none
Folder Redirection - AppData - Windows 10 1803 - Error

Question

• Hi,

I have a very odd Problem since the latest Windows Update (1803).

We have configured Folder Redirection on some Users and it worked well until the latest update. Since it was installed, the AppData Folder doesn't get redirected. The following Error shows up in the EventLog.

Fehler bei der Richtlinienanwendung und beim Umleiten des Ordners "RoamingAppData" nach "\\Server\Users$\Home\User\AppData\Roaming".
     Umleitungsoptionen=0x1021.
     Der folgende Fehler ist aufgetreten: "Der Ordner kann nicht umgeleitet werden.".
     Fehlerdetails: "Unbekannter Fehler
    ".

"Error while applying the GPO and redirecting the "RoamingAppData" folder to "..."

Redirection setting=0x1021

Error: "The folder can't be redirected".

Error details: "Unknown error"

As I said, it worked fine until the latest update and all other folders are getting redirected normaly!

So it can't be any permission problem. (but anyway, I tripple-checked everything and it seems to be configured correctly)

And yes, we rebooted the workstation several times!

I also tried to recreate the gpo, without success...

** Edit **

As I just found out (reddit) - this feature seems to be removed!

But how did they plan to replace this feature?

Is there any documetation about how to sync programm settings between workstations?

• Edited by JohnWebX Monday, May 07, 2018 12:10 PM Edit
    Monday, May 07, 2018 11:34 AM

All replies

• Yes we have the same issue in our production domain environment.  We have mitigated the issue by removing roaming profiles and AppData redirection as Windows 10 1803 wants to do that anyways.  We are not pleased with the lack of documentation regarding this feature removal.  If it is documented somewhere, my apologies.
    Monday, May 07, 2018 2:58 PM
  •  Our product also has same issue. We're using IKnownFolderManger::Redirect() with FOLDERID_RoamingAppData(well known folder GUID) to other drive path. After struggling, we found once you already redirect on 1709 then  upgrade to 1803, Roaming folder is still redirected, but tried on 1803, it can't and get same error "The folder can't be redirected". I have been google after 1803 is released but couldn't find any documents on Microsoft site.

• Edited by t_kikka Tuesday, May 08, 2018 5:38 AM typo
    Tuesday, May 08, 2018 5:27 AM
  •  Our product also has same issue. We're using IKnownFolderManger::Redirect() with FOLDERID_RoamingAppData(well known folder GUID) to other drive path. After struggling, we found once you already redirect on 1709 then  upgrade to 1803, Roaming folder is still redirected, but tried on 1803, it can't and get same error "The folder can't be redirected". I have been google after 1803 is released but couldn't find any documents on Microsoft site.

Agreed. Any official word from Microsoft yet?
    Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:45 PM
  • Yes for our AppData\Roaming folder we have the error code #502 in event viewer with the message "The folder is not redirectable."

As well we found just changing the GPO to not redirect AppData was not sufficient as the policy was tattooed on the workstations.  We had to manually change the specific registry key: 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders  Value name: AppData  Value data: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

We put that into a GPO and distributed it.  

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 2:50 PM
  • Hi

we had the same problem. After upgrading from win10 1607 or 1709 to 1803 AppData Roaming Folder Redirection doesn't work. You can see in  registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders  Value name: AppData  Value data: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming that the correct redirection path is not applied.

Try to install latest admx update and language files (april 2018). This solved our problems.

admx update

Edit: on some PC this worked. But others ignore  Appdata Roaming Redirection. Only way to solve the problem is to make a gpo with this correct registry key (as Jasion_Caine wrote)
    • Proposed as answer by Dirk_medi Friday, May 11, 2018 8:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dirk_medi Friday, May 11, 2018 10:40 AM
    • Edited by Dirk_medi Friday, May 11, 2018 10:41 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2018 8:38 AM
  • @Jason_Caine, how did you distribute the GPO?  Adding the value as a Registry preference did not work for me; I had to export the correct settings and use the REG IMPORT command in a batch file.
    Friday, May 11, 2018 4:52 PM
  • Are you using the roaming profiles?

If not, it can't function while %USERPROFILE% = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\%USERNAME%

Monday, May 14, 2018 11:52 AM
  • Did not work for me either.
    Monday, May 14, 2018 6:42 PM
  • We:

1. Disabled the redirection GPO for AppData\Roaming

2. Removed the profile path listed in user accounts in AD

3. Disabled Roaming Profiles.

4. Added the registry path below via GPO

We added the registry path in the User hive of the registry GPO settings.  

AppData Properties

Action:  Update

Hive:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Key Path:  Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders 

Value name:  Default (unchecked)  AppData

Value type:  REG_EXPAND_SZ

Value data:  %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 10:09 PM
  • Could you all provide a list of symptoms that the end user sees if their Appdata\roaming was redirected before the upgrade to 1803? What do they see after the upgrade? Do apps fail to run? Are there on screen error messages? 
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:43 PM
  • Here is the result by using IKnownFolderManager::Redirect()(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb761746(v=vs.85).aspx)

Case 1: 
    1. With 1709, Redirected Roaming folder from C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming to X:\Roaming without excluded sub folder 
    2. Updated from 1709  to 1803
       Note: at this time, X: drive didn't exist.
    Result: %APPDATA% redirected to X:\Roaming (expected)

Case 2:
    1. With 1709 Redirected Roaming folder from C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming to X:\Roaming with some excluded sub folder
       => Specified IKnownFolderMangaer::Redirect(..,  pExclusion)
    2. Updated from 1709  to 1803
       Note: at this time, X: drive didn't exist.
    Result: %APPDATA% redirected to C:\Roaming (Unexpected)

Case 3:
    1. With 1803, tried to redirect Roaming folder from C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming to X:\Roaming with or without some excluded sub folder
    Result: IKnownFolderMangaer::Redirect() failed with the error "The folder can't be redirected"

I wonder if Case 2 was a sideeffect of Case 3?
    Anyway, if Case 3 occured due to a spec change, I'd applicate if you could describe it in your documents.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:24 AM
  • Could you all provide a list of symptoms that the end user sees if their Appdata\roaming was redirected before the upgrade to 1803? What do they see after the upgrade? Do apps fail to run? Are there on screen error messages? 

Well for us a few programs utilize data stored in that location.  Outlook 2016 uses it for signature storage among other things, adobe cc apps use it for preference files etc. causing those programs to freeze on startup.  Filezilla keeps site connection information in there.  Not a lot of huge issues but together can be problematic.  Luckily we have a good team and were able to mitigate most of these small issues using our process above.  

To the end user there are no on screen error messages.  It took a while to find the cause of some of the issues described after the upgrade.  Once we found the event log message describing appdata\roaming as not being a redirectable folder then we were able to focus on resolution.  

Please properly document or acknowledge this as either a planned feature removal or an unanticipated bug with a fix in the works. 

Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:34 PM
  • "Could you all provide a list of symptoms that the end user sees if their Appdata\roaming was redirected before the upgrade to 1803?"

I'm not entirely sure what you asking in the first question. 

Everything works as intended.  Changing computers means they can reach the redirected AppData Folder and programs data that's stored out of it.  You open Firefox and all of your favorites are usable.  You open up a random program that keeps data in the AppData folder and it still has that data. 

"What do they see after the upgrade?"

The folder is not redirected.  All AppData is local.  The user profile is no longer able to reach the AppData folder hosted remotely.

"Do apps fail to run?"

In my case no, all the apps that store information in the AppData need to be configured.  (So yes and no, because now it requires user intervention)

"Are there on screen error messages?"

No, and I don't believe it should.  During policy application, event viewer is basically saying that AppData cannot be roamed during creation. 

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "RoamingAppData" to "\\random file path here".

Redirection Options 0x1021. 

The Following error occurred:  "The folder is not redirectable".

Error details:  "Unspecified Error".

Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:50 PM
  • The users are quick to notice that the Outlook signatures are missing... 

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:41 AM
  • Definitely! I manage the IT for a legal firm and the 2 issues I've had is the email signatures are missing and dictation software config settings resetting.

Doing some research it would appear on Microsoft's release notes, that there is no mention of removing AppData redirection feature.

I'm assuming this is a bug with the 1803 update but would be nice to have some clarification on this.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:21 PM
  • Thanks also to and Rune Marstein and MichaelJohnRoss for providing feedback.

Everyone please track KB4294935 for updates to this issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4294935/folder-redirection-not-available-for-appdata-roaming-folder-win-10

Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:37 PM
  • Thanks also to and Rune Marstein and MichaelJohnRoss for providing feedback.

Everyone please track KB4294935 for updates to this issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4294935/folder-redirection-not-available-for-appdata-roaming-folder-win-10

Thank you Warren for acknowledging this as an issue and following up on it.
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 4:05 PM
  • I have a similar issue where the users Desktop folder doesn't redirect. This is the user that was logged in when 1803 was installed. When logging in with a new user profile, everything redirects properly. Tried to remove the affected users profile entries in the registry but that didn't help.

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Desktop" to "\\server\profiles$\username\Desktop".
     Redirection options=0x1211.
     The following error occurred: "Failed to copy files from "C:\Users\username\Desktop" to "\\server\profiles$\username\Desktop". This may be due to one or more files under the source or target folders with a fully qualified file name longer than 256 characters.".
     Error details: "The copy functions cannot be used.
    ".

Friday, May 25, 2018 9:55 PM
  • I too have experienced the same behavior on a new build of 1803. 

Desktop, Favorites, Documents, etc all redirect perfectly but not the Roaming profile. 

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "RoamingAppData" to "\\share\prof$\...\AppData\Roaming".
     Redirection options=0x1000.
     The following error occurred: "The folder is not redirectable.".
     Error details: "Unspecified error
    ".

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 1:41 PM
  • any News from MS?

Hotfix??

Saturday, June 02, 2018 5:20 AM
  • This is really holding us back from rolling out 1803. Is there any update from Microsoft please?

Manny

Monday, June 04, 2018 10:47 AM
  • Hello All,

Thanks for reporting this issue and for your patience while we work on this problem. We are working on a fix and will release it once validation has been completed. 

Follow this KB for updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4294935/folder-redirection-not-available-for-appdata-roaming-folder-win-10

Tuesday, June 05, 2018 6:30 PM
  • Hope you release a fix soon, this is breaking my domain environment!
    Friday, June 08, 2018 11:44 AM
  • any news??
    Wednesday, June 20, 2018 10:37 AM
  • Well, almost a month now and not a single news. Getting very close to the summer roll out.

Manny

Thursday, June 21, 2018 7:57 AM