none
ASIO - Windows Audio issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, just give you the background then the issue.

I have a windows 7 64 bit setup with a creative x-fi fatality pro sound card. I use Ableton 9 and run ASIO4All driver.

I would run Ableton, the asio would kick in and disable windows audio which was fine. when I was finished with Ableton, I would close it down and windows audio would kick back in and everything was fine and there was no configuring to do.

Now all of a sudden,  when I launch Ableton the asio no longer works as it shows the gm wavetable is hogging the output of my soundcard. I have to stop the windows audio service, restart it, then refresh the asio4all program then my sound works in Ableton.

In frustration, I put a fresh install of my OS and this did not seem to solve it as it should have gone back to the way it was before. Has there been an update or is there a way of getting rid of the gm wavetable ?

Thanks in advance for any input anyone has.

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:48 AM

Answers

• Well, after running my system as is with the problem still remaining, I kept to using the bat files I created to turn the windows audio services on and off. To my surprise just two days ago, the system no longer has the problem. The only thing I can put it down to is some .NET packs I have recently installed that may be the answer as nothing else has been done to the system, although a few windows updates have come through too. hope this helps anyone out there.
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:10 PM

All replies

• You must contact Ableton Technical Support about your problem.

If Microsoft deletes the GM Wavetable what are all the other users of Windows 7 supposed to do?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, November 18, 2013 5:46 PM
  • I have contacted ableton support who have recommend contacting Microsoft support as it is their program which no longer has an option to turn it off.

I don't see  why microsoft would delete the GM_wavetable synth from everybody who already has it, so I don't understand where your going with that , could you explain ?. Just a simple method of either uninstalling it or disabling it is what I was looking for, not another brick wall.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Personally I strongly disagree with what Abletron support is telling you and I base that on my experience going back to Windows 95 and my problems with third party software and drivers.  Microsoft publishes all the information for software engineers to build programs that are fully compatible with each and every edition of Windows.  If the software engineers need assistance from Microsoft to make their applications compatible all they have to do is contact Microsoft and/or participate in the appropriate MSDN forum.  It is rare for Microsoft to make changes to Windows to accommodate a very small percentage of third party applications and/or hardware.

Try searching the internet for disable windows 7 gm wavetable and you should find some information that might help you with your problem.  One thread that looks like it might be promising is @ http://mtippach.proboards.com/thread/2061

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Now that's answer ;)

While I have been typing this I have had a flash back and it could possibly be my Microsoft LifeCam which I recently got, that's the only thing that could possibly be hiding in the background grabbing resources from the sound card ! seemed so insignificant I forgot it about it :|  will post back for others if this solves my issue. Thanks for your input rick, good day to you ;)

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Hi Steven, 

Any update on your issue?

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 25, 2013 2:38 AM
    Owner
  • Hi, no success. I just cant understand it. my system ran fine, then it didn't. even a clean install doesn't solve the problem, even tried using all the old drivers rather than updated ones. Resorted to hacking out the roland synth files (gm.dls) to no avail. have resorted to just having 2 bat files to control it. one to turn off the windows audio service and leave the creative service for my sound card running so I can use my DAW and one to turn on the audio service after I have finished with my DAW and want to watch videos or listen to music etc. With more and more people using windows and getting into music production, Microsoft are really letting a seemingly unimportant piece of its system create a massive problem for most budding enthusiasts and therefore a shift to another system (imac). Just a simple interface to switch off this device and stop it hogging the sound card to allow ASIO to do its job or even a windows ASIO driver would be encouraging to the music sector and possibly start a switch back to windows rather than a mac dominated studio. 
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:29 PM
  • Well, after running my system as is with the problem still remaining, I kept to using the bat files I created to turn the windows audio services on and off. To my surprise just two days ago, the system no longer has the problem. The only thing I can put it down to is some .NET packs I have recently installed that may be the answer as nothing else has been done to the system, although a few windows updates have come through too. hope this helps anyone out there.
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Hi Steven,

Glad that your issue was resolved after installing some .net updates.

Your sharing will definitely help other users who encounter the similar issue as yours.

I also learned from you.

Thanks for your patience and efforts put on this issue.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 5, 2013 1:49 AM
    Owner
  • Hi, im experiencing the same issue witth my apollo twin and protools, where can i find that files to solve the issue?
    Wednesday, October 2, 2019 3:19 PM