none
How do I troubleshoot a hang on Shutdown?

Question

• My machine is hanging on every shutdown. I get to the final blue screen showing the 'windows is shutting down' message (can't remember the exact text), but the machine never powers off. The same problem occurs when I attempt to restart - i.e. the machine hangs in Windows before shutting down.

I presume that I have some sort of problem with a driver or service not closing since Windows thinks that all applications have stopped correctly. How do I troubleshoot to find out what is causing the hang?

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:09 AM

All replies

• It is usually caused by a third part driver hanging and not leting the system unload it. I would look at uninstalling any drivers or programs that you installed after initial Windows install.
    Tim Comes
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Thanks - I'm guessing that it is that sort of problem, but wondered if there's some sort of log file (or utility) that would allow me to find out which driver is hanging rather than disabling each one in turn and testing?
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:21 PM
  • I had the same problem. Mine was caused by an M-Audio driver.  The problem will not be addressed yet because Windows 7 they consider to be still in beta.  Listed on the forum there is a work around that works.  If you don't have M-Audio I can be of no more help.  I am no tech this was just an experience of my problem.

JB
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Thanks. Sadly (I guess!) I don't have the M-Audio problem. Still wondering if there's some way to find out which specific driver/service is causing the problem?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:46 PM
  • I'd love to know as well how to pinpoint the problem with shutdown hanging. I don't find unplugging USB cables to be a very good solution.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:32 PM
  • This issue is still around for me in the RTM version.
    You can run a bootlog to find out problems loading drivers, so surely there must be some form of exitlog to find which drivers did not unload succesfully...yes, no? Any MVP's have an answer for this?

Thanks.
    Life Is...
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:54 PM
  • To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you shut down, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). On this screen the problem is sometimes shown.

If it isn’t shown, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt. Close the command prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 200 series are shut down events. There may be a name or reason in the event listing.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:57 PM
  • I ran BurrWalnut's procedure.   I got to the "Advanced Tools" panel described at the end of his first paragraph.  

On that panel I found "View Performance Details in Event Log".  This turned out to be highly useful in that it gives a "Task Category" column and lists "Shutdown Performance Montitoring" as well as Boot performance, etc.  This pointed me to the app that was hanging up shutdown.  It also pointed out apps that were slowing startup.    Thanks, BurrWalnut.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:49 PM
  • I did that too and guess what I found...1 app was causing windows shut down problems and 1 driver causing wake from sleep problems. Both the app and the driver are from Microsoft.

That really made me laugh.
    Life Is...
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:54 PM
  • I have a similar problem with a non shutting down shut down.

I have found the "Event Viewer" (Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools > View Performance Details in Event Log), but I cannot see where you found "Shutdown Performance Montitoring" or Boot performance, etc.

Where in the viewer should I be looking?

Monday, February 28, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Typically I found that some application or service is at issue when shutdown is delayed as drivers only act as a go between.

Drivers are better tested than applications so this is what I suggest to look at.

Open the task manager and see what is running, then shut the machine down.

My MVP is for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT, and I am getting increasingly good with Visual Studio.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Monday, February 28, 2011 1:44 AM
  • I have found the "Event Viewer" (Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools > View Performance Details in Event Log), but I cannot see where you found "Shutdown Performance Montitoring" or Boot performance, etc.

Where in the viewer should I be looking?

this is only a summary. To see details, follow my guide [1] to make a shutdown trace and compress the shutdown_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl as 7z or RAR and upload it to your Skydrive [2] and post the link here.

I take a look at the trace, maybe I see what's wrong with your Windows.

regards
    André

[1] http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140247
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, February 28, 2011 1:38 PM