none
Help - Blue Screen of Death after SP3 update

Question

•  

I downloaded the SP3 update and started the install, which got hung up after running for several hours.  I restarted the computer, and ended up with the blue screen, with the following message:

"Process1_Initialization_Failed

If this is the first time . . . .

*** STOP: 0000006B (0xc0000034, 0x00000002, 0x000000000, 0x00000000)"

I tried to restart in safe mode, but unfortunately cannot get past this screen.  I have a reinstall disk, and can use it to get to a command prompt through recovery console and can get a directory of files, but that's about it.

Any thoughts?  Thanks so much!!

Sunday, June 22, 2008 11:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• If your computer is running Norton GoBack, you could try the fix given here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330134

Sunday, June 22, 2008 12:13 PM
  • Thanks - unfortunately, I can't even get the computer to start up, so I can't disable anything!  (I do have Norton 360, don't think that has goback, but i could be wrong)

Sunday, June 22, 2008 12:16 PM
  • If you have Norton 360 there is a known problem, which you could have circumvented by following the instructions given in the second post  here

http://norton.lithium.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=967&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

which instructs you to disable the self-protect feature in Norton 360.  If failing to do that caused your problem then you have a very very severe manifestation.

From a practical point of view, can you boot from your Windows CD?  You may need to alter your BIOS settings so the computer tries to boot from the CD before the hard drive.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Great - thank you very much, i had not realized there was a problem.  I changed the bios so that I can boot from the windows reinstall CD; the two options I get are reinstalling windows (which I assume I would rather not do) or use the recovery process (which gets me to the c: prompt).

Is there a way to stop the upgrade process from the c: prompt?  or can i selectively reinstall some files to get windows back up and running? 

Sunday, June 22, 2008 1:09 PM
  • Well the worst case scenario is that you have to perform a Repair Re-install of Windows.  Follow Method 2 given here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

The advantage of a repair re-install is that it should preserve your files and your installed programs.  You will lose any Windows Updates that post date whatever version of XP you have on your CD.  So SP3 should be wiped out in the process.

BUT you might be able to use the recovery console to overcome your current problem.  Unfortunately I cannot tell you how to do that.  But if you wait a while for a response, one of the forum experts might be able to offer assistance.  

Sunday, June 22, 2008 1:44 PM
  •  

Oh, maybe I can offer more help.  See the last post in this thread to uninstall SP3 from the recovery console

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2934347&SiteID=17

Sunday, June 22, 2008 1:50 PM
  • wow - that worked perfectly; you are a genius.  I feel like i got very lucky - any recommendations on backup software? 

Monday, June 23, 2008 12:16 AM
  • I'm pleased you have your computer up and running again and thanks for letting me know there was a successful outcome.  I find the SP3 installation takes 20 to 30 minutes on an average computer so something must have gone badly wrong in your case.  Either you were just unlucky or this is an indication that there is something out of the ordinary in the way your computer is performing.

The backup software I use myself is Acronis True Image.  I find this quite good but by no means perfect and it is difficult to recommend it as I do not have much experience of other alternatives.  It is only good for making backups to a second hard drive (or your original hard drive and thence to other media).     

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:53 AM
  • Hi there,

I am having a similar problem - installing an upgrade to Norton crashed my laptop but I don't have SP3. I can boot from the CD and get to the recovery console but running chkdsk /r just gets stuck at 50%. chkdsk /p reported 'one or more errors on the volume'

Is there a way to remove all trace of Norton from the recovery console that anyone knows?!

Many thanks

Emma

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:14 PM