none
Onedrive opens local install of Office instead of in browser RRS feed

• Question

• A while back I found a setting in Onedrive to open files stored in onedrive with the local installation of Office.  I want to change it back so that it opens in the browser because files I create in onedrive that I try to print with the local install of Word all try to print markup by default and I can't get it to change that behavior.  However, I can't find the setting anymore in onedrive, so I have to right-click every file to open in the browser.  How do I change onedrive to open files in browser instead of local installation of office?
    Monday, November 4, 2019 6:53 PM

All replies

• You mean the one from Library settings?

you need to go to site settings, return to the old view, then you will have on the gear icon 'Site Contents'. After clicking it, go to the three dots next to the 'Documents' library and there in 'Advanced settings' you have the choice:

Default open behavior for browser-enabled documents:

Use the server default (Open in the browser).

The direct URL is:

https://yourtenant-my.sharepoint.com/personal/yourusername/_layouts/15/advsetng.aspx?List=%7BYourEncodedLibraryGUID%7D

[SharePoint lurker]

• Edited by Vlad Țepeș Monday, November 4, 2019 7:35 PM Strange formatting added
    • Proposed as answer by Vlad Țepeș Monday, November 4, 2019 7:53 PM
    Monday, November 4, 2019 7:35 PM
  • Naturally to get the guid of the list, you could do smth similar:

Download the file you get after executing:

https://yourtenant-my.sharepoint.com/personal/yourusername/_api/web/lists

Open it it Notepad++ and use XML tools plugin to format it with line breaks. Now if you search for:

/Documents/

You will see the GUID under:

<d:Id m:type="Edm.Guid">Your unencoded GUID</d:Id>

[SharePoint lurker]

Monday, November 4, 2019 7:44 PM
  • That did it.  Thank you. :)
    Monday, November 4, 2019 7:51 PM
  • Hi BrandonStout,

Thanks for Vlad Țepeș’s contribution on this issue. And would you please mark Vlad Tepe’s replies as answers if they are helpful? Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

If you have any updates, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Emily 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 2:57 AM
  • Hi, 

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If Vlad Țepeș’s reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Emily 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, November 8, 2019 1:46 AM