none
Windows 7 Student Upgrade - installation of 64bit 7 from 32bit Vista Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I could not really find a straight answer.

I decided to take advantage of the Ultimate Steal, and get Windows 7 for £30. I thought it was a good opportunity to finally make the most of my 64bit processor and subsequently be able to use more RAM.

Initially, Digital River provided me with an 'upgrade' to Windows 7 Professional 64bit [along with a upgrade Product Key], an install which would have been impossible to do from within a 32bit installation. After emailing them, they sent me an ISO file for the full version to upgrade to 64bit. However, they did not supply me with a new product key. Having now installed this onto a clean HDD, when I try to activate Windows, it tells me I have the incorrect Product Key as it is for an upgrade, not a clean install. It gives me error code 0xC004F061.

I have been emailing Digital River ad infinitum to consistently dumb responses, each from someone different and never answering my query. Whenever I mention 'product key' they just immediately assume i've forgotten it, so keep sending the original [is it just a computer?]. The help on the Digital River page regarding 0xC004F061 forwards you to Microsoft, and they ask me for £50 for a phonecall or email. I refuse to pay this.

I understand there are 'workarounds' by reinstalling Windows 7 as an upgrade, but I refuse to do this as well - this product should just be working, but Digital River and Microsoft both refuse to acknowledge it.

I thought as this was a Microsoft site someone may be able to shed some light on this issue.

Thanking you in advance,

Matt.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello all!

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I could not really find a straight answer.

I decided to take advantage of the Ultimate Steal, and get Windows 7 for £30. I thought it was a good opportunity to finally make the most of my 64bit processor and subsequently be able to use more RAM.

Initially, Digital River provided me with an 'upgrade' to Windows 7 Professional 64bit [along with a upgrade Product Key], an install which would have been impossible to do from within a 32bit installation. After emailing them, they sent me an ISO file for the full version to upgrade to 64bit. However, they did not supply me with a new product key. Having now installed this onto a clean HDD, when I try to activate Windows, it tells me I have the incorrect Product Key as it is for an upgrade, not a clean install. It gives me error code 0xC004F061.

I have been emailing Digital River ad infinitum to consistently dumb responses, each from someone different and never answering my query. Whenever I mention 'product key' they just immediately assume i've forgotten it, so keep sending the original [is it just a computer?]. The help on the Digital River page regarding 0xC004F061 forwards you to Microsoft, and they ask me for £50 for a phonecall or email. I refuse to pay this.

I understand there are 'workarounds' by reinstalling Windows 7 as an upgrade, but I refuse to do this as well - this product should just be working, but Digital River and Microsoft both refuse to acknowledge it.

I thought as this was a Microsoft site someone may be able to shed some light on this issue.

Thanking you in advance,

Matt.
    Hi Matt

The problem is that you installed an Upgrade version of Windows 7 on a blank hard drive.

An upgrade version will only work if you install on the drive where the qualifying version of Windows is installed, even when you are performing a clean install.

The correct procedure is to boot from the Windows 7 installation disk, select Custom (clean) install and select the drive where Vista or XP is installed. The Windows 7 installation will detect the qualifying version on the drive and this information is saved to RAM, until the install is finished.

References:

Product Key is not valid or Encountering Error 0xC004F061

For customers that have questions about the Windows 7 upgrade process, or are running into a message that ‘Product Key is Invalid’ please refer to the following links.

What's the difference between full and upgrade versions of Windows 7?

Installing and reinstalling Windows

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 (Custom Installation)

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (In-Place Upgrade Installation)

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (Custom Installation)

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, January 11, 2010 11:36 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I was under the impression that I was supplied by Digital River with an ISO of a full-copy of Windows 7, and was informed to burn the image I recieved to disc and make it a bootable DVD. My initial email and the reply with instructions follow below.

----------

With regards to my order, it was always my intention to upgrade from Vista 32bit to Win7 64bit, which according to the FAQs and site requires a clean install, which i'd assumed required a completely fresh install rather than an in place install. It seems to state quite clearly that this is possible on your site.

As far as I understand, I am unable to do this with the software you have supplied [an 'Upgrade' disc]. To install a 64bit OS from within a 32bit OS is impossible. I feel I was completely misled on the subject.

Would it be possible to supply the correct disc so that I can install 64bit Win7?

-

Dear Matthew Wittrick,

Thank you for ordering from the Windows 7 Student Offer online store.

We understand that you need the ISO File for Microsoft Windows 7
    Professional Upgrade - 64 bit

Here is additional information regarding the Windows 7 64-bit download
    process. The Student Offer has been extended for those customers who
    wish to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7, but are currently
    running a 32-bit Operating System. Microsoft’s offer now includes a
    downloadable ISO file of Windows 7.

The ISO file contains all the Windows 7 installation files combined into
    a single uncompressed file. When you download the ISO file using the
    download manager link, you need to copy it to some medium (DVD or USB
    flash drive) in order to install Windows 7.

Detailed Instructions: http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/store/mswpuk/ContentTheme/pbPage.Upgrade

----------

So I followed these instructions, performed a 'clean install' of Windows 7 [like the Digital River website suggests, misleadingly] quite successfully, but now I get the error message saying I do not have the correct install key. I don't feel it was really made clear enough. After all, I DO posess a copy of Windows Vista. It's not as if i'm not upgrading.

What are my options? I still feel like I should be provided with the correct product key. After all, surely the key should correspond to the correct version?

Matt.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:16 AM
  • I don't see anything in the email that you quote from Digital River that states that you would get a different kind of license from what you originally received. (I was not eligible for the student deal, so I don't know, first hand, what sort of license that was. I believe that it's an upgrade license, and that is consistent with your experience.)

The upgrade version isn't intended to be installed on a blank hard drive. You are supposed to install an older OS (XP or Vista) on the drive, and
    use that to qualify the upgrade. If the qualifying OS is 32 bit, then you must boot from the X64 upgrade DVD, rather than starting the DVD from the 32 bit OS. (The original Digital River download wasn't the .iso, so making that DVD wasn't easy.)

However, I suggest that you read this:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1505&tag=col1;post-1505

"Clean install with Windows 7 upgrade media? Get the facts!"

The short version is that you can use the unactivated, installed OS to qualify the upgrade. You could either upgrade it in place or do another clean install. (The clean install would take much less time.) I hope that I'm not offending the moderators by posting this. No hacking is required, but this approach makes it easy to violate the upgrade license agreement. (It's not what I did with my two systems. However, I was able to use beta versions of Win7 to qualify for the clean installs using upgrade licenses. I was grateful to Microsoft for not requiring me to re-install Vista.)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:13 AM
  • So I followed these instructions, performed a 'clean install' of Windows 7 [like the Digital River website suggests, misleadingly] quite successfully, but now I get the error message saying I do not have the correct install key. I don't feel it was really made clear enough. After all, I DO posess a copy of Windows Vista. It's not as if i'm not upgrading.

What are my options? I still feel like I should be provided with the correct product key. After all, surely the key should correspond to the correct version?

Matt.
    Hi Matt

I'm guessing that you are located in the UK.

Go to the following website.  Microsoft Support - UK

Go through the steps until you readh the contact information for your area. Call Microsoft, explain the problem, and they will get that install activated for you.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Ronnie,

You seem to have provided some pragmatic advice on this thread and I am hoping you can point me in the right direction with a similar issue.

I have purchased, and succesfully downloaded, the Windows 7 upgrade software from Digital River.   I cannot install the Windows 7 upgrade though as my existing Vista software fails to upgrade to Service Pack 2 - I have tried automatically, manually and with all technical support from the Microsoft site.

Alhough I wanted to avoid a clean install as I will lose some applications as a result, I am willing to try this rather than stay with a Vista OS that has ground to a halt.

Is there any way I can install the Windows 7 upgrade without a prior upgrade to Vista SP2?    I should still have access to the ISO version form the following link if this helps:

http://wgtot20.digitalriver.com/wgt/9B5A4FCEF11DA80C/26297E3D8E3615B213C45839232DAC0E257A212142ACD834515F02A5A2A7FEF1B820F0F90186BF5B087495C5EDBF540F7F70D28637FE86AA61E9370F53FD25E0AEDAA180C53FF810/msshgb/DLMWin7HP32UK-ISO.exe

Regards,

Bob J
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:29 PM
  • Hi Bob

Vista is omly required to be at the Service pack 1 level to install Windows 7.

You did not mention which version of Vista you currently have installed or the version of Windows 7 you are trying to install.

If you are trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium, you can only upgrade from Vista Home Basic or Home Premium with at least SP1.

If you are trying to install Windows 7 Professional, you cannot upgrade from Vista Home Basic or Home Premium. You can only perform a clean install.

Let me know which versions you have.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:26 AM
  • Thanks for replying Ronnie.

Not sure why I put SP2, it is Service Pack 1 that won't install on my version of Vista Home Premium (32 bit OS).   It is the 32 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium I have purchased and cannot upgrade to without a succesful install of SP1.

Bob.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Thanks for replying Ronnie.

Not sure why I put SP2, it is Service Pack 1 that won't install on my version of Vista Home Premium (32 bit OS).   It is the 32 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium I have purchased and cannot upgrade to without a succesful install of SP1.

Bob.

Hi Bob

You might want to start a new thread in the following forum to get a solution. Start a new question and include a description of the system and any error messages you are seeing when trying to install SP1.

Windows Vista Service Packs/Windows Server 2008 Service Packs Forum

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:38 PM
  • Thanks Ronnie, appreciate the guidance if I need to resolve SP1 before upgrading to Windows 7, but can you confirm whether there is a way of performing a clean install with the ISO version of the softwareI have?

Thanks,

Bob.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Thanks Ronnie, appreciate the guidance if I need to resolve SP1 before upgrading to Windows 7, but can you confirm whether there is a way of performing a clean install with the ISO version of the softwareI have?

Thanks,

Bob.

Hi Bob

Yes, you can perform a clean install. Just follow the steps in the following article.

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (Custom Installation)

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:06 PM