none
Applying machine policies on wifi only Win 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, we are looking at using wifi only offices. I have a query about this though. When we had windows 7 machines, if they were not wired into the network, they wouldn't receive updated group policies because the device wouldn't connect to the network until after the user logged in.

We currently run windows 10 and have a machine policy that pushes out our wifi settings (it is machine auth based). My query is that if we go wifi only, and I updated any machine policy that wouldn't normally apply during a background refresh, would a wifi only windows 10 device receive this policy change? When would the device connect to the wifi network, would it be before user login or after? Is it feasible for us to go wifi only?

many thanks
    Nick
    Monday, October 14, 2019 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

1. >>My query is that if we go wifi only, and I updated any machine policy that wouldn't normally apply during a background refresh, would a wifi only windows 10 device receive this policy change?

If we need to update domain GPO settings, the machines must be able to contact the DCs.
    Usually, t
    o refresh Group Policy on domain computers:

1. Group Policy is automatically refreshed when you restart the domain member computer(computer policy), or when a user logs on to a domain member computer(user policy).

2. In addition, Group Policy is periodically refreshed. By default, this periodic refresh is performed every 90 minutes with a randomized offset of up to 30 minutes.

3. After we run gpupdate /force command.

2. >>When would the device connect to the wifi network, would it be before user login or after?

Because it is computer policy, when we start or restart the computer, the computer policy will be loaded.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:54 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Hi,
    I am just writing to see if this question has any update. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let us know.
    Thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Monday, October 21, 2019 6:38 AM