After much pain and agony and two weeks of not being able to use my brand new laptop I think I have figured out a solution. I received my laptop pre-loaded from corporate and from the time I plugged it into the network it has moved files at very slow speeds. Beginning around 300Kbs and quickly slowing to 30Kbs. I have tried a laundry list of things and Dell even came and replaced my motherboard. I finally installed Linux Cent0S to see if I was able to move files. I was able to move files just fine. Unfortunatly I need windows and not Linux. So I popped in my Windows7 install disk and booted from that. This time when I went to install, it didn't recongnize the partition. So I had to delete the parition and re-add a new one. For whatever reason, this worked. I can't explain why but it seems that there may have been something wrong with the partition. I would suggest if you have this problem to give it a try. I had re-installed windows at least a dozen times trying to see if I could get it to work and nothing. I'm attaching a few other things I've tried with no luck until I deleted and re-added my partition. If this post can help just one person I'd be so happy. I have lost two weeks of work over this darn new laptop!
Various things tried that did not work:
I changed my NIC card settings to Full Speed & Duplex, tweaked other settings as seen in misc message board postings
I have uninstalled and reinstalled my NIC driver
Turned off wireless
I have restored from backup, this worked for almost a full day. Since it was moving files at a faster rate, I was copying exe files to my hard drive and installing software. After installing Lotus notes, I received an unusual error in Notes that resulted in me contacting the helpdesk to see if they could help me get it resolved. I did a webex with them. During the webex, they copied my names.nsf file from my User directory on the LAN and pasted it on my hard drive. I received the same time out error that I had when I was having problems with the transfer rate between the LAN and my machine. I suggested letting me do the copy instead of the support person doing it via webex. I did the copy and looked at the speed, it was back to the 60kps. After that happened, I uninstalled all the software added one at a time, rebooted between each uninstall and tested in between to see if any were the culprit, no change.
I have restored from Dell image and not done any windows updates
I have restored from Dell image and not added computer to the domain
I have restored from Dell image and not connected using my docking station
I have rebuilt from Windows 7 disk and formatted hard drive and immediately mapped a drive manually without installing any updates, added to domain, etc and it still is slow.
Moved to a different network port.
- Post Motherboard replacement:
I had the mother board replaced. With the Dell technician standing here watching I manually mapped a drive and tried the copy from the LAN to my local machine. It moved files at 16-19Mbs. Next, I added myself to the domain. It immediately slowed down to the 300kbs and then it does down to 30kbs. I restored from dell image and then mapped a drive manually as it seemed it was the domain that was the problem. It has never worked right since. Since the new motherboard I have tried the following:
Removed my computer from the domain.
Reinstalled Windows from a Windows disk including reformatted the hard drive.
Added another user to the domain on my laptop using his credentials (to rule out problems with my domain user)
Flashed the BIOS
- Post Motherboard replacement:
Thanks for sharing. Great job.
Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
I have a theory, about the Slowness and windows install problem was caused by the imaging software that was used at corporate (Corrupt Inode or partition geometry). The imaging software also created a duplicate sid on the network. We had a strange problem here because we used ghost and did not use ghost walk to change the SID.
Just a theory