none
Install programs without administrator account or password on standalone workstation?

Question

• Hello,

I support a client and she can't have the administrator password for this PC as her boss has plenty of restricted files on the drives of this PC.    He'd like her to be able to install apps though.   Even if I restrict the rights to the folders he wants to secure, she could with admin rights give herself rights to those folders.   Also he tends to toss files everywhere so I can't expect the secured folders to be the only ones he needs restricted.

Can I give a person rights to install apps on a standalone Windows 7 enterprise workstation without giving them admin rights?   GP?
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:08 PM

All replies

• I think you can do this with playing around with the user policys

5th in the state of Minnesota For Computer Repair www.swanson-pc-repair.com
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:25 PM
  • Can I give a person rights to install apps on a standalone Windows 7 enterprise workstation without giving them admin rights?   GP?

This cannot be done.

Anyone able to install applications needs administrator rights to make changes in restricted areas like HKLM, the Program Files folder, the Windows folder and install drivers etc. There is no way to delegate these rights to another user on a local system without handing out administrator rights or completely rearranging the Windows security model.
    Ray - Author of Windows 7 for XP Professionals
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:59 PM
  • OK - thanks I was hoping there might.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 2:53 AM