none
Sharepoint Online Document Information Panel in Word stuck loading RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

We are using SharePoint Online with Office 365. We have a document library with custom content type document in it and custom properties, some of them are lookup values on other list and some are required. We want only some people to be able to edit those documents so we set up SharePoint Group and gave it Contribute level permission on this document library and also read on lists that are set to be looked up, lets call it group A.

Currently we want users to open document in client app (desktop), edit properties in Document Information Panel (DIP), save it and check in. We know there is Detail Pane in web and that we can do this many different ways but this is the idea we can't change right now.

Problem is the Document Information Panel is stuck loading, but only for those users from group A. If I am Site Collection Administrator, I can open the document and DIP loads with all its properties. So this looks like its issue with permissions. 

Does anyone have any idea where to look for? Some other site content they need to access?

Thank you!

David

Friday, October 18, 2019 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

Per my test, the user who has contribute permission level in the document library can open the SharePoint property panel in the word.

Whether the group of users have permission in the site level? If not, try to give a read permission in the site and check if the issue exists.

Besides, you can give a Edit permission in the document library with user and check the result, if it does not stuck in loading, try to switch to the Contribute permission and check again.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, October 21, 2019 7:56 AM
  • Hi Grace,

I should have probably mentioned that we broke inheritance on every item in Site Contents to controll it completely through groups and make sure that we can easily find what user has access where.

So our user should be able to contribute to specific doc. library and thats it.

He is in group A that has contribute permission to this library and also to its content and read permission to associated lists (lookup values used in custom content type). Also, domain group "Everyone except external users" and also the group A gives him Read permission to site collection but not to its site content. 

If we give him same permissions not through group but we add him as user, results are the same. I also tried different levels of permission (Edit, Contribute, Full Control), back and forth, but none of it does it.

I just realized we recently deactivated Site collection feature "Limited-access user permission lockdown mode" because we wanted some users to see only documents assigned to them and also be able to navigate to it. There was some security gap in our setup and deactivating the feature helped us. Could this be related somehow?

What I am going to do is try add Contribute one by one to every site content item and see what it works with.  If that doesn't do it, only thing I know is that Site collection admins can see the properties, therefore there needs to be some specific permission or place on the site that is usually not accesible and users need access to it just to get properties loaded.

If you have any other idea, please, let me know.

Thank you!

David

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Hi Grace,

we recreated the setting in different site collection under same tenant and it worked without a flaw there, we even tried to create new content type but it looks like the site collection itself is broken in this way.

Since debugger for DIP is missing in our tenant, its hard to find some clue about what is wrong and follow it. I tried to access the https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/<sitename>/<doclibraryname>/_layouts/dip/dip.html, I can get my hands on the information panel itself but since it is not linked to any document it is useless.

We have scenarios when it doesn't work and when it does but we don't know why it behaves like that and we need it to work in our scenarios.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

David

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:07 PM
  • Hi David,

Per my test, this scenario seems random in my environment. I test it today with the same permission settings as before, the SharePoint property panel stuck on loading.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Hi Grace,

have you managed to come to any conclusion?

Thank you.

David

Friday, October 25, 2019 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

we have made progress, sort of. We haven't find any good solution to this issue. We have found workaround which is creating new site collection and migrating the old one. That is only thing that worked.

David

Sunday, November 10, 2019 6:28 PM