none
WIN 10 - BSOD - RDR - MRXSMB20.SYS - FLTMGR.SYS RRS feed

• Question

• One member of staff gets BSOD errors when using files located over the network.

Appears to be common in older Windows versions but does seem to carry on in version 1903, I am going to attempt a system rebuild and see how it then behaves with the same account setup.

Issues happen for one member of staff, have recreated his profile, set it as an old one and tested other accounts on the same machine, issue only happens under one persons logon, new starter no roaming profile.

I have upgraded this from 1809 to 1903 to attempt to update the system files this has reduced the frequency of the issue but it still persists.

This was happening after opening a single document up to 5 documents on the network, now this can open multiple documents before triggering the error.
    I have cloned him onto a different machine (same make and model) no issue.
    Memtest and Windows memory diagnostic tool find no errors at all, soldered components so could swap out to see if a faulty part.

Due to diagnostic software advising there are no issues on the machine at least in regards to RAM.

Disabled SMB2 and re-tested no change.

Checked for any hardware and OS updates, applied these and re-tested the issue hasn't changed.

CHKDSK no errors detected (NVME drive if this makes any difference).

On Tue 18/06/2019 08:59:33 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\061819-11406-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: mrxsmb20.sys (0xFFFFF8055A0EFCA4)
    Bugcheck code: 0x27 (0xBAAD0073, 0xFFFFCF876FC29968, 0xFFFFCF876FC291B0, 0xFFFFF8055A0EFCA4)
    Error: RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mrxsmb20.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Longhorn SMB 2.0 Redirector
    Bug check description: This indicates that a problem occurred in the SMB redirector file system.
    The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 18/06/2019 09:53:24 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\061819-10875-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: mrxsmb20.sys (0xFFFFF80286B5FCA4)
    Bugcheck code: 0x27 (0xBAAD0073, 0xFFFFB98514619968, 0xFFFFB985146191B0, 0xFFFFF80286B5FCA4)
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mrxsmb20.sys
    description: Longhorn SMB 2.0 Redirector
    Bug check description: This indicates that a problem occurred in the SMB redirector file system.
    The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

Memory Dump
    On Tue 18/06/2019 09:53:24 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
    This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (FLTMGR!FltIsCallbackDataDirty+0x2EE)
    Bugcheck code: 0x27 (0xBAAD0073, 0xFFFFB98514619968, 0xFFFFB985146191B0, 0xFFFFF80286B5FCA4)
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
    description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
    The crash took place in a file system driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:22 AM

Answers

• Hello David,

Yes I have run through DISM, SFC and all drivers are up to date.

I have tested wtih SMB2 & 3 disabled.

Sadly the only way this seemed to get cured was with a format and full rebuild.
    In place upgrade or repair wouldn't resolve the issue with the system talking to the system drivers, it did however reduce the frequency of the problems but wasn't a cure.

Manually replaced the system files listed in the dumps for known working ones and no change detected on the machine.

• Edited by JDJudge Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:46 AM correct spelling mistake
    • Marked as answer by JDJudge Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:46 AM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to use SMB 1.0 to access network files?

Please update device drivers to the latest.

Also, use “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:13 AM
  • Hello David,

Sadly the only way this seemed to get cured was with a format and full rebuild.
    In place upgrade or repair wouldn't resolve the issue with the system talking to the system drivers, it did however reduce the frequency of the problems but wasn't a cure.

Manually replaced the system files listed in the dumps for known working ones and no change detected on the machine.

• Edited by JDJudge Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:46 AM correct spelling mistake
    • Marked as answer by JDJudge Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:46 AM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:23 AM
  • Thanks for sharing this, looking forward for more answers.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:24 AM
  • Hello David,

Sadly the only way this seemed to get ured was with a format and full rebuild.

You could try performing an in-place upgrade, which is re-installing Windows on itself: this will restore all the operating system files while preserving the installed applications and the data.
    Insert the Windows 10 installation disc and reboot your system from that disc: choose the option to do an upgrade installation when prompted and wait for the Windows setup program to complete its job.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Hello Luigi,

I have already done this using the same version and the updated version of Windows this made no change on the isue aside from increasing the time between the system crash.

I will mark the answer as the format and rebuild but this resource may help anyone else encountering this on Windows 10 to save a few hours of time.

Kind regards,

Jamie

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:46 AM
  • Please comment into the thread whether you need help troubleshooting or whether you are planning clean install.

If you need help troubleshooting logs can be scanned and files can be debugged.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:43 PM