none
Insufficient access to uninstall programs

Question

• I recently installed Microsoft Office XP on my laptop (that runs Vista) and just a while ago I tried removing a program but I got a message saying

"You do not have sufficient access to uninstall x. Please contact your system administrator."
     The box is titled Installed Updates, so I assumed it was an update relating to the office installation. Anyways, I am using an admin account so I have no idea how to fix this. I tried uninstalling the updates but it would not allow me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:53 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Lance, let's try the following steps to reset security settings back to the defaults and check the result:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

You receive a "Task is completed" message, and a warning message that something could not be done. You can safely ignore this message. For more information about this message, view the %windir%\Security\Logs\Scesrv.log file.

Note: In Windows Vista, the defltbase.inf file is a Security configuration template for the default security. You can view the settings for this file in the following location:

%windir%\inf\defltbase.inf

Then, let's check if the program can be removed.

For detail information, you can check the following KB article:

How to reset security settings back to the defaults

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:55 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Lance, could you let me know the name of the update that you wanted to uninstall? Most likely, we do not suggest uninstalling update from the system as it can fix potential security related issues.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:44 AM
  • The thing is, I think one of the updates is preventing me from using the add/remove progams feature.

I'm pretty sure one of the problem updates was caused by installing Microsoft Office XP, as pre-installation, I had no problems removing programs.

One thing of note is that every time I try to uninstall something, I get this:

I then get a message saying I don't have sufficient access.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:25 AM
  •  

Hi Lance, let's try the following steps to reset security settings back to the defaults and check the result:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

You receive a "Task is completed" message, and a warning message that something could not be done. You can safely ignore this message. For more information about this message, view the %windir%\Security\Logs\Scesrv.log file.

Note: In Windows Vista, the defltbase.inf file is a Security configuration template for the default security. You can view the settings for this file in the following location:

%windir%\inf\defltbase.inf

Then, let's check if the program can be removed.

For detail information, you can check the following KB article:

How to reset security settings back to the defaults

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:55 AM