KMS Activation Error: product not found

Question

• I'm setting up som Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 machines, all RTM.

After a bit of struggle (not too bad after I figured the commands out) I've successfully set up a KMS service on a server running Server 2008 R2. The KMS key is also successfully activated with MS using the slmgr -ato command.

Here comes the strange part. When I run slmgr -ato on different clients to make them activate against the KMS service, this happens:
    - on the first PC with Windows 7, I get the "insuffient count" error. This is normal.
    - on the second PC running Win7, the same thing happens. Still normal as my client count hasn't reached 25.
    - on the third Win7 PC, I get this error: "Windows Script Host - Error: product not found".
    - on a server running Server 2008 (R1), same error: "Windows Script Host - Error: product not found".

The KMS service event log on the KMS host shows that the first two PC's are trying to activate as expected, but there are no traces of the third PC and the 2008 server. I've tried to search for the "product not found" error, but haven't found anything useful.

The KMS key is a Class B key, which should be suffient. All Server installation are "Standard", and all Client installations are "Professional".

Oh, and the KMS Service is running on a server that is also a Domain Controller.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hello Gaffelen,
    On machine three and four, it may be that the product key is not installed.
    Can you run slmgr /dlv?
    if so what is the output?

You can try re-entering the KMS Setup key from this link.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772269.aspx 
    Table 4 on the link has the list of setup keys.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Gaffelen Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:09 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:38 AM

All replies

• Check your DNS to make sure that your SRV records for KMS are correct.  Also check the problem machines to ensure that they are using the correct volume licence key.

Tony
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Hello Gaffelen,
    On machine three and four, it may be that the product key is not installed.
    Can you run slmgr /dlv?
    if so what is the output?

You can try re-entering the KMS Setup key from this link.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772269.aspx 
    Table 4 on the link has the list of setup keys.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Gaffelen Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:09 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:38 AM
  • Good morning, and thanks for your reply.

I'm pretty sure the DNS record is correct, because
    a. It is working on some clients, and
    b. I've crosschecked with the VLS Deployment Guide
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Hi Darrel, and thanks for your reply.

It looks like I've missed something here. I wasn't aware of the logic with setup keys.

It seems like the setup key was missing from comp. 3 and 4. I reinstalled the setup key, and activation worked.

I also think I may know the reason why the setup keys "disappeared" in the first place:

On the 2008 (R1) server, I may have experimented with setting up a KMS service. It's quite some time ago, so I had forgot...
    On the Win7 client, the grace period had been extended. I don't sett why this should "break" the setup key, but it seems like it has.

Anyways, thanks for helping me with this problem!

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:08 AM
  • Where did you get the setup key for Server 2008 R1?  The ones listed in the TechNet article are for Server 2008 R2.  I too am getting the product not found error on Server 2008 R1 activations.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Hello Dr Baltz,
    use this link:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303280.aspx
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:47 PM