none
Windows Media Player 12 Library is completely broken for me

Question

• I cannot get WMP 12 to import my library. I have searched all the related posts and have since disabled Media Sharing, deleted my %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player directory and tried reimporting, etc. but nothing works.

I have a large mp3 collection shared on the network from another Windows box. I add the folder (tried as a mapped drive and UNC path) and it begins importing. After about 30 minutes into the import (the CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb hits just under 400MB) my WMP player stops importing and all of the icons in WMP turn to red x's and my library is gone. I close and reopen WMP 12 and the library is empty and the CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb is small and it strarts importing again. Rinse, lather, repeat.
    I am going nuts as WMP11 on Vista handles this same setup perfectly. I am at my wits end on what else to try.

I am running a legit Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RTM install.

Here is a screenshot of what WMP12 looks like when the import dies:

http://imgur.com/HaeG2.png

Friday, November 6, 2009 4:56 PM

Answers

• If you read this, would you be so kind as to mention where in the registry you changed this? - I have tracked the problem too exactly what you described. "My Music", "My Videos" and "My Pictures" have become plain old folders instead of the special folders they used to be. This happened in the process of changing the library default locations to a network drive.

UPDATE: Luckily the first 2 hits searching for "my music" in the registry were the culprits. For some reason they are not pointing to the library but directly to te same adress where the library was pointing (a mapped network drive that had been removed). Removing the mapping to the network drive from the library apparently did not affect the link for that particular my music destination.

1st registry key: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    2nd registry key: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

If you change the destinations that are no longer acccessible to something that IS accessible WMP should be working again!
    • Proposed as answer by Bossanovawitya Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:27 AM
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Hello all. Just to add in my 'guess what, it's happening to me too' comment.... This is crazy.. One thing that did work for me was to try it in a new profile on the same machine and it has so far rebuilt and not crashed. BClancy hit the nail on the head - how did this get to RTM?! This is starting to drive me nuts...

However.. today, I seem to have made progress.. as stated above, all seemed to be well when creating a new Profile and importing in the same way. I then deleted that profile, as it was only a test, but it did successfully import my whole library. I then went back to my original and main profile, and reset the permissions on my music folder allowing the WMPNetworkSvc full access then switching straight back to read only. I did all of this with the Windows Media Network Sharing Services in a stopped state.

I started WMP 12 earlier this morning and allowed it to rebuild the library and it has now completed - I closed and opened media player and it was still there, then rebooted and again, it was still there. Weird, but not complaining. I will add to this post if it goes wrong again.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, November 27, 2009 10:10 AM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:18 AM

All replies

• Check that W7MP can see your library storage location by ripping a cd and checking that it builds a database correctly. 
    Is the music collection on the machine you are trying to access it from or on a networked drive? 
    Friday, November 6, 2009 7:31 PM
  • The library is on a network drive. It can see the library storage location fine, because it displays and play the files correctly when it first starts importing. It isn't until about 30-40 minutes into the import process that it dies and looks like the attached screenshot. I have no idea if it is choking on a particular file or hitting a certain library size that may be causing the problem.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 10:18 PM
  • I am having the exact same problems as duckworth...cannot get my music collection loaded into WMP12. Tried all the same fixes also to no avail. Please get this fixed soon MS!
    If anyone has overcome these issues successfully, please post your solution.

BTW, that screenshot is exactly what my screen looks like after WMP 12 chokes on my library. My mp3 files are all stored on an internal NTFS HDD on my Windows 7 machine and will play if directly accessed through Windows Explorer or other media application.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:37 AM
  • BUMP
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 4:22 AM
  • OK, I Just confirmed this is definitely a problem not specific to my computer. I just clean installed Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on an old test machine, opened WMP12 and added the same network folder of mp3's and it crashed about an hour into the import with the same appearance as the screenshot I posted above and the library disappears.

So the problem has to be one of several things:
    1. The large size of the library
    2. The fact that the library is on the network (in my case)
    3. A specific file or file is causing it the player to crash
    Does anyone have any insights on how I may further narrow the problem down?

At this point, from the other posts I have read I think there is a size limit to the library. I think I will start a thread to see what the largest library that people have successfully loaded is.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 2:35 PM
  • I have a music library of just over 300GB, around 30,000 tracks.  1/4-1/3 is on my local c: drive, the rest on a local external eSata HDD drive.  WMP 11 in Vista handled it fine.  WMP 12 in Win7 HP cannot read it in after several tries (clearing library and starting over).  It keeps "updating" forever, and WMP 12 will not close normally during this unending process.  I cannot even kill WMP 12 using Task Manager.  It is constantly accessing my external HDD.  One folder on the external drive has 135 GB of music in it, and WMP 12 is evidently choking on updating the library on that folder.  The library is still being updated, it just takes forever.  I have turned off internet updating of music files so that the update process could (should?) run faster, with no effect.  Shall I keep waiting?  Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:06 AM
  • OK, so I just tried some more things to narrow down the problem. I tried adding the local files to the library on a clean install of Windows Server 2008 R2, which has the same version of Windows Media Player 12 as Windows 7 and had the same problem. So it isn't network related, nor is it related to Windows 7 specifically. I also removed the "Maintain my star ratings as global ratings in files" option.
    So it has to be down to 1 of 2 things...

1. The large amount of files in the library
    2. A specific file or file is causing it the player to crash
    I guess I will have to keep trying to narrow it down. I can't believe how many posts I find on the internet with similar problems with no real acknowledgment from Microsoft that WMP12 is severely broken.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:08 PM
  • I just found that my library update problem was related to two corrupted files in my library.  The update would always stop and hang on one of two artists, so I did a disk error check.  The check detected and fixed disk problems on files from the same two artists.  I then deleted those artists and re-copied them from a backup.  The library then updated fine.  At least one track is still corrupted, I think from its original source (a friend).  It is interesting that WMP 11 just skipped over this file on making its library, but it hung WMP 12 completely.

So, duckworth, it seems like your #2 item was the problem for me.  WMP 12 never crashed for me, but would hang.  It couldn't get past the disk error on reading my files.  The bad files were on an external eSata HDD.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:36 PM
  • To further try and narrow the problem down I watched all file activity with Process Monitor as WMP12 added my music to the library and it actually finished reading all of the files in the directory I added. Then it proceeded to write to the CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb for a good half an hour before it crashed. I tried adding only the last files that were read by WMP12 just to confirm that they weren't and issue an it had no problem with those particular files on their own. So something is killing the library database on the post file scan process.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:54 PM
  • What file types are involved here?  MP3, right?  I'm curious if there's some memory leak or something else going on here, since the player's images not showing up indicate something catastrophic is going on.  You might want to check Task Manager:Processes : Show Processes from all users, and turn on Working Set // Handles // GDI Objects and see if anybody is being particularly piggy.

Can you add subsections of the MP3 collection successfully?  Or are they all in one giant folder?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:59 PM
  • What file types are involved here?  MP3, right?  I'm curious if there's some memory leak or something else going on here, since the player's images not showing up indicate something catastrophic is going on.  You might want to check Task Manager:Processes : Show Processes from all users, and turn on Working Set // Handles // GDI Objects and see if anybody is being particularly piggy.

Can you add subsections of the MP3 collection successfully?  Or are they all in one giant folder?
    They are all MP3. I Have added various folders of the collection successfully, but have never been able to add the entire collection which is in one root folder structure seperated into Artist/Album folders. I have tried from 3 machines (Win7 x64, Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 and Win7 x86) and they all do the same thing. I will try looking at memory usage next.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:31 AM
  • I also have the same error as duckworth, I am importing 550Gb of music. WMP 12 also seems to have changed some of the ID Tags as there a number of albums that I have created almost 2 years ago now coming up with Unknown album. Several albums now do not have album art or the wrong album art which I then have to correct. At this stage I am giving up until this is fixed as there are too many inconsistencies; my backup which is running on Windows Vista has none of these problems. Vista is now my 'good' backup - not my 'bad' backup - this is not good!

Can someone confirm a change in ID Tag versions? Could this be the root of the problems?

Seems this has been around since January how did this get to RTM?
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=722422

More confirmations:
    http://steelpangolin.wordpress.com/2009/09/13/wmp12-dont-bother/
    http://www.sevenforums.com/music-pictures-video/27188-wmp-12-does-not-recognize-id3-tags.html
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:23 AM
  • Hello all. Just to add in my 'guess what, it's happening to me too' comment.... This is crazy.. One thing that did work for me was to try it in a new profile on the same machine and it has so far rebuilt and not crashed. BClancy hit the nail on the head - how did this get to RTM?! This is starting to drive me nuts...

However.. today, I seem to have made progress.. as stated above, all seemed to be well when creating a new Profile and importing in the same way. I then deleted that profile, as it was only a test, but it did successfully import my whole library. I then went back to my original and main profile, and reset the permissions on my music folder allowing the WMPNetworkSvc full access then switching straight back to read only. I did all of this with the Windows Media Network Sharing Services in a stopped state.

I started WMP 12 earlier this morning and allowed it to rebuild the library and it has now completed - I closed and opened media player and it was still there, then rebooted and again, it was still there. Weird, but not complaining. I will add to this post if it goes wrong again.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, November 27, 2009 10:10 AM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:18 AM
  • I'm also having problems with the library. But in my case, I can't add ANYTHING in it. Not even a directory with some pictures.

Tried deleting the db folder, etc. But it just doesn't let me add directories. :s

Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:05 AM
  • I want to add my situation here as well.  I have been running Vista Ultimate 64 for 2 years now and just upgraded to Win7.  I used the upgrade option and all went smoothly.  Smoothest I have ever seen an update.  Unfortunately, I just added a 1TB drive and I got cute - adding an M: drive for my music and a P: drive for my Photos (my videos have always been on a V: drive) and then moving all of my Windows libraries to correspond with the drives.

Now media player cannot find any of my music or pictures.  It can see all of my videos (still on a V: drive), but it doesn't even respond when I click on ORGANIZE/MANAGE LIBRARIES/MUSIC.  Nothing.  The same for Photos (also moved to a new drive).  Videos - as I said - work fine.

I have stopped all the services, deleted the Dbase files, restarted my computer several times and have no luck.  I am not sure at all even where to start.  One website mentioned the "WMP's Tools:Advanced:Restore Media Library menu tool" but I have not seen such a thing.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

K
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Press CONTROL+M to see the player's menu.

If you enter "Libraries" on the Start Menu and go there, can you click on the Music and Pictures locations there and get to your files... ?
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:05 PM
  • In the libraries, all of my files are visible and I can navigate through them all.

Thank you for helping me find the restore media library - the first try didn't work, but I am still playing around with it and hopefully will find success soon.

K

PS.
    As I have played around, I cannot set the rip destination - I click on the change button and nothing happens.  The "restore media library" simply closes WMP and does nothing.  All of my music is visible in the Library in the start menu, but WMP refuses to allow me to look.

However, it will see my pictures.  Now, no videos or music, just my pictures.

I'm very confused...

Should I reinstall?
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Another addition.  It appears that my MY MUSIC and MY VIDEOS are no longer personal folders.  I looked under my user name and had neither listed.  I right-clicked on the folders and did not see the LOCATION tab - indicating that they have lost the personal file designation and, although my LIBRARIES tab will allow me to look into them and see what's there, nothing else - not WMP or iTunes - will see them or allow me to use them.

I will need to go and find a way to reassociate them in Win 7.

K
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:43 AM
  • @KTvan: Right-click on the Start menu's start button.  Click Open Windows Explorer.  Right-click on "Music".  Are the Library locations valid/set correctly... ?
    Monday, November 30, 2009 10:30 PM
  • I just fixed it.  I went into the registry, and checked all the values there.  Each of the folders were pointing to different drive locations - all of them invalid.  Once I corrected them, everything else worked.

K
    Monday, November 30, 2009 10:47 PM
  • If you read this, would you be so kind as to mention where in the registry you changed this? - I have tracked the problem too exactly what you described. "My Music", "My Videos" and "My Pictures" have become plain old folders instead of the special folders they used to be. This happened in the process of changing the library default locations to a network drive.

UPDATE: Luckily the first 2 hits searching for "my music" in the registry were the culprits. For some reason they are not pointing to the library but directly to te same adress where the library was pointing (a mapped network drive that had been removed). Removing the mapping to the network drive from the library apparently did not affect the link for that particular my music destination.

1st registry key: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    2nd registry key: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

If you change the destinations that are no longer acccessible to something that IS accessible WMP should be working again!
    • Proposed as answer by Bossanovawitya Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:27 AM
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 12:39 PM
  • I cannot get WMP 12 to import my library. I have searched all the related posts and have since disabled Media Sharing, deleted my %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player directory and tried reimporting, etc. but nothing works.

I have a large mp3 collection shared on the network from another Windows box. I add the folder (tried as a mapped drive and UNC path) and it begins importing. After about 30 minutes into the import (the CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb hits just under 400MB) my WMP player stops importing and all of the icons in WMP turn to red x's and my library is gone. I close and reopen WMP 12 and the library is empty and the CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb is small and it strarts importing again. Rinse, lather, repeat.
    I am going nuts as WMP11 on Vista handles this same setup perfectly. I am at my wits end on what else to try.

I am running a legit Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RTM install.

I'm currently experiencing not quite the same, but a similar problem. 
    I can only tell you what to try, I can't say if it will work.

For me, it wasn't a problem of actually importing/monitoring my music - it was my playlists. I have quite a few and I use them for everything so it was important to get it resolved.
    WMP12 wasn't deleting them and wasn't creating them. I found out that it was a permissions problem. I think most of us have our music on perhaps another partition or drive. I have my music on another drive and it's been that way since XP. I also had 7 RC and I believe that's what started these issues because everything worked fine in RC.

Apparently there is some correlation with setting up your libraries and joining a homegroup. Your account probably takes permission of the folders and files. So what happens is that once you re-install or format and install Windows again, while you are technically the admin, and your admin account takes control of the folders, they're still 'shared' and belong to other users as well. This creates a really annoying problem where you need admin permission whenever you want to create a folder in certain folders, you can't even create an actual 'file' of any time. 

To test if your directories are affected, use the sharing tab and see who's there. You'll see Admin (owner) and then your login (read/write) and then possible unknown (read/write).
    Another way to see if they're affected is to try to make a new file in one. If all you see if Folder and the UAC shield, then the permissions for that folder is messed up. One final test is to try to make a playlist file. Depending on where you set your rip folder, that is where WMP12 will create a playlists folder, and if this is within an affected area then the folder will automatically be 'taken over' by the 'ghost settings' I call them....because of this, you won't be able to make any auto or manual playlists. If you try to make an auto list, nothing will happen. If you try a manual one, you'll get an error message that WMP12 doesn't have the permission or something like that.

In the OPs case, that's PROBABLY a situation where at some point he turned off sharing for some of the folders, and now even though WMP12 technically has permission, it also doesn't....as the folder is meant for another user or at least thinks it is.

Many, many people are starting to see this problem. Especially people with a good size music collection that keeps it on one drive/partition, which is persistent through formats or upgrades.

The Fix:

MY fix was to leave the homegroup and remove the folders from the library temporarily. 
    Then I went through my main music and playlist folders in my music directory and made sure they were all 'unlocked', so to speak. Taking control of affected folders doesn't work. You have to create another folder and copy the contents from the affected folder. 
    Also, creating another profile helps only temporarily. As soon as you mess with including files into your various media libraries and allowing access to the homegroup, the administrator permission problem will pop up again.

Now all is well for me and I'm able to make/delete playlists again. Luckily, none of my actual music folders were affected so my imports/monitored folders were picked up fine.

I still have to give it time and see if it happens again.

Good Luck. I hope this helps people.

EDIT:

I wanted to mention that people having actual corruption troubles with WMP12 may want to try removing and installing it again. 
    To do this, go to Uninstall a Program and Turn Windows Features on and off and uncheck the box. Restart, go back there and check the box.
    Any broken associations, or corrupted files will be fixed.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:49 AM
  • Just to add a note... Running into slow and choppy playback on a monster system during WMP start up... I have a Quad Core with 8GB Ram and Solid State Drives (music is on Solid State drives locally) and Windows 7 x64. (entire machine is less than 6 months old)

When I start up WMP... (long after Windows boots) it seems have slower playback and some choppy secitons for about 5-10 minutes or so... Noticable slow down in playback speed... It seems to improve after I have been running for a while....

Homegroup, WMP Options and Sharing Options suggested in this thread seemed to HELP, but it is still doing it. I removed all but 1 playlist to see if it was that... no real difference... I find it hard to believe that this system cant play a music file without slowing down or being choppy... I have everything shutdown but WMP and it still does it... NO other apps running, so I am a bit confused.

No other apps are showing any signs of issues... Everything is virtually instant access and pops the way I would expect on this hardware. Once my library built it seemed fine and I havent had any more issues there...

WMP must be "doing something" in the background for a while is all I can assume. I have turned off every option I can find to fix this in WMP but havent found the key yet? Anyone else having this issue?
    Patrick DAlton
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 5:07 PM

Thank you!

Solved the problem for me. Seems like some kinda bug in Windoze 7 that the reg doesn't get updated even though in every other place the libraries are listed correctly! 

Dan.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:06 PM
  • I would suggest a great liitle program, it fixs most of the common errors on windows media player and other components, give it a shot

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloads/FixWin.zip
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:34 PM
  • @win7: What specifically is that going to be doing here?  I get scared of all-in-one fix packages since they sometimes go into the wilderness and do strange things. :)
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:41 AM
  • It fixed my media player as it would not open at all. This utility fixed it completely. Trust me if you dont feel safe of it doing something to the registry you can always make a backup of it. Trust me mate it works fine. It also fixed the folder thumbnails which were not working for me but it does now. 5/5

Please try it and vote me as helpful
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:29 PM
  • I was specifically interested in the specifics of what it does or purports to do.  :)
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:16 PM
  • What are the correct registry location settings?  Mine are pointing to username\music.  It appears that it perhaps should be 'my music' instead of 'music'. Is this correct? 

I went to the two locations referenced here (shell folders and user shell folders) and changed it to My Music and pointed to that folder from the WMP library but it did not work.

Videos are showing up fine in WMP, as are pictures, and in the registry those folders are simply "Videos" and "Pictures", not "My Videos" and "My Pictures", so I don't think this is the issue.  Please help.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:41 PM
  • I don't see anything in that program that even references WMP.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:54 PM
  • same problem for me too. Running genuine 7x64 Ultimate...

When adding MP3's from my NAS, i get one of the following behaviors:

a. It gets about 30 minutes in and either finishes, but with half of my library not showing,

b. Sits and does nothing then if i click on it it shows "Not responding"

c. or does exactly as you described.

Its seems to puke if your library is large or if you persevere, it seems to barf it all up afterwards and lose the lot.

I did have some success feeding it small snippets (folder at a time) but when you have a huge library like me, its not practical for me to faff around all night like that. Anyway, after doing that and spending a whole night adding, i find the following behavior several days later:

a. constantly refreshing the library (why? even though i added nothing and switched off all the auto watch stuff)

b. few days after... then half the library has vanished (why? even though i can see my NAS in explorer and browse to the MP3 folder and see all the MP3 files)

c. few days after that... now says my library is empty, but somehow remembered to keep a handful of the playlists?? (why? even though i can see my NAS in explorer and browse to the MP3 folder and see all the MP3 files and play them in WMP12)

In the other room, my desktop which has multiboot xpmce, vista x64 and 7x64 has the same library added and working perfectly in xp and vista, but wmp12 in windows 7 just cannot cope with the basics.

Then theres the album art:

Sometimes it loads, sometimes it just loses it and you get the default musical note instead? (Why?)

Then theres the video playback problems:

approx 10% - 20% of time when playing WMV, MKV or AVI files, you get no playback, a busy out for about 30-60 seconds and "Server Execution Failed"

when this happens i have to kill wmplayer.exe in task manager and go to type

net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Local Service" /add

(or run in a batch file)

try the file again and it plays???  This is really shonky.

WMP11 was when i moved away from using Winamp permanently because it was integral in windows media center on vista, but this is appalling Microsoft. I didnt have this in WinVista x64 then Win7x64 Beta, it worked fine albeit with crappy 200x200 album art but we worked around that despite it never being fixed. Thankfully ive switched back to Winamp Pro which isnt without its own little issues, but it can cope with the fundamentals like adding your media to your library.

I wont even bother complaining about the appalling file copy speeds in kb/s when you have gb LAN or even drive to drive on same machine (yes ive read about all the Remote diff compression and other stuff) its just really slow anyway and im horrified that Mac users can (and do) throw this at me. Nor will i rant about task manager not responding problems and i wont rave about the sound card issues when coming out of sleep... Why did i "upgrade" to Windows 7 again? I got skyplayer in the MC strip.. but i could just run it in vista anyway.. was that and a new taskbar worth the £168 for full retail?

Vista was far from perfect, but after SP1 it was mostly ok. But yet again MS focus on putting new things in, but break yet more basic stuff thats always worked - almost like "Silo development", but at least i get their updated DRM.

Puking whilst adding to library, losing your library, endlessly refreshing the library, randomly losing album art, failing to playback a video that runs without any problems after you do some jibbery pokery, slower than any previous windows OS (and OSX) file transfer speeds, task manager not responding, sound card failing/disappearing when coming out of sleep..... well "That was my idea" and seems Microsoft really listened to me with Windows 7.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:26 PM
  •  

Hi; after i tried that one, MP working the way is meant to be... after reboot or closing it works well... Mp now recognize my library and other changes

i hope it works for you. (under Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fixing-when-windows-media-player-library-wont-let-you-add-files/

Sunday, September 26, 2010 1:57 PM

This works for me. Just make sure, along with everything else, that "Documents" is "My Documents", and "Pictures" is "My Pictures", if it applies.

Thanks BossEd.

Saturday, November 6, 2010 11:37 PM

This works for me. Just make sure, along with everything else, that "Documents" is "My Documents", and "Pictures" is "My Pictures", if it applies.

Thanks BossEd.

Worked for me as well after a very frustrating morning trying to fix this fault "automatically"
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:19 PM
  • Unfortunately this is a late response but, there is an easy fix to a corrupted WMP if you have a fairly current version of Windows.

Enter in a seach box the following

Microsoft fix it solution center troubleshootong software issues.

You should get a site with M.S. product icons like Explrer, office, WMP Win media player, etc

Simply click on the program that is troubled like a corrupted WMP and follow the prompts so it will fix the issue for you by resetting the program database.

Keep this as a favorite for future use.

• Edited by Peterma Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:35 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:33 PM
  • @BossEd: You're a saviour.  I've been roaming all over the MS forums and nothing worked, your solution did the trick though.  I like WMP, when it works...
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 12:38 AM
  • BossEd your solution worked perfectly

Once i opened the registry and followed your post it all made sense and worked seamlessly 

Thank you!

Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:59 AM
  • BossEd, great this worked perfectly!

after trying removing then re-installing media player to no avail, then using the microsoft fixit tool, which while resetting everything also failed to cure the problem of no libraries and functions not working in media player, I was about ready to give up

the problem found in the registry was I had media player set to look at F:\My Documents\My Music. However a recent change to my system meant that it was now D:\My Documents\My Music, and this was what was stopping everything working.

I cannot believe that a/ media player cannot generate a meaningful error message when this occurs, or give you the chance to re-specify where your media folders are,

and b/ microsofts own fixit tool cannot cope with this senario either, after all drive letters changing is not an unusual thing to happen

this was on windows 7 ultimate with media player 12

Friday, January 4, 2013 9:41 AM