none
No sound in 3g2 files

Question

• Hi, I have a large collection of videos in 3g2 format taken with my LG dare cell phone. The videos play fine in quick time, but in W7, that have no sound whatsoever. That is, the video part is fine but the audio is missing. I imagine that this is a bug, I don;t see any way of reporting bugs from within the release candidate. Does any body know about a solution to this problem or a way of reporting a bug. I imagine that the idea is not to have quicktime or other software installed (eg, k-lite codecs) in W7, so that;s what I bring this up.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Shapematcher,

Windows Media Player 12 supports most popular audio and video formats, including new support for 3GP, AAC, AVCHD, DivX, MOV, and Xvid. Regarding the 3G2 format captured by LG Dare, please understand that it is very similar to 3GP file format, but has some extensions and limitations in comparison to 3GP.

The 3GP and 3G2 file formats are both structurally based on the ISO base media file format. However, older versions of the 3GP file format did not use some of its features.

The 3G2 file format can store the same video streams and most of audio streams used in the 3GP file format. In addition, 3G2 stores audio streams as EVRC, EVRC-B, EVRC-WB, 13K (QCELP), SMV or VMR-WB, which was specified by 3GPP2 for use in ISO base media file format.

Windows Media Player 12 plays the 3GP files which structurally based on the ISO base media file format . Therefore, 3G2 and some old 3GP files may not be played properly in Windows Media Player 12.

As you mentioned, we may use certain third party software or codec to play the 3G2 files in Windows Media Player. For your reference, I have included the K-Lite Codec Pack Full download link HERE. Please associate all the media formats with Windows Media Player 12 during the installation of the codec package.

In addition, if you are interested about the 3G2 file information, you can analyze the video files by downloading and using GSpot v2.70a.

Please Note: The third-party products discussed here are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:30 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Shapematcher,

Windows Media Player 12 supports most popular audio and video formats, including new support for 3GP, AAC, AVCHD, DivX, MOV, and Xvid. Regarding the 3G2 format captured by LG Dare, please understand that it is very similar to 3GP file format, but has some extensions and limitations in comparison to 3GP.

The 3GP and 3G2 file formats are both structurally based on the ISO base media file format. However, older versions of the 3GP file format did not use some of its features.

The 3G2 file format can store the same video streams and most of audio streams used in the 3GP file format. In addition, 3G2 stores audio streams as EVRC, EVRC-B, EVRC-WB, 13K (QCELP), SMV or VMR-WB, which was specified by 3GPP2 for use in ISO base media file format.

Windows Media Player 12 plays the 3GP files which structurally based on the ISO base media file format . Therefore, 3G2 and some old 3GP files may not be played properly in Windows Media Player 12.

As you mentioned, we may use certain third party software or codec to play the 3G2 files in Windows Media Player. For your reference, I have included the K-Lite Codec Pack Full download link HERE. Please associate all the media formats with Windows Media Player 12 during the installation of the codec package.

In addition, if you are interested about the 3G2 file information, you can analyze the video files by downloading and using GSpot v2.70a.

Please Note: The third-party products discussed here are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:30 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:46 AM
  • I have the same problem with 3GP files created on my current model Blackberry 9000.  I don't accept that MS have got this right, because having downloaded RealPlayer I have no problem with the sound on the very same files that Windows Media Player can't play with sound.

Andy
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:51 PM
  • none of the answers works and
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Hi Shapematcher,

As you mentioned, we may use certain third party software or codec to play the 3G2 files in Windows Media Player. For your reference, I have included the K-Lite Codec Pack Full download link HERE . Please associate all the media formats with Windows Media Player 12 during the installation of the codec package.

In addition, if you are interested about the 3G2 file information, you can analyze the video files by downloading and using GSpot v2.70a .

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Linda

That link to the codecs is not working, is there an updated link?

I as well am having issue playing .3g2 files in media player on windows 7, i find this very strange that these files are supported by MS, has there been any other update in how this may be resolved?

Monday, December 06, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Ubin Took, if you install QT Lite , WMP should be able to play the .3g2 files.
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 4:20 PM
  • I have the k lite full pack on my computers and it still doesnt play the sound of my 3gpp2 vids
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:26 PM
  • I  had the same problem with files from my HTC - gave up on codecs and installed VLC - www.videolan.org
    Friday, July 08, 2011 4:59 PM
  • I  had the same problem with files from my HTC - gave up on codecs and installed VLC - www.videolan.org

I worked on the no sound issue for weeks, trying all the MS fixes and updating, installing codecs, etc... only going to www.videolan.org and downloading this open source that it finally worked.  Thank you dogsb45.
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 3:43 AM