPM server and you should be good again.

I've created a guide on how to setup an Azure Backup Vault with DPM2016, you can find it here:

Setting up an Azure Backup Vault registration with DPM 2016

I hope you found this helpful.

Best regards,
    Leon

Friday, October 12, 2018 12:56 PM
  • Hello Leon, 

Thank you for the quick answer as well as the great response.

Great guide by the way. It seems like I did everything from there.

Now the problem....

It seems like it did an initial registration but it is not synchronizing.

Answer 1 and 2 are great... it's just my problem it seems...

Have you run into this problem? Are you running DPM on-premise or in Azure IaaS?

What type of subscription do you have?

Regarding answer 3. if lets say it happens and I have an older version of the DPM database let's say a month old. How does it work? Does it update to include the data I have in Azure?

I also wanted to attach pictures but it didn't let me... working on that aswell and will post them as soon as I can. 

Thank you for all the help so far.

Friday, October 12, 2018 2:48 PM
  • I have tried this with both a "Free Trial" subscription and a "Pay-As-You-Go" subscription and both worked fine.

I have neither ran into this problem or heard about it, which makes this case interesting.

Regarding 3. when you restore a DPM database you will need to perform a DPMSync which is a command-line tool that enables you to synchronize the DPM database with the state of the disks in the storage pool and with the installed protection agents.

The DPMSync tool restores the DPM database, synchronizes the DPM database with the replicas in the storage pool, restores the report database and reallocates missing replicas.

By the way, you will probably need to get your account verified to be able to post pictures,
    you can get it verified by posting on this thread.

Friday, October 12, 2018 3:50 PM
  • Unfortunately I can't do much. I just have to wait until my request is approved. 
    I posted on that thread before replying here.

For point 3. do you have to have all the databases? (like lets say the reporting databases) or just the ones that hold the information about the data?

Friday, October 12, 2018 6:19 PM
  • The main database that holds all the information about data, reporting is just for reporting :)

Friday, October 12, 2018 6:34 PM
  • Hello Leon,

Just out of curiosity what version of DPM are you using?

Currently i'm using DPM 2016 v 5.0.361.0 with Azure backup agent 2.0.9127.0.

I've had a call with someone from MS and was told that I will not see my data in the portal due to how DPM is built. Could you confirm that is the case?

Monday, October 15, 2018 7:35 AM
  • Currently I'm using DPM 1807 in my lab, recently upgraded from DPM 1801 and both have been working without any issues with Azure.

When I created my guide that I mentioned above I did it on DPM 2016 with Update Rollup 5.

I will install a DPM 2016 on my lab today once I have some more time to check this out once more.

Monday, October 15, 2018 7:45 AM
  • Hello Leon,

I just upgraded from DPM 2016 UR 5 to DPM 1801.

Did a new recovery point to Azure. It did not appear.

I ugraded from DPM 1801 to 1807. Data on Azure started syncronizing.

Gonna do a recovery point now. Most likely this will solve the problem.

Most likely data won't update in Azure with DPM 2016 as it did with my installation. I can't post the pictures that I wanted to show you earlier in our conversation because my account hasn't been validated yet. I will if you are still interested.

Thank you once again for all the help Leon.

Monday, October 15, 2018 10:33 AM
  • Okay, that's strange but glad to hear you got progress, I'd be glad to hear about your progress!

I will give it a try on my DPM 2016 environment later on.

Monday, October 15, 2018 10:37 AM
  • Hello Leon, 

Seems like finally my account got verified.

So... if you are still interested these are pictures from before the upgrade. (DPM 2016 U5)

From Azure:

From DPM:

Also... while having this DPM 2016 the only way of finding how much data I had was this:

Right now the only problem is that under protected servers the value for DPM is 0. 

If I select DPM though my protected resources appear. I've been told that the problem might be the Azure backup agent version (which is currently 2.0.9127.0). I will proceed with upgrading it and see if there is a difference.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:14 AM
  • Thanks for sharing!

I just tried in my lab with my DPM 2016 (both without any Update Rollup and with Update Rollup 5) and I can confirm that it does not show up under Backup Items in Azure (Azure Backup Agent version 2.0.9145.0)

I also tried with 2-3 previous versions of the Azure Backup Agent and the same issue, looks more like a problem with DPM 2016.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 7:35 PM
  • Could you please share the link to the Azure Backup Agent latest version?

I can't seem to find it...

Thursday, October 18, 2018 7:37 PM
  • That doesn't really look like a download link.

Also the most recent version over there seems to be 2.0.9077.0.

I already have installed 2.0.9127.0.

Trying to get it from the Azure portal just redirected me to an older version.

Since i saw you mentioned 2.0.9145.0 I imagined that is the latest one and wanted a link to that one.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 7:43 PM
  • Ah thought you meant a link for the older versions, here's a link to the newest one:

https://aka.ms/azurebackup_agent
    (2.0.9145.0)

Thursday, October 18, 2018 7:45 PM
  • Thank you. 

I updated to the latest version of Agent. Waiting to see if there is any update in the Azure portal.

Friday, October 19, 2018 8:29 AM