none
Can I create a domain in Windows 10 Pro? RRS feed

All replies

• You can join a domain, but creating domains is reserved for Windows Server.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, December 15, 2017 4:13 AM
  • Hi

You can install Hyper-V and setup a virtual Domain with VM's.

Friday, December 15, 2017 4:23 AM
  • Hi,

I was wondering if i can create a domain in windows 10pro?

Thank you

No, that's a Server role instead of client.

Even in Hyper-V, you need to create a Windows Server Virtual Machine to host the domain instead of Windows Client edition.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 18, 2017 6:54 AM
  • Karen, so you are saying it is possible to install Hyper-V on windows 10 Professional and then create a Virtual Machine there with a Windows Server installed. Then host the domain on that Virtual Machine, correct?

Nam

Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:33 PM
  •   Yes you can do that if the host machine has enough resources to host a vm and you know how to set up the networking so that the host and guest are in the same network.

Bill

Sunday, January 6, 2019 10:22 PM
  • Bill, Great. I loved to hear that. Do you happen to know an online link/tutorial etc that I can use to achieve what you are suggesting. I'll appreciate your help.

Nam

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 12:28 AM
  •   It is not the sort of thing you do from a Howto guide. It really depends on why you want to do this. What are you hoping to achieve when you have a domain controller? Configuring a DC is not trivial and joining the domain will affect how your PC works. A domain-joined PC does not behave like a workgroup PC. It must use the DC only for its DNS, for instance. 

Is your PC on a LAN? Are there other PCs on this LAN?

Bill

• Edited by Bill Grant Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:13 AM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:11 AM
  • I personally wouldn't host a windows server vm on the same machine that will be the client for the domain. Yes, it is possible but screams security issues. The second thing is if that one PC has a failure not only that PC will be offline but so would your domain. Sometimes the easy road to accomplish the task is not the best choice in the book. Personally, I would run a second machine that is built from old parts before my desktop upgrade. In order to do this, you will need a windows license for server though which is really pricey for this type of feature imo.
    • Edited by thebleak13 Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:27 AM oof
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:26 AM