none
My Wireless Adapter Will Not Connect! I need help!

Question

• Before I start, I have called Linksys who is the manufacture of my adapter and for me to get a walk through I have to pay 30 dollars for one session. So im asking you people on what should I do?

My Router is a N Router. My Modem is brand new. My Linksys Adapter is N Ultra range Plus. It worked fine before when the computer was Windows Vista before I changed it to Windows 7 with a cd. My adapter works, it shows the signal of my router but it wont let me connect to it Tells me password is incorrect or I get connected by pressing the button on middle of router (New feature with windows 7) to send the settings to the wireless computer. Only problem is it tells me the settings dont match the router.

I have checked 10,000 times on that and they are the same settings Also I have called Linksys as you read above and im not paying 30 bucks. That will be my last resort. I have checked to see if my router was the problem and it works fine. I checked if my modem was the problem and its not. Im wondering if the Adapter doesnt support windows 7 or if the adapter is not working properly. I also reinstalled the adapter also (several times).

Also It will show my network but it wont take my password as im seeing in other threads.

Can anyone help? Im thinking of seeking professional help or buying a new one.

Also anyone know of a Linkssys adapter compatible with windows 7?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:07 AM

Answers

• As your question, to check if hardware is compatible with Windows 7, you can confirm it in the following link.

Windows 7 Compatibility Center

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Default.aspx?type=Hardware

Have you checked if the password stored in the wireless adapter is correct?

You can try the following steps to verify if the password stored in the adapter matches the password set in the router.

Open the properties of the wireless network, and from the Security tab check the box next to Show characters. This will show a previously entered wireless network key,

Note: viewing the wireless network key in this manner requires administrative rights.

If the password math the router setting, it’s better to remove the wireless adapter driver from the device manager, then reinstall the latest driver downloaded from the Linksys website according to our wireless adapter model.

I hope this can help you.

John Zhu

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:07 AM
  • In addion, you can try to reset the router, then do not set the password, at last test if we can connect the Internet via the router.

If we can connect to the Internet, please reset the Security setting in the Router, and create a new wireless Connection.

John

John
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:02 AM

All replies

• It would be emminently more logical to seek assistance in a forum sponsored by Linksys where it would be much more likely you would find others with the same or similar situations and could share their finds.  Linksys Support personnel also respond to posts there.

Home page for Linksys forum:  http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/?comm_cc=US&comm_lang=en
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Are you using WEP type encryption?

For me a linksys wireless adapter that works (and that I am writing this post on) is a WUSB54GSC, however it is a G adapter and NOT a N adapter.
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Email me | 'Gadget' programs: Visit websites
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:26 PM
  • I use WEP. I also use an N Ultra Adapter.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:36 PM
  • When trying to connect did you give win7 the random key the router gives you or the password you used to generate the key?
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Email me | 'Gadget' programs: Visit websites
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:28 PM
  • As your question, to check if hardware is compatible with Windows 7, you can confirm it in the following link.

Windows 7 Compatibility Center

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Default.aspx?type=Hardware

Have you checked if the password stored in the wireless adapter is correct?

You can try the following steps to verify if the password stored in the adapter matches the password set in the router.

Open the properties of the wireless network, and from the Security tab check the box next to Show characters. This will show a previously entered wireless network key,

Note: viewing the wireless network key in this manner requires administrative rights.

If the password math the router setting, it’s better to remove the wireless adapter driver from the device manager, then reinstall the latest driver downloaded from the Linksys website according to our wireless adapter model.

John Zhu

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:07 AM
  • In addion, you can try to reset the router, then do not set the password, at last test if we can connect the Internet via the router.

If we can connect to the Internet, please reset the Security setting in the Router, and create a new wireless Connection.

John

John
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:02 AM
  • Talk to Linksys again and ask to speak with a supervisor. They are suppose to solve the problem at no charge to you.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:19 AM