none
How to find out more of what I am about to launch? RRS feed

• Question

• I pressed the Windows Key, typed in "start up", hoping to find the Start Up folder on the legacy Start Menu.  The search results returned a button (under the Apps category) with text "start up" and an icon with a gear.  I don't know whether this is an executable, a Metro App, a folder, or a malware, or something else.   I right click that button hoping to see Properties to find out more about this item.  However I see only Open a new window or Run as Administrator.

How do I find out more of an item in the Start screen search result.

Thanks.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:26 PM

Answers

• There is no space in StartUp. And it is not indexed. X
    Thanks.  Yes, I realized about the space.  But my question was more on the general situation of how to find out more about an item on the search result.  I feel uncomfortable not being able to know or find out more about what the something is that I am about to click.

Hi

The options that are returned in the search results, depend on the type of search you are performing.

The results will be different, depending on whether you have Apps, Settings, or Files selected.

You will not get the 'Open file location' if the item is a 'Setting' (Gear Icon) because these are items that run at the system level and may use many files. If you hover the mouse over a Settings result, you should see an Informatio Popup that shows a description, such as the location in Control Panel.

You will also not get this option if the result is a Store App, because these are also composed of many files held in a Container.

You will get the 'Open file location' if the result is an individual file.

Regards

Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:23 PM

All replies

• “hoping to find the Start Up folder on the legacy Start Menu”
    This is where the Startup folder is:
    C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start
    Menu\Programs\Startup

Don

Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:12 PM
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:19 PM
  • “hoping to find the Start Up folder on the legacy Start Menu”
    This is where the Startup folder is:
    C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start
    Menu\Programs\Startup

Don

Thanks, but that is not entirely correct.  I think there are at least two StartUp folders: $ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp, and $AppData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp.
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:27 PM
    Thanks.  Yes, I realized about the space.  But my question was more on the general situation of how to find out more about an item on the search result.  I feel uncomfortable not being able to know or find out more about what the something is that I am about to click.
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:30 PM
  • For most items you fond, you should be able to right click the item and choose "open file location"  Not sure why it's not here in this case.
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:50 PM

Hi

The options that are returned in the search results, depend on the type of search you are performing.

The results will be different, depending on whether you have Apps, Settings, or Files selected.

You will not get the 'Open file location' if the item is a 'Setting' (Gear Icon) because these are items that run at the system level and may use many files. If you hover the mouse over a Settings result, you should see an Informatio Popup that shows a description, such as the location in Control Panel.

You will also not get this option if the result is a Store App, because these are also composed of many files held in a Container.

You will get the 'Open file location' if the result is an individual file.

Regards

Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:23 PM