dhcp failure caused by Network Location Awareness service failure RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows 7 machine fails to properly request a dhcp address but works with a static address.   Looking at the error logs I see the error message.

The Network Location Awareness service terminated with service-specific error %%-1073741288.

This problem started with a failure of the DHCP service to start but I fixed that by fixed by changing permission in the registry as outlined in this post - dhcp fix

Based on what I found online I tried the fixes below - none have restored the Network Location Service. 

1. Restored to a previous good state
    2. chkdsk 
    3. sfc /scannow  
    4. netsh winsock reset ; netsh in ip reset ; reboot 
    5. virus scan
    6. overnight memtest  

The hardware/network seem fine - this machine is dual boot with Ubuntu which runs fine.  

Any suggestions ? 

Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:04 PM

Answers

• Run the commands 

net localgroup administrators localservice /add
    net localgroup administrators networkservice /add
    exit

Then reboot.

Regards, Kalyan.

• Marked as answer by mdflickner Monday, March 12, 2012 3:20 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 2:34 PM

All replies

• Run the commands 

exit

Then reboot.

Regards, Kalyan.

• Marked as answer by mdflickner Monday, March 12, 2012 3:20 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Does DHCP work properly in Safe Mode with Networking? If not, I suggest you boot in system normally and run In-place Upgrade to repair the system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:58 AM
  • Thanks - this was the magic I needed!   The Location Awareness Service now starts and the machine successfully obtains DHCP addresses. 

Imaging away / flick

• Edited by mdflickner Monday, March 12, 2012 3:24 PM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Run the commands 

exit

Then reboot.

Regards, Kalyan.

This fixed DHCP not autostarting (not even manually) on a Dell laptop running Windows 7 Pro (joined to a domain).

Wow i had to try a LOT of things until i found your post. Thanks.

I still have issues with BFE and Windows Firewall service :(

Friday, April 13, 2012 5:39 PM
  • This worked for me as well..thanks!! but i would like to know why the network location awareness stopped all of a sudden. No issues for over a year in production. Event logs just says NLA entered stopped state.
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 3:53 AM
  • That also worked for me.  Thank you for your help!
    Friday, November 14, 2014 6:57 PM
  • I know this is an old post - but this just save my bacon! How on earth did you come to this solution?
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:53 AM
  • DHCP fails in windows 10. Gateway is obtained but IP address is not. Rebooting will temporarily fix this problem. But under use for an undetermined time or if the machine is slept and moved to another network DHCP fails. A clue, that there is a fix out for this:
    restart dhcp client (using services.msc)

It says these other services will also be restarted.

IP helper

WinHTTP web proxy auto-discovery service

Network List service

Network location awareness.

When you do that DHCP will work again, for a while.

This occurs on all network interfaces, hardwire Ethernet, wifi, even VMware and Oracle virtual PC network devices.

If dhcp fails, due to one of the above crashing, then ipconfig/renew will not help.
    Ipconfig typically shows 169.254 self assigned IP address but may have a gateway obtained from
    The dhcp server in charge of the network you are trying to join,

As always, manually assigning the IP address work (if you know where to set this such as the
    last previous assigned ip address.

What is the fix? I read of a KB that can be removed but I don't see that one,
    I read of a new KB that fixes it but I don't seem to have it in the updates.

Notes: build 1607 'anniv. update'

That failed to install at first and with some 'helping' it finally did install after being a bother for awhile and failing 6 or 7 times. Probably cause this issue and cut its own legs off (lost IP address)

• Edited by asusxrog325 Sunday, March 26, 2017 4:22 AM add detail
    Sunday, March 26, 2017 4:20 AM
  • Thanks, Kalyan works 
    Friday, January 25, 2019 12:59 PM