I read about the security update KB950582 but my Windows Update has never detected this. So I manually downloaded and installed it myself from Microsoft download. After I installed it, I followed the instructions on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715/en-US, but I am not able to find the Gpedit.msc using Start -> Search. Am I missing something?
An unrelated question regarding my Control Panel. I have been using the Classic View on my Control Panel and it had always opened to the Classic View. Starting a few days ago, when I open my Control Panel, it sometimes opens to the non-classic view and sometimes to the classic view. Is my preference messed up?
I have Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1. Thank you.
Hi ohanna, thanks for the post. I'd like to inform you that gpedit.msc does not include in Windows Vista home. You can follow the steps in the next paragraph:
For operating systems that do not include Gpedit.msc, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following entry in the registry:
3. Right-click NoDriveTypeAutoRun, and then click Modify.
4. In the Value data box, type 0xFF to disable all types of drives. Or, to selectively disable specific drives, use a different value as described in the "How to selectively disable specific Autorun features" section.
5. Click OK, and then exit Registry Editor.
6. Restart the computer.
Hope this helps!
Sean Zhu - MSFT
Hi, have you installed 967715? I have checked the FAQ in the KB article regarding the update:
If I have update 950582 or update 953252 installed on my computer, will I be reoffered update 967715?
No, update 967715 is the same update that was released as update 953252 but was packaged under update 950582. Therefore, if Add or Remove Programs shows that update 950582 or update 953252 is installed, you do not require update 967715, and it will not be offered by Windows Update or Automatic Updates.
If this is the case, I consider we do not need any further action regarding this.
Sean Zhu - MSFT