none
Upgrading from Windows Server 2016 Standard "Evaluation" to a fully registered version RRS feed

• Question

• We downloaded the Windows Server 2016 Standard Evaluation version and after trying for a few weeks, bought the full version.  When trying to add the license key, we are getting a "This Edition Cannot Be Upgraded" error.  Is it not possible to upgrade an eval to a full version?
    • Edited by Callaway-C Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:15 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:11 PM

All replies

• What do you get when you run;

Dism /Online /Get-TargetEditions

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:15 PM
  • Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

Editions that can be upgraded to:

Target Edition : ServerStandard
    Target Edition : ServerDatacenter

The operation completed successfully.
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:17 PM
  • This one should work unless there's an issue with the key.

Dism /online /Set-Edition: <edition name> /AcceptEula /ProductKey:12345-67890-12345-67890-12345

Where <edition name> is the higher edition that you want to change to. (ServerStandard or ServerDatacenter)

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Julian Delaney Sunday, February 11, 2018 10:57 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:21 PM
  • Error: 87

The /Set-Edition: option is missing a required argument.
    For more information, refer to the help for the /Set-Edition: option.
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:31 PM
  • Fill in either ServerStandard or ServerDatacenter immediately after colon;

example;

Dism /online /Set-Edition:ServerStandard /AcceptEula /ProductKey:12345-67890-12345-67890-12345

• Proposed as answer by jjanssens Friday, November 25, 2016 7:04 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:33 PM
  • I stand corrected:  Removing the space between /Set-Edition: and ServerStandard may have done the trick. Therefore:

Dism /online /Set-Edition:ServerStandard /AcceptEula /ProductKey:12345-67890-12345-67890-12345

Now it has been stuck at 10% for 15 minutes if not longer with the following message:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

Starting to update components...
    Starting to install product key...
    Finished installing product key.

Removing package Microsoft-Windows-ServerStandardEvalEdition~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0
    [=====                      10.0%                          ]

Hope that is normal.  I will update status when completed (or fails).

Thank you Dave!

• Proposed as answer by fatih yavaş Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:07 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:48 PM
  • I think it should have went pretty quick.

Friday, November 18, 2016 12:02 AM
  • After a bit of patience, we are now licensed and everything is working great.  Thank you for the spot-on advice Dave!
    Friday, November 18, 2016 12:03 AM
  • Sweet deal, you're welcome.

Friday, November 18, 2016 12:04 AM
  • Thanks. Had the same problem. Using DISM instead of the GUI was the solution indeed. 
    Friday, November 25, 2016 7:05 PM
  • had the exact same issue and now all is good thanx to this thread..

Curious though why the GUI change product key doesn't work, worked great in server 2008 thru 2012 r2.

And then I am having an HD issue, seems if the boot drive is over 2tb the OS can only use the first 2TB of the drive.... Followed the same installation of it as did with server 2012 r2...

http://www.garageaction.com

Thursday, May 18, 2017 1:37 PM
  • had the exact same issue and now all is good thanx to this thread..

Curious though why the GUI change product key doesn't work, worked great in server 2008 thru 2012 r2.

And then I am having an HD issue, seems if the boot drive is over 2tb the OS can only use the first 2TB of the drive.... Followed the same installation of it as did with server 2012 r2...

http://www.garageaction.com

I'd start a new thread (question).

Thursday, May 18, 2017 1:41 PM
  • I am getting the same issue. After using the DISM command to change the product key, it's stuck at 10% at "Removing package Microsoft-Wind...."

Did this eventually go through for you? Seems like it should be a quick thing.

Friday, May 19, 2017 3:02 AM
  • I am getting the same issue. After using the DISM command to change the product key, it's stuck at 10% at "Removing package Microsoft-Wind...."

Did this eventually go through for you? Seems like it should be a quick thing.

I'd start a new thread (question).

Friday, May 19, 2017 3:08 AM
  • Did this eventually complete?  Mine is also stuck at 10.0% after more than a couple hours!
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:03 AM
  • Mine has been stuck for over 2 hours!

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>DISM /online /Set-Edition:ServerStandard /ProductKey:[My Product Key Hidden] /AcceptEula

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

Removing package Microsoft-Windows-ServerStandardEvalEdition~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0
    [=====                      10.0%                          ]

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:06 AM
  • For Server 2016 this worked. I saw post on one of

the sites and applied and it worked.

Dism /online /Set-Edition: <edition name> /AcceptEula /ProductKey:12345-67890-12345-67890-12345

Where <edition name> is the higher edition that you want to
         change to. (ServerStandard or ServerDatacenter)

From <https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5418a7cd-23d1-48c3-acbd-9300211e2508/upgrading-from-windows-server-2016-standard-evaluation-to-a-fully-registered-version?forum=ws2016>

Nelson Ehis

• Proposed as answer by nelson E Friday, June 23, 2017 4:30 PM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 4:30 PM
  • My installation eventually completed. It sat at 10% for an awfully long time though.
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 3:23 AM
  • Looks like it has a fetish with 10%. Converting the license on a number of servers now. It gets stuck exactly at 10% and then continues after about 40 minutes or so and finishes fine. But on one server, it went on going for 16 hours and I had to eventually wipe it out and install fresh with Server Standard disc :( On Windows Server 2012 though, it used to be smooth.

Always go with the non-evaluation disc on 2016, the best idea.

Monday, July 10, 2017 11:40 AM
  • Hi, Callaway, i have the same issues, have you only waited? or have find any other solution?

tnx bye

Friday, August 11, 2017 9:58 AM
  • after 2 hour of work its finished and actiated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

tnx a lot at all

Friday, August 11, 2017 11:19 AM
  • If you disconnect from the internet, it seems like it gets past 10% really fast.
    Saturday, September 2, 2017 1:03 AM
  • You have no idea how much work this just saved me!  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:06 PM
  • I've just hit this problem, why oh why oh why can't the GUI just work as intended?

Gah...

Friday, September 29, 2017 1:26 PM
  • I've just hit this problem, why oh why oh why can't the GUI just work as intended?

Gah...

I'd start a new thread.

Friday, September 29, 2017 1:28 PM
  • I had the same issue (stucks at 10%) from command prompt. Run the command in Windows Power Shell (Run as Administrator) and it finish it off swiftly.
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:41 PM
  • I had to continue hit Enter key to get it running. Finally finished and restart. Works!
    Friday, November 10, 2017 8:42 PM
  • I hit ctl-x and it continued past 10%, finished, and asked me to reboot. Great solution!

Holston IT

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:34 PM
  • saved me a LOT of time!  thank you!

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:48 PM
  • Will this method work when using a Datacenter evalutaion, but realizing that Standard license would suffice? I.e is ServerStandard "higher" than Datacenter Eval?
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:15 PM
  • Will this method work when using a Datacenter evalutaion, but realizing that Standard license would suffice? I.e is ServerStandard "higher" than Datacenter Eval?

Since a new user, new issue I'd start a new thread.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:30 PM
  • Took 20 minutes for me. Thank you for the patience remark! That gave me confidence it could end well :-)
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:04 PM
  • Open CMD:   Dism /online /Set-Edition: ServerStandard /AcceptEula /ProductKey:

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:53 AM
  • Yukarıdaki Makalede Geçen İşlemleri Gerçekleştirdim. Yanlız Bu İşlemi 1 Kaç Kez Üst Üste Gerçekleştirdim.

Çünkü İlkinde Finished installing product key. Bölümünde Takıldı ve Ctrl+C Yaptım Daha Sonra 

Removing package Microsoft-Windows ServerStandardEvalEdition~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0[=====                      10.0%                          ]

Kısmında Takıldı Yine Ctrl+c Yaptım ve Üçüncü Kez Yaptığımda %10 Kısmında Takılı Kaldı

Bu Esnada Mevcut Olan Tüm Güncelleme Ögelerini Eksiksiz İndirdim ve Cmd Modunda Çalıştırdığım İşlemi Bu Sefer Ctrl+C Yapmadan Güncelleme İçin Gelen Yeniden Başlatma Seçeneği İle Bilgisayarı Tekrar Başlatmayı Seçtim . Bu İşlem Sonucunda Sistem Yaklaşık Olarak 30-45 dakika Arası Sisteminizi Kapatmayın da Kaldı Daha Sonra Yeniden Başladığında Sisteminiz Temizleniyor Diye Uyarı Verdikten Sonra Yaklaşık 10 Dakika İçinde Sistem Açıldı. Bilgisayar Özeliklerine Girdiğim Zaman Server 2016 Standart Değerlendirme Yazısının ve Alt Köşedeki Gün Sayısın Kaybolduğunu Gördüm ve Lisans Anahtarlarını Tekrar Girerek Etkinleştirmeyi Başarılı Hale Getirmeyi Başardım.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:11 PM
  • Background: It worked for me on our host server. It took time, stuck at 10% for a while, but it eventually completed successfully, and our product key was accepted. 

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

-> What will happen when I use the same "evaluation" ISO installer to create Hyper-V VMs in a Datacenter edition? Will they license themselves properly from the host server? Will I have to convert its "edition" from evaluation to "ServerDataCenter."

-> If I have to convert the VM from "evaluation" to ServerDataCenter, can I omit the Product Key? Will the VM license itself from the host?

Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:19 PM
  • Background: It worked for me on our host server. It took time, stuck at 10% for a while, but it eventually completed successfully, and our product key was accepted. 

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

-> What will happen when I use the same "evaluation" ISO installer to create Hyper-V VMs in a Datacenter edition? Will they license themselves properly from the host server? Will I have to convert its "edition" from evaluation to "ServerDataCenter."

-> If I have to convert the VM from "evaluation" to ServerDataCenter, can I omit the Product Key? Will the VM license itself from the host?

I'd start a new thread detailing your issues.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:24 PM
  • That really worked for me :)
    Saturday, May 19, 2018 2:33 PM
  • Do you recall how long it took? I have been sitting at 10% complete for a good 20+ minutes<g class="gr_ gr_71 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="71" id="71">..</g>

Cheers, Matthew Kerfoot

Friday, June 1, 2018 2:58 PM
  • It was stuck at 10% for about 7 minutes here. but depends on the configuration of the server. Be patience I would say

Thanks for this fix. Worked after getting error 0xc004f050 during normal activation.

Thursday, June 7, 2018 8:54 AM
  • You can actually use the AVMA keys to activate VM's running on a licensed Hyper-V (2 for Standard, all for DataCenter) 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/hybridcloudbp/2016/01/29/windows-server-activation-best-practices/

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 11:11 AM
  • This did finally work for me as well but much patience is needed!

Had to wait an hour and forty-five minutes at 10% then it just finished.

Then a 20 minute reboot, but now it is licensed.

Thanks Dave!

This was the fix for my issue.

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 3:12 PM
  • Good to hear, you're welcome. 

(please vote up my post if helpful)

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 3:15 PM
  • It worked like a charm. Taken more time(25 minutes), but perfectly activated my Server. Thanks for your information.

JAMAL

Saturday, October 27, 2018 3:03 PM
  • It worked like a charm. Taken more time(25 minutes), but perfectly activated my Server. Thanks for your information.

JAMAL

Good to hear, you're welcome. 

(please vote up my post if helpful)

Saturday, October 27, 2018 3:41 PM
  • Tried an admin-elevated powershell, but it didn't make it quick.
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 7:06 AM
  • During all this time sitting at 10%, one entire core/CPU is running 100% courtesy of C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstaack_31bf38....etc\TiWorker.exe (which shows up as "Windows Modules Installer Worker" in Task Manager).  On my system, it's using nearly half a gig of RAM (taking usage as high as 92% ... perhaps it would like more but is being restrained), and has <10KB/sec read (no write) and no network activity.

So I presume it actually has work that needs doing (or thinks it does), and exactly how long it takes is a function of how much CPU bandwidth it really gets (my server is a VM with 2 VCPUs), and possibly whether RAM is churning to accommodate it.

Thursday, November 1, 2018 7:22 AM
  • This saved me a lot of time.  Thanks a lot!! 

Victor Espina Rancagua, Chile

Friday, November 30, 2018 4:42 PM
  • Thank you so much! Worked.
    Sunday, December 2, 2018 4:22 PM
  • Thank you Dave. 

Worked a treat for me on 2016 eval on a Hyper-V VM to standard. 

appreciate the help.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:45 AM
  • Running in power shell worked for me. Thanks!
    Monday, December 17, 2018 3:58 PM
  • Using Windows Server 2016 Eval edition, but meaning to install a Standard edition key.

Came here because the GUI activation failed when trying to change the Product Key.

This is what worked for me, running in Power Shell as Administrator:

Dism /online /Set-Edition:ServerStandard /AcceptEula /ProductKey:12345-67890-12345-67890-12345

The removal of packages was stuck at 10% for over an hour, but it eventually jumped to 88.5% and a few minutes later, it finished.

Rebooted, and it took about 10 more minutes of cleaning up.

Then, I had to run the GUI activation wizard again and type in the same Product Key in Control Panel --> System --> Windows Activation --> Change product key.

This time the GUI activation worked fine.

Be patient and thanks to everyone.

• Edited by LuigiMB Thursday, December 20, 2018 2:56 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 2:10 AM
  • Using Windows Server 2016 Eval edition, but meaning to install a Standard edition key.

Came here because the GUI activation failed when trying to change the Product Key.

This is what worked for me, running in Power Shell as Administrator:

The removal of packages was stuck at 10% for over an hour, but it eventually jumped to 88.5% and a few minutes later, it finished.

Rebooted, and it took about 10 more minutes of cleaning up.

Then, I had to run the GUI activation wizard again and type in the same Product Key in Control Panel --> System --> Windows Activation --> Change product key.

This time the GUI activation worked fine.

Be patient and thanks to everyone.

I had a server with Windows 2016 evaluation license and had expired so it was shutting down after a few hours by itself. I ran the Dism command about 4 times during two days and finally it passed the 10% and switched license to standard then I use the slmgr.vbs to activate it. 

• Proposed as answer by Cessna_michael Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Cessna_michael Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:33 AM
    Sunday, January 6, 2019 1:50 AM
  • After completing 10.0% server restarted and appearing "Getting Windows Ready. Don't turn off your computer" But it got stuck for a long time.

What would be the issue?

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:48 AM
  • This also helped me greatly!  Thank you very much.  Up vote done. 

I upgraded from Server Essentials to Server Standard.  The 10% grind is real.  Mine took approx 18-24 hours as I couldn't sit and watch it the entire time, but it did eventually finish & activated correctly to the standard version from the essential version.

Question: Can the now replaced Essentials version license be activated elsewhere?

Sunday, January 27, 2019 6:31 PM
  • Buenas he probado y me da error al no poder comprobar la licencia, como puedo proceder??'

Gracias de antemano

Thursday, March 28, 2019 4:55 PM
  • I bought win server std 2016 product key from ODosta Store at: http://products.odosta.com

Then I tried to activate on my evaluation version but it did not worked so I searched and found your post which helped me alot and now my product has been activated.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 5:14 PM
  • This was the trick. As soon as I disconnected from the internet, it took like 15 seconds and finished. Brilliant.
    Sunday, May 26, 2019 12:41 AM
  • Hey @ jordanbtucker, This was stuck for and hour and a half and worked like a charm - I disabled the NIC, wrote an email, looked up and it jumped up to 88.5 in a few minutes!!... By the time I logged in to thank you, it finished and prompted for a reboot - THANK YOU !!
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 9:15 PM
  • Thanks for this it worked and also thanks to all who posted about their experiences, it helped me in waiting for the process to complete.
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:29 PM
  • Hi all,

My server is stuck after:

Nothing happen even after an hour

Friday, June 21, 2019 9:32 AM