none
Folder View?

Question

• 2 things I found missing on Windows 7 RC

1. No option to save "open folders" on exit, cant remember the exact setting it was in folder options, but it was there in all other windows, Beta 7000, Vista etc... Anyway I can find this setting?

2. Control Panel Classic View, I prefer the classic view, so I can see everything, although I have changed the "control panel" view to "View by 'Large/Small Icons'", not the same as classic view, but does show all the items available under control panel (I hope).
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 7:35 PM

Answers

• Thanks, but that simply changes the icon sizes, I think 2. can be ignored, as when all icons are shown its just a fancy new way of the classic view.

More interested in numb 1 though...

Hi

Here are all of the changes to Folder Options.

General Tab:
    Removed=
    Tasks Section.
    Show previews and filters
    Use Windows classic folders
    Added=
    Navigation Section.
    Show all folders
    Automatically expand to current folder

View Tab:
    Removed=
    Display simple folder view in Navigation pane
    Remember each folders view settings
    Restore previous folders windows at logon
    Added=
    Hide empty drives in the computer folder

Search Tab:
    Removed=
    Always search file names only

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:11 AM

All replies

• 2 things I found missing on Windows 7 RC

1. No option to save "open folders" on exit, cant remember the exact setting it was in folder options, but it was there in all other windows, Beta 7000, Vista etc... Anyway I can find this setting?

2. Control Panel Classic View, I prefer the classic view, so I can see everything, although I have changed the "control panel" view to "View by 'Large/Small Icons'", not the same as classic view, but does show all the items available under control panel (I hope).

Don't have an answer for # 1. but for the control panel select icons, whichever size you like. HTH

Ed Propes
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Thanks, but that simply changes the icon sizes, I think 2. can be ignored, as when all icons are shown its just a fancy new way of the classic view.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:22 PM

Hi

General Tab:
    Removed=
    Tasks Section.
    Added=
    Navigation Section.
    Show all folders

View Tab:
    Removed=
    Added=

Search Tab:
    Removed=

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Thanks Ronnie, was driving me crazy searching for it, now that I know its officially be removed I can start crying how much it meant to me, and how my life depended on it....

Bring back
    "Restore previous folders windows at logon"!

Getting this error since RC has been installed (see screen shots)

http://img24.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=xvidp.png - "xvidcore.dll not found"

Here's what happens, I open Windows Media player, regardless of if Ive playing music/media through media player or if Im playing music, or if its just idle, but open, these 2 errors appear and then it closes WMP.

the first error that appears is teh 1 saying xvi core missing, click ok or close and then the second 1 appears, stating Runtime Error
    [URL=http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=runtime.png][IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6166/runtime.png[/IMG][/URL]
    [URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img23/runtime.png/1/][IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/runtime.png/1/w504.png[/IMG][/URL]
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:28 AM
  • I find this to be a huge problem.  Windows 7 is supposed to be "more advanced" but you have less folder view / folder options than you did in XP.

People WANT "classic view".
    People WANT to be able to customize

SHBBY!  In windows 7, if you tell it to show hidden files, you get a desktop.ini FILE ICON on your dang DESKTOP!!

What happened to customizing EVERY FOLDER separately?

and why can't I move the "pinned" applications section of the task bar? 

This is really starting to frustrate me.  I want to work MY WAY, which was possible in 2k and xp.  now, you guys want me to change EVERYTHING I used to do and do it your way?

I want my "quickstart" (aka pinned applications) back.  I want to move them to the RIGHT so they're right next to the task tray...
    And DAMN IT, but I want a "classic" start menu.  This double wide (regardless of the size you choose for your 'icons', it's 3 inches wide on a 22" display...) start menu.

I don't mind START/PROGRAMS/PROGRAMFOLDER...

I HATE type it in, or, select ALL PROGRAMS (from the left side of the start menu, by the way (thus rendering the right side ____ redundant...)

And, when browsing a folder, can I have VIEW FOLDERS back?  Can I have a right click context menu that says "explore" when I hightlight a folder?  PLEASE?

DANG... why is XP the last best OS??
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:07 PM

Hi

General Tab:
    Removed=
    Tasks Section.
    Added=
    Navigation Section.
    Show all folders

View Tab:
    Removed=
    Added=

Search Tab:
    Removed=

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Look at that list.
    MANY Very useful and functional features are removed so that you can have a navigation panel and a preview pane?  How dumb.  Sorry Microsoft - BIG MISS.

John
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:43 AM
  • I agree this was really dumb. Why remove a useful feature that's easy to leave in?
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Yes, I fully agree that that feature to be able to save settings for each individual folder should be brought back in Windows 7. It was an extremely useful tool.
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 6:05 PM
  • I agree - I want the explorer to work as it did in XP, 2K, 98, 95 ..... 15 years down the drain and now we're with this ____.

Bring back Classic Folders, Classic Start Menu, Save each Folders Settings, etc ........

MickeySoft should listen to the CUSTOMER and let me use MY computer the way I want to ...

This is enough to keep me from moving me and my customers to Win7 from WinXP
    Friday, December 25, 2009 3:00 AM

1. I have been struggling with the new Folder view
    2. Using win7  home -   There is NO way to change back to classic Folder view
    3. Even Under XP  -  Folder and File Managment Was a Massive Pain in the butt
    4. However It is almost impossible to believe that MicroSoft actually released a Product That gave US way less functionality and is way more difficult to use.
         AND   this isssue is completely ignored,  as is the mess that was made of All Programs in the START menu

It is completely ironic to me that,   DOS   and even win3.0  had better file management tools  than win 7

And the virtualization using Libraries - what a stupid idea - why not just give us - FOR ONCE in 30 years -   A set of file management tools that work.

Thank you

John
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:03 PM
  • I have one more problem - in XP when you move the arrow keys up or down in tree view, on change in selection of folder, folder contents were shown automatically in the right, but now in Win7 I need to press enter each and every time i move arrow keys :( . It takes lot of key-strokes I hate this. There should be option to enable this.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:16 AM