none
system error 67 and 53

Question

• I'm trying to map a drive (Z) to an external network attached storage device. I've troubleshot the device itself and everything is fine. The problem is with Windows 7 Ultimate not being able to find that or any other network share. By that, I mean that the network map shows the devices, but when you try to connect with a UNC link, it can't do it.

C:\Users\Username>net use Z: "\\goflex_home\GoFlex Home Public" password /user:username
    System error 67 has occurred.

The network name cannot be found.

C:\Users\Username>net view \\goflex_home
    System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

Everyone I've talked to at the vendor support site (Seagate) agrees that this is a Windows networking problem, not a device problem.

Can you help me figure out what settings or services need to be tweaked to enable drive mapping via UNC through net use?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:55 PM

Answers

• Solved. It was the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service that was turned off which caused the problem. I started it and now can map the drives. Thanks for the help, though.
    • Marked as answer by rcwatson Friday, August 24, 2012 4:09 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 4:09 AM

All replies

• Try the same with firewall disabled.

Is usename known in target computer?

Regards

Milos

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:18 PM
  • All firewalls disabled = same error.

Username is known on the target. It's not really a computer, per-se, but a hard drive attached to a network device. See http://www.seagate.com/home-entertainment/media-sharing-devices/goflex-home/

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:59 AM
  • Hi,

First, you need to make certain that both computers have physical connection. Then you can try to use IP instead if computer name for check. (Remeber to ping remote storage device under CMD).

Also, based on my research Net view is only for accessing system on the same network. Net view would come in handy if you were trying to access another computer on your work network, while you were still at work. It will not work across the internet to access remote device.

What I think if you're looking for is a remote access solution(if not just ignore all the following content).

Have a look at the following links and see if they're do what you're looking for:

·         Windows Live Mesh: Connect to a computer remotely

·         Windows Live Mesh: Sync folders between computers

If so, download Windows Live Mesh from here:

Windows Live Mesh 2011

Also, you can check the below link for System Error 67:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/104579-System-Error-67

Hope this helps.

Your Name

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:58 PM
  • I'm not trying to connect to a remote computer over the internet. I'm trying to connect to a local computer on my local wireless network.

I have a Linksys router connected (hardwired) to my computer.

Also attached to the router is the Seagate GoFlex NAS hard drive i provided the link for.

I want the computer to see the GoFlex drive like it's designed to do. I can definitely do the Z: drive mapping from another laptop on the network. The laptop is running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit).

The computer that cannot map Z: to the GoFlex drive is running Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit).

The only difference between these two computers is that the Windows 7 Ultimate computer throws "System error 67 has occurred." when I try to use NET USE to manually map it to Z:.

On the Windows 7 Pro machine, I can also see the drive via Windows Explorer and by UNC path syntax. Not so with the Win7 Ultimate computer. It just pauses for a bit then says "Windows cannot access \\goflex_home".

It offers details saying "Error code: 0x80070043 The network name cannot be found" and a "Diagnose" button. Clicking the Diagnose button goes to a Detecting Problems screen, which runs for a few seconds, and then says "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem." The diagnosis details are:

Network Diagnostics Log
    File Name: 2E5BD607-0EC6-4D59-AEDE-2C80924469F8.Diagnose.0.etl
    Informational
    Other Networking Configuration and Logs
    File Name: NetworkConfiguration.cab
    Collection information
    Computer Name: SERVER
    Windows Version:
    Architecture:
    amd64
    Time:

Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:40:07 PM

Windows Network Diagnostics
    <data id="Description" name="Description">Detects problems with network connectivity.</data>
    Package Version:
    Publisher:
    Microsoft Windows

I tried applying the hotfix that's supposed to "make things right" (direct file download is here), but it aborts partway through, saying "The update is not applicable to your computer."

What can I do to make the Win7 Ultimate computer act like the Win7 Pro machine? What's the missing piece? Is it a service or services? Is it a DLL? What does this mysterious hotfix do that maybe I could perform manually? Why so mysterious?

• Edited by rcwatson Friday, August 24, 2012 2:47 AM added a link
    Friday, August 24, 2012 2:46 AM
  • Hi,

Do you enable Network Discovery in Windows 7? Click Start->Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center, click Change advanced sharing settings. Enable the option. <o:p></o:p>

Your Name

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:56 AM
  • Network discovery is already enabled. 
    Friday, August 24, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Friday, August 24, 2012 3:33 AM
  • Friday, August 24, 2012 3:33 AM
  • Solved. It was the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service that was turned off which caused the problem. I started it and now can map the drives. Thanks for the help, though.
    • Marked as answer by rcwatson Friday, August 24, 2012 4:09 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 4:09 AM