none
Deleting Domain Controller from AD

Question

• I was trying to add a virtual server running server 2008 as a 3rd domain controller.  I assigned the virtual server 2 hard drives, and when promoting it to a domain controller(DNS and Global Catalogue) I put the database on C:\WINDOWS\NTDS and the logs pn E:\WINDOWS\NTDS and the other thing in E:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL .

When the server rebooted it Server 2008 would not load, it would continuously crash.  It would not boot from disk to try and fix the error, so I just replaced the VHD with a backup of one before I promoted it.  Now I am trying to delete the old VHD DC from Active Directory to try again, but it will not let me.

I select "This Domain Controller is permanantly offline and can no longer be demoted using" [...]"(dcpromo)." and hit Delete and it gives me this error.

Windows cannot delete object LDAP://<servername>.<domain>.net/CN=<servername>,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=<domain>,DC=net because:  The specified module could not be found.

I then followed the directions in this tutorial
    http://www.petri.co.il/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

I got to "list servers in site" and instead of giving me the list of my 3 domain controllers as I expected it listed "0 - (null)"  instead.

Now im afraid I have bigger problems than just trying to delete a failed DC.  First off, should I be concered about this "0 - (null)" servers?  how can I fix that?  Second, how do I delete the failed 3rd DC, or can I just run DCPromo again with the same server name and not encounter a problem?

Thanks,
    James Rollo
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:19 PM

Answers

• Heh, Thanks.   I was trying to do it from my workstation.   I thought I could do it since I was "connecting" to the domain server, but I guess not.

Failed DC deleted successfully.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:42 PM

All replies

• James,

where did you run ntdsutil from? Have you run that from one of the living DCs?

cheers,

Florian
    Microsoft MVP - Group Policy -- blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog
    • Proposed as answer by DEMPC Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:46 PM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Heh, Thanks.   I was trying to do it from my workstation.   I thought I could do it since I was "connecting" to the domain server, but I guess not.

Failed DC deleted successfully.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:42 PM
  • truly bad idea because my live DCs are all on server core. Now how do i delete a DC ?
    Shahid Roofi
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:55 PM
  • truly bad idea because my live DCs are all on server core. Now how do i delete a DC ?
    Shahid Roofi

Hello,

this thread is from 2008 and marked as answered, please create your own and include all details what happened, the used OS versions etc. and your problem.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:01 PM