none
Is Internet Explorer 7.0 supported on Windows 7?

Question

• Hello,

Windows 7 by defaul installs or comes with Internet Explorer 8.0. However, I would like to know if there is a way (supported) to install or downgrade to Internet Explorer 7.0?

Thanks,

Tester57
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:31 PM

Answers

• I tried to uninstall IE8 and install IE7 on my test machine. It failed with the error message “Internet Explorer 7 is not supported on this operating system”.

If you encounter some incompatible websites, you may click Page and Compatibility View in IE8 to check the issue.

If this is not the case, then what is the accurate issue?

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Hello,

Windows 7 by defaul installs or comes with Internet Explorer 8.0. However, I would like to know if there is a way (supported) to install or downgrade to Internet Explorer 7.0?

Thanks,

Tester57
    IE7 is now obsolete, XP and up have IE8 on automatic updates. If you require IE7 as some application refuses to work with IE8, install Virtual PC and when XP wants to install IE8, disable it and that is the only route available that does not mess up Windows 7.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:01 AM

All replies

• My understanding is, it is not possible.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Well, you can uninstall IE8, see here: How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8 (actually I don't think it uninstalls it, just disables it).

Then download IE7 from here and install it, see what happens. If it doesn't work, reinstall IE8.
    Rich
    Friday, December 11, 2009 12:15 AM
  • You can run IE 8 in compatibility mode. What issue are you having with IE 8?
    Mark Morowczynski|MCT| MCSE 2003:Messaging, Security|MCITP:ES, SA,EA|MCTS:Windows Mobile Admin|Security+|http://almostdailytech.com
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:34 AM
  • I tried to uninstall IE8 and install IE7 on my test machine. It failed with the error message “Internet Explorer 7 is not supported on this operating system”.

If you encounter some incompatible websites, you may click Page and Compatibility View in IE8 to check the issue.

If this is not the case, then what is the accurate issue?

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks,

Tester57
    IE7 is now obsolete, XP and up have IE8 on automatic updates. If you require IE7 as some application refuses to work with IE8, install Virtual PC and when XP wants to install IE8, disable it and that is the only route available that does not mess up Windows 7.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Hi,

you can use AppV or other application virtualization tools to create a virtual IE7. Maybe this helps you to run IE7 on Windows 7.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:47 AM