none
Upgrade from Vista failed at 72% and now, after rebooting, stuck in an endless loop with the same error message, and can't even rollback!

Question

• My laptop is a Dell Vostro 1700 (this link gives the spec: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=anavml&servicetag=fzkgd3j&~tab=2)

It was running Vista SP2 with all latest patches applied.  I'd run the Upgrade Advisor and, as advised, removed Kaspersky Internet Suite 2009, Microsoft Mobile Centre 6.1 (I think that's what it was called), and a Dell modem program.  I restarted to complete the A/V uninstall.

I downloaded the ISO image and used Roxio to burn to DVD.

Install got stuck at last stage ("Transferring files, settings etc") at 72%, so I left it overnight, but still no joy.  So I restarted...

If I select the Windows 7 option it gets to "Setup is starting services" then I get the error message:

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

I click OK, it says "Setup will continue after restarting your computer", but then after restarting, I end up with the same error message.

If, after restarting, I select the "Windows Setup Rollback" option it gets as far as the pretty blue screen with the white bird, then restarts the laptop and I'm back at the menu to select either "Windows 7 or "Windows Setup Rollback".

I haven't yet tried any of the Advanced Boot Options (F8).

So, in summary, I'm stuck with a machine that wont get into Windows 7 and wont rollback to Vista!

Thanks for any advice,

Barry
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• I am having this same EXACT issue.  Has anyone out there got a solution?  The posted solution that suggests going into the F8 menu and selecting "Vista" as the operating system does not work because ONLY Windows 7 appears on the screen.

Thanks,
    Randy
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Hi, Have you tried booting to the Vista install disc to use repair boot menu. Slan go foill, Paul
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Exact same issue here.  Of course I trusted that this upgrade would go smoothly and failed to backup before hand.  Stupid.

Going to try my recovery disks now and see what happens.  It's a Compaq Presario notebook and of course did not come with an actual Vista DVD.

Will report back after I try this.

Ben
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:25 PM
  • OK, that only gave me an option to restore to the original state of the computer, which I'd rather not do.  I can't even get to a command prompt.  All I can do is see two boot options, one for 7, which doesn't work, and one for the rollback, which doesn't work.  Eeek.  This is not a widespread problem apparently, seeing as there aren't a million forum posts about it, but it's crippling those of us who it's affecting.  Help us MS!

Ben
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Same here, endless loop of error messages, hang ups, reboots to more errors. My next computer is certainly a MAC.

Clark
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:23 AM
  • My Vista Business upgrade to Windows 7 went the same way.....SOUTH.  I did the upgrade advisor, resolved all issues, downloaded the image file of the DVD from Microsoft, burned the DVD very carefully..slow speed, verified it and all. All seemed OK until about 3/4 of the way through and after one of the system reboots all I got was a black screen with a big white mouse icon.  The hard drive activity dropped to a steady blip every second or so but wasn't doing anything significant. Next morning nothing changed, still at the same place so I rebooted and got the startup screen with two choices, Rollback or Windows 7...neither worked and produced exactly the same result.  Partial boot up and a message to Restart the computer.

By the way, I also installed a Windows 7 virtual PC on my MacBook Pro using VMWare.  It worked perfectly.  Go figure.
    • Proposed as answer by CQAndrews Friday, October 30, 2009 1:44 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Hi, Try again, make sure you have backed up important data first.

Before you do disable Antivirus software or unistall it. 

Remove Google Desktop manager
    Remove iTunes
    Remove Logitech Remote Control Manager

Might also be a good idea to do a Disk Clean up and defrag.  

Also remove any usb devices and UPS if you have one.

Slan go foill, Paul
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Trying not to be a jerk, but I hope you're kidding, Paul.  What part of stuck in an "endless loop" wasn't clear?  There's no "try again" when you can't get back to where you started.

Since the time of my last post I reformatted the hard drive, and after much effort and many more failures due to a bad download ISO from Digital River, managed to get Win7 up and running. 

Good luck to those who are still stuck.

Ben
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Hi Dabenny,

Sorry,

I was replying to CQandrews, I know a lot of people have had problems.

But please remember I don't work for Microsoft.

I am here to help where I can in the way the linux community does for free. 

Slan go foill, Paul
    • Proposed as answer by CQAndrews Friday, October 30, 2009 1:44 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Paul,

Sorry I responded so rudely.  You didn't deserve that at all.  On the other hand, it seems to me that people posting in this thread are all stuck in the same loop, so I still don't understand how your suggestion was relevant.  Sounds like it's what MS should be telling people before they start, however.  :)

Ben
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:41 PM
  • hi ppl...

i have a desktop built by me and i have the EXACTLY same issue in windows 7. Afetr update... KAPUT!!
    My specs are: motherboard asus P5KR, intel core2 duoE6750, 4GB DDR2 with a evga 8800GTS and im running (dual boot XP + Win_7)

already tried to rollback with system restore but NO sucess

anyone find how to resolve this?

gonna try now with the windows 7 DVD tools. If i solve i put here th solution...

pray 4 me...

;)

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:52 PM
  • ok...

solved my problem...

like you guys my pc after the update went crazy... im running win_7 like i told you before. a thing that i didnt say before is that i use kaspersky AV also...

Well i solved my problem like this, hope work 4 all of you to.

1- after the boot, with the failed message of the update, i disabled kaspersky for 1hour and after i closed the program
    2 - boot and with the win_7 dvd tools i first run a tool that the log was 0errors so didnt do anything.. tried again the system restore, to a date before the update.
    3 - after this last boot i went to windows update and removed the auto function of the updates so i can chose what to install to prevent this last update again
    4 - shutdown just to try
    5 - boot again and is everything ok again... im not going to install this last update untill MS see what hwppend...

so... try it out... hope work 4 u guys to...

asta ppl
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:35 PM
  • Having the same problem!!!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:34 AM
  • How do you disable kaspersky?  I'm not sure what that is.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:14 AM
  • Hi Susan, Kaspersky is an Anti-Virus program, 

Hi All, Please do this also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en

Check computer with http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

Then try and reinstall W7 ,

Before you do disable Antivirus software or unistall it. 

Remove Google Desktop manager
    Remove iTunes
    Remove Logitech Remote Control Manager

Might also be a good idea to do a Disk Clean up and defrag.  

Also remove any usb devices and UPS if you have one.

Slan go foill, Paul 
    • Edited by artiste1 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:35 AM added links
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:22 AM
  • yes... Kaspersky is a antivirus...

how to disable:

near the clock (down/right corner) you should have several icons... if you put your mouse over it you will see the names os the softwares that you are running...

in my case, i use the Kaspersky Antivirus and to disable you can disable it in 2 diferent ways (this was what i did...)

1- right click in top of the kaspersky icon and select the option that says: PAUSE PROTECTION
    2 - It will appear a message that you cãn choose how mutch time that the software is gonna be disabled. I have selected: PAUSE FOR THE NEXT 5m
    3 - after this I also have selected to turn it of and to do this jsut do the same: right click, but now you choose the option: EXIT
    4 - Reboot

Hope i helped...

If you dont use Kaspersky antivirus, and use any other software you can do also something like this almost for sure following this steps for your antivirus.

they are very semeliar in this options...

well, hope i helped...

PS: My PC stays fine.. but im updating it now manually...
     AH.. and i also have "disabled" that update...

Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Thanks to all for your replies.  Dabenny is right though, my system was unrecoverable in it's state at the time.  I tried rolling back with the Vista DVD and the Windows 7 DVD and just couldn't get it back to a bootable OS condition.  I folllowed Microsoft's upgrade advisor and, on my own, uninstalled the AV software (Microsoft didn't start talking about that until it was too late for some folks) before venturing forward.  To give you a perspective on my experience, I run the tech department in a public school with around 1500 windows and mac laptops and desktops.  I have been around the block with building and maintaining systems of every variety.  I've been in the game since the first MAC was introduced in 1986.  This stuff isn't new.  What I mean by that is Microsoft has never wavered from introducing a new OS on the public without solving upgrade issues.  I am not a bit surprised.  Don't get me wrong though, Microsoft makes some pretty darn good products....their server platforms are very good and once the bugs get worked out of Windows 7 I believe it will be pretty good too, at least it looks that way now.  Microsoft has made a habit of stumbling out the starter blocks and then catching up later in the race.
    So back to the upgrade problem...I decided to ditch the upgrade and did a format and fresh install.  This method never fails for someone who has the skill to do it.  But what about all those people who are average Joe's and Jane's who bought their computers from Best Buy and WalMart?  They are screwed my friends....just screwed.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 2:00 PM
  • I am trying to install 64 bit Windows 8 upgrade from Widnows 7 64 bit ultimate;. I have been trying everything to get past the 72% failure.  I stumbled across a few things.

1. People using some HP computers ahd the same problem.  HP told them to update their NVIDIA drivers.  My computer has a Geforce GT 520 video card.  I updated the drivers and got to the 100% mark but it still won't install.

2. I had to disable booting from a CD/DVD because it tried to restart the whole isntallation process.

I am going to try disconencting all external devices not needed by the computer.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Hi Sueprspd8,

I would suggest you re-post your problem in this link below as you will get more replys.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w8itproinstall/threads

I have only recently started to work with Win 8.

I am in learning mode hence my suggestion. 

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul

• Edited by artiste1 Monday, November 05, 2012 1:11 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:58 PM