none
New Guest Network with Each Host Reboot on Default Switch RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I recently reinstalled my Windows 10 Hyper-V server/host clean from 1809 and am noticing a new issue.

Whenever I reboot the host server machine, the guests that are connected to the Default Switch get a new network.  If the guest instance is shut down, when I restart it, I get a prompt asking if the connected network should be public/private.

If the instance is already connected/started, the network silently updates, which is why I haven't noticed this until now.  Already one of my instances has "Network 45" as its listed network name.

1) How do I fix this? :)

2) How do I restart/clear the count so that the connect network name is "Network 1" (or just "Network")

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can lend!

Friday, January 25, 2019 8:23 AM

Answers

•   Very annoying, isn't it? It happens even if the guests are in a saved state when you restart the host. It happens even if file and printer sharing is disabled on the guest.

I don't usually use the default switch (I have never liked ICS) but I decided to try it recently and noticed that behavior. I am up to network 14 already.

Bill

• Edited by Bill Grant Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike-EEE Sunday, January 27, 2019 2:32 PM
    Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:18 AM

All replies

•   Very annoying, isn't it? It happens even if the guests are in a saved state when you restart the host. It happens even if file and printer sharing is disabled on the guest.

I don't usually use the default switch (I have never liked ICS) but I decided to try it recently and noticed that behavior. I am up to network 14 already.

Bill

• Edited by Bill Grant Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike-EEE Sunday, January 27, 2019 2:32 PM
    Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:18 AM
  • Wow.  I hate to ask, but how long has this known "feature" been around?  I did search for it but did not find anything.  I would appreciate any known resources that talk about it.

In any case, it's nice to know that it's known and that there is someone else sharing my pain. ;)  FWIW I will be "switching" to my own custom switch.  Not sure why this Default Switch was made so poorly and has so many problems (can't delete, etc).

Sunday, January 27, 2019 2:32 PM
  •   Indeed. I can't imagine who thought this was a good idea in the first place, and the implementation is pathetic. I guess somebody thought "VMWare and VirtualBox have NAT by default, perhaps we should too".

Bill

Monday, January 28, 2019 3:25 AM
  • Asking "what does the other person do?" is certainly a surefire approach to maximizing innovation in your product. ;)

Monday, January 28, 2019 4:41 AM
  • Still a problem with 1903, *SIGH*
    Monday, October 21, 2019 2:42 PM