Is there a way to make Windows Defender ask you before taking action? RRS feed

• Question

• July 2020:
    Disabling Automatic Remediation does not work.

When you go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows Defender
    Add DisableRoutinelyTakingAction DWORD
    And set the value to 1.

Windows Defender still does whatever it wants whenever the heck it wants under fully patched Windows 8.1.

This is the same thing that does not work: Command Prompt (Admin) then copy, paste:

Turn off Automatic Remediation:
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableRoutinelyTakingAction /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Turn on Automatic Remediation:
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableRoutinelyTakingAction /f
    Tuesday, July 14, 2020 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Check your pc according to the following tips:

• removed all other anti-virus applications or security suites that were ever installed on your PC

•  Windows Firewall is on, and set to defaults. 

• “Install updates automatically (recommended)” selected in Windows Update.

By the way, Consider upgrading to Windows 10.

Best regards,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 2:39 AM
  • Thank you for posting. I followed your advice:
    1. Windows 8.1 fresh install does not have any other anti-virus applications or security suites that were ever installed by definition.
    2. Windows 8.1 is fully updated and rebooted several times.

3. Would you please clarify, as I do not understand how a Windows Update setting set to
    "Install updates automatically (recommended)" can possibly have anything to do with Windows Defender being asked not to alter files without prompting for permission first.
    I am interested in the connection between the two.

4. Regarding "Consider upgrading to Windows 10"
    I bought Windows 8 retail discs at Office Max the day Windows 8 came out. Updates for it are scheduled for another three years.
    Upgrading to Windows 10 would make me a Beta tester, as Windows 10 is de facto Beta software given all the bugs that are regularly introduced and corrected thanks to all you Windows 10 users who are Beta testing Windows 10 for us, getting it ready for 2023 once Windows 8 reaches End of Life. I personally thank each and everyone of you, for Beta testing Windows 10, getting it ready for us in three years.

I dual boot with Windows 10 but rarely boot into it because we simply have fewer problems on Windows 8.1 - because we are not forced to perform a biannual reinstall of Windows 10 that Microsoft calls Feature Updates, which by definition turn all current Windows 10 users (not just Windows Insiders) into Beta testers twice a year.

Thread question is:
    Is there a way to make Windows Defender ask permission before altering files?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2020 5:28 PM
  • Hi,

In fact, what you have done are the ways to disable Windows Defender's automatic remediation. We need to do some normal troubleshooting when they do not work.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/stop-windows-defender-from-automatically-removing/4603e03f-6e53-42bb-8276-8af358453a92

If the issue persists, I advise open a support ticket with Microsoft for deep research .

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hub/4343728/support-for-business

Best regards,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, July 17, 2020 7:12 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. Your link appears to be for a pay-for Microsoft support plan. I just wanted to post that on other computer forums it appears to be common knowledge that Windows Defender *cannot* be made to prompt you before taking action and that this is why (some) people avoid using Windows Defender altogether.

It remains a mystery what the words "Automatic Remediation" mean in actual real life. Was there ever a time when this option worked to actually make Windows Defender ask you before quarantining/deleting files?

In other words, Windows Defender cannot be controlled/restrained from taking action today. If this ever changes, and someone is reading this in the future, please post here if this thread remains unlocked.

Saturday, July 18, 2020 5:56 AM
  • Try to disabled using the Group Policy Editor.

Computer Configuration Administrative Templates Windows Components Windows Defender Antivirus Turn off routine remediation.

Double click on it and then enable the group policy in the new window which pops up.

Best regards,

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:36 AM