none
Chainloading a Linux boot image in Windows 8

Question

• Our product needs to boot to a customized OS to run. With Windows Vista and 7, we would chainload our OS through the BCD. I've recently discovered that with Windows 8 we can't do that. We can add the same entries to the BCD, but when we reboot, we get "Windows failed to start". It seems to have some connection to UEFI. When I upgraded my Windows 7 testing system to Windows 8, it worked just fine, but when we try it on new Window 8 systems, it fails. I can give you more specifics if you like.

From my research, it seems that UEFI with SecureBoot only wants to boot OSes signed by Microsoft. How can I go about getting our customized version of Linux signed? If I do, how can I chainload it through the BCD? And where will I need to place our kernel and boot images?

Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• 1. There is a rule that is valid for a long time. Install the newest operating systém second to "legacy" one.

2. For Linux issue use open software tools. perhaps Grub will do the job.

3. Pehaps any "heterogeneous" forum that cover both, Linux and Windows, will give you bettet answer.

4. Look at some tools resources like EasyBCD if thet have solution for you.

HTH

Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Furthermore, please understand we don’t support other system like Linux dual boot on Windows 8.

Thank you for your understanding.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:20 AM
  • 1. We cannot ask users to reinstall their OSes to install our product.

2. We've been using Grub to this point, but Windows 8 won't launch Grub.

3. I've been looking everywhere I know; most places I look suggest something like #1. I'm not looking for a solution for *my system*. That's pretty easy: stay the heck away from Windows 8. I'm looking for a solution for thousands of users of our product.

4. EasyBCD has the same problem.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:06 PM
  • So is it the intention of Microsoft to disallowing other OSes from booting? I understand there security reasons to restrict this; that's why I'm looking for some Microsoft-endorsed/-prescribed method of doing this. Is there a signature to buy?

Is there no longer a way to boot to another OS (not just Linux) from Windows 8?

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:11 PM