none
Unable to link Microsoft account with Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Earlier I used to log in to Windows 8.1 through Microsoft account and suddenly now on restarting I get login for Administrator with its password and obviously my earlier desktop and files aren't visible. However, in the C drive's User folder, I could see a folder named after Microsoft account and it contains all desktop icons n files. While trying to link a User account besides Administrator login, it says that the email is already in use and refuse to link it.

Pls let me know how to fix this.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 9:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Did you try to use the Microsoft account to logon?
    Is that you want the Microsoft account link to your Administrator account?
    If yes, please try to disconnect that Microsoft account (Log on that Microsoft account ->select Settings on the Charm Bar -> Change PC Settings -> Accounts -> Disconnect Microsoft Account), then try to link it to other local account.
    Note: Please try to copy the c:\users\Microsoft account name files to other user account before disconnect the Microsoft account.
    1. Log on as a user C.
    2. Locate the c:\users\Microsoft account name
    3. Clear “Hide protected operation system files ” and check “show hidden files” options in “Options\Folder Options\View”.

4. Copy files and folders in Microsoft account name to C:\Users\User name , except Ntuser.dat , Ntuser,dat.log , Ntuser.ini

Here is a link for reference:
    Fix a corrupted user profile in Windows 7:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Vera Hu Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:05 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Vera Hu Friday, December 15, 2017 7:14 AM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:05 AM