Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for Windows 7 Ultimate

• I downloaded Windows 8 Pro 32 bit from Technet. I tried doing an upgrade to my laptop that was running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit edition. When the upgrade started, I was not given the option to save my applications and settings but only my personal information. I tried doing the upgrade multiple times and had the same result. Finally, went ahead and agreed to just save my personal information. After doing the upgrade, the laptop re-booted a number of times and then I finally got an upgrade failure message. The message went on to say that it was going to revert back to my original Windows 7 Ulimate.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas? Please help.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:55 PM

All replies

• Well, in my case my laptop was Windows 7 Ultimate installed and I tried to upgrade to Windows 8 Enterprise. At the beginning I choose to keep files/programs/settings, but then I noticed that wasn't possible, since Windows 7 Ultimate is not elegible for upgrade to Windows 8 Enterprise.

Without any other option, I choose for a new instalation...30m later Windows 8 Enterprise was installed with sucess.

Instead of upgrade, have you consider to make a new instalation with Windows 8? Probably is the solution to your problem.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

When you revert back to Windows 7, please upload the logs in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log to Skydrive and post the link here.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 03, 2012 6:10 AM
  • If somebody can make heads or tails out of why mine quits just as it says its time to reboot, I would appreciate it

I hate spending money on crap that doesnt work, especially when its nearly impossible to get a refund for it

• Edited by tadbanyon Friday, October 26, 2012 8:13 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 6:42 PM
  • I have the same issue. After installation it says that migrate settings failed and reverts back to Windows 7. Here is my setupact.log.

Anything that doesnt have a self limiting factor is of the devil.

Friday, October 26, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Got the same upgrade failure message. I have tried to narrow down the problem without success like disabling audio card, lan, etc. . Please find my attached setupact.log.

I am stuck, and not able to proceed with Windows 8 upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate

Called Microsoft in Norway, they could not help much either :-(

help would be appraciated

Friday, October 26, 2012 8:53 PM
  • I'm getting the same error. Just as it says its going to reboot after doing the install, it tells me Setup Failed.

setupacct log

No Rollback log

Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:31 PM