none
Win 10 1903 RDP (Remote Desktop) not retaining window positions or task bar positions (multiple monitors) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm unable to figure this out after hours of searching and trying things so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Recently my remote systems were updated to windows 10 1903 and since then every time I reconnect (hit the close button, re-establish a remote desktop session) all of my windows and task bar that I re-locate to my other monitors are all crammed back on the center monitor.  I have three monitors.  Note that this all worked fine before this update.

Setup:

Main computer:

Win 10 (1807, 1903 now since I upgraded thinking it was a comparability issue) 

i7 8700k

nvidia 1060

Remote Computer 1:

Windows 10 (1903)

i7 4770

intel integrated graphics

Remote computer 2:

Windows 10 (1903)

xenon 14...

AMD hd 400 or something (dell)

Remote computer 3:

Windows 10 (1903)

i7 8700

intel HD 600 integrated

Things I've tried:

- I upgraded my main PC to 1903 thinking maybe if I had it on the same version it might fix it.  This resulted in my third monitor not receiving signal until I unplugged all of them, powered them all down, and plugged them in sequentially.  Separate issue I suppose.
    - I updated the remote pc's with all the latest patches from windows.  Checked graphics drivers are up to date.
    - I tested remoting in from two other computers on windows 10, one with two monitors, one with three, same issue.

- I looked at the windows logs on the computers and there doesn't seem to be any error logs created by the remote connection event (like a graphics driver crash or similar)

- I ran sfc and similar to check for corruption and nothing of note came up.

Observations:

- This seems similar to what happens when you clean install a graphics driver where it bumps from one monitor low res and back.

- I am aware of the black screen issue with RDP and 1903.  The fix is to use a default windows display adapter which only supports low res and one monitor so its kind of pointless to try that.

- Given the range of hardware spanning 4 generations it seems unlikely to be a "old computer, not compatible" issue.

Thanks for your time,

"Reload"

Thursday, August 29, 2019 8:38 PM

All replies

• HI
    Thanks for your post this issue .
    "Recently my remote systems were updated to windows 10 1903 and since then every time I reconnect (hit the close button, re-establish a remote desktop session) all of my windows and task bar that I re-locate to my other monitors are all crammed back on the center monitor."
    1 how many monitors are connected to your Main computer ?
      how many monitors are connected to remote computer 1 ?
      how many monitors are connected to remote computer 2 ?
      how many monitors are connected to remote computer 3 ?
    2 do you mean when you rdp from main computer to remote computer with three monitor, all extend monitor picture on remote computer will be crammed back on the center main monitor.
    3 if you change all 3 monitor resolution to the same ,will the problem persist ?
    if you change all 3 monitor resolution to the same low resolution(1366x768),will the problem persist ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 30, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Thank you for your reply! and sorry for the formatting it got messed up in copy-paste.

"How many monitors are connected to your Main computer?"
    - 3, 2x 1440p on MiniDP, 1x 1080p on DVI (but I tested with other computers with much different monitor setups and it did the same thing)

"How many monitors are connected to remote computer 1/2/3?"
    - Anywhere between 0 and 2 (headless, single, dual).  Doesn't seem to matter.

"Do you mean when you rdp from main computer to remote computer with three monitor, all extend monitor picture on remote computer will be crammed back on the center main monitor."
    - Yes, it actually loads up slowly on one PC you can see it is clearly crammed to 1080pish (even the taskbar is shortened) then it works it way back to 1440p but the windows are all still crammed on the main monitor (Primary to the client computer)

"If you change all 3 monitor resolution to the same ,will the problem persist?"
    - I've tested with my computer (1440, 1440, 1080) and a couple of other computers (1080, 1080) and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

"If you change all 3 monitor resolution to the same low resolution(1366x768), will the problem persist?"
    - I can test this later if you really want to know the answer but based on the answer to #3 I don't think it will affect it to go non-native low res.

I've got a couple of example screen shots. #1 is connected all organized, task bar where I want it.  #2 is after disconnecting RDP and reconnecting.

#1: https://imgur.com/a/O0Ri8CR
    #2: https://imgur.com/a/Esis57R

Thanks again for looking into this

Friday, August 30, 2019 6:14 PM
  • Were you able to find a solution to this problem?
    I had exactly the same problem after installing 1903. Everything worked fine on the previous version.
    I hope that this problem can be solved quickly because it is very annoying.
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:59 AM
  • No I haven't sadly.  I've just been re-organizing everything once a day and hoping I don't get disconnected.

Pretty sure I'm at my technical limit as far as testing to try and find a solution. Which is why I've been posting here.

Sorry I don't have better news.  Hopefully I can find a fix sooner than later.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:04 PM
  • I've just updated all my PCs to Windows 10 1909 and this problem still exists. Can anyone from Microsoft let us know if this is even a "known issue" due to be fixed, please?

My experience:

• It doesn't matter how many monitors (2 or more) or what resolution they are (1080 ... 4K), Windows 10 pre-1903 did not have this problem but 1903 and 1909 both have this problem, so definitely it's a regression
    • Whether connecting via Remote Desktop Client to a physical or virtual machine, or via Hyper-V "Connect" to a VM, the behaviour is the same

It's a massive pain to have to re-arrange all windows on the remote PC (either physical or VM, it makes no difference) from being bunched up onto 'Monitor 1' back to the other monitors, only to have to do it all again the next time you connect.

TIA!

Sunday, December 8, 2019 5:46 PM