none
Windows vista service pack 1 keeps installing

Question

• My computer crashed, so had hard drive reformated and re-loading Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Doing all the updates via Windows Update, I get to Service Pack 1. It installs successfully, but won't move onto Service pack 2. I have like 10 supposed successful installations of Service Pack 1. I even downloaded SP2 and of course it won't install because it says I have to install SP1 first. Read documentation, searched forums and didn't find an answer to this problem. I even downloaded "Mr Fixit" and this didn't help.

I'm somewhat technical, but not a pro. Can's figure this out. Can someone help or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Monday, October 22, 2012 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hey - I found a solution on Technet.

Forum won't let me insert a link here, but it's from moderator Magon Liu posted November 1st 2011, in reply to a query from Betts83 posted October 21st 2011.

I am just trying it now, lengthy download. Hope it works.

Good luck all.

• Marked as answer by nellie278 Monday, November 05, 2012 5:42 PM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 11:49 PM

All replies

• I am With you having the same problem too :o( neet hel with this one...
    • Proposed as answer by bullswinger Friday, May 31, 2013 6:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by bullswinger Friday, May 31, 2013 6:36 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Hi,  I have the same issue. I have successfully installed Vista Service Pk1 about 10 times. Everytime I go to update, there it is again to update even though the history file shows previous successful implementation. I have downloaded Service Pk 2 and all other available updates hoping something would fix this. I hope someone can help on this... Service Pk 1 has been around for a long time - I would have thought all of these issues were past history.
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:18 AM
  • I decided to uninstall Vista Service Pack 1 and reinstall when I noticed something interesting. I went to: Windows Update > View update history > Installed updates (to remove an update), and looked for Service pack 1 (KB936330) - and it's not listed. Even though when I view installed updates (previous screen), it says it has successfully installed ... hmm. Had the thought that since I haven't loaded all the stuff back on my computer since it crashed, I could reformat, re-load vista, and see if it successfully installs. Thoughts?

• Proposed as answer by Émi Wednesday, July 02, 2014 11:08 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 3:32 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue. and would love to know how to resolve it!
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Oh golly ! I am glad to see I am not the only one ! I was so worried I had a virus or something... But sorry for you all naturally ! 

I had to reinstall Vista HP 32 a couple of days ago, and I am having exactly the same problem. I received 107 updates ok, then SP1. I too installed SP1 several times, and though it was much too fast it claimed Successful, then after a while the entry disappeared, but before it does SP1 is back, waiting to be installed, again.

Because I can't move on to SP2, I cannot install IE9 :-( I fear that as time goes on, more and more things will be incompatible.

Please, is there anyone here who can help ? 

• Edited by mindravenous Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:48 PM
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Hey - I found a solution on Technet.

Forum won't let me insert a link here, but it's from moderator Magon Liu posted November 1st 2011, in reply to a query from Betts83 posted October 21st 2011.

I am just trying it now, lengthy download. Hope it works.

Good luck all.

• Marked as answer by nellie278 Monday, November 05, 2012 5:42 PM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Thank you mindravenous! This was very successful for me. I followed the steps carefully and now am a very happy camper.

I went to the technet website > forums - and did a search on "Betts83" (no quotes) and her October 21st post was the first one that came up.

Thank you so much again - yea!
    Monday, November 05, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Oh it worked BEAUTIFULLY !

After much time wasting and stress I have now managed to get past SP1 :-)

Thoroughly recommend you give it a try.

All thanks to the wondrous Magon Liu !

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:54 AM
  • Hi nellie278  

I'm so glad it worked for you too !

You are very welcome :-)

Thanks for saying, and for the details.

Isn't it a big relief - pheww !

I think Betts83 is called Adam lol !

Wonder why I can't post links on the forum... (rhetorical)

• Proposed as answer by rbook49 Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by rbook49 Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:46 AM
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Having the same issue now.  Had to wipe my hard drive and start with a clean slate, reinstalled Vista HP and now trying to put back everything.  Same symptoms:

• Windows Update downloads Vista SP1.
    • See message that SP1 has been installed.
    • New updates will show Vista SP1 again.

I'm currently waiting for my SP1 standalone download to finish as I am about to be on my 10th SP1 update until I saw this.  I'll try the steps and see how it goes.  If it worked for the others, I hope it does for me, too!

UPDATE:

It worked wonderfully! :)  So glad I came across this thread or else I would still have been troubleshooting.

• Edited by KitKat15 Friday, November 09, 2012 8:35 AM Updated.
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:20 PM
  • why does't service pack 1 move to service pack 2.  I have so many service pack 1, idon't know what to do with all if them. Should I resart my computer to when i got it to get it to move on to service pack 2?
    Monday, December 03, 2012 3:44 PM
  • I have spent hours on this issue and just found this forum. 

I can't find a post from Betts83 dated 11-1-2011

Can someone PLEASE give me a clue on how to find the post?

Thanks.  This issue is getting the best of me.

I guess I didn't realize that resetting my PC to factory settings was going to be this hard.  :(

Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Hi Renopat
    see if this link works

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasp/thread/4120f8ff-ae6c-437f-a40d-8d48794d9841

• Proposed as answer by craigybbz89 Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:35 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Hi Renopat
    see if this link works

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasp/thread/4120f8ff-ae6c-437f-a40d-8d48794d9841

It worked for me - and solved the problem. Thanks, Renopat for posting the link and mindravenous for the info!

Sally

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Hi Renopat
    see if this link works

It worked for me - and solved the problem. Thanks, Renopat for posting the link and mindravenous for the info!

Sally

I did the sfc /sannow at command prompt as indicated and checked the log. It did fix some files but i still had the same problem where SP1 was trying to re-installing. I then decided to dowload the SP1 directly from microsoft web site instead of trying to install it again from the Windows update screen. I installed it manually and it worked for me.

This has happened to me twice on two separate PC, and it worked both times.

Cheers!

• Proposed as answer by sleb112 Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:41 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Great info, worked for me! much appreciated.
    Sunday, October 06, 2013 2:29 AM
  • I have the same issue,I have tried may times to resolve this.sp1 keeps coming up .my windows store files are bad, it says , no fix.Now IE keeps restarting.grr

Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:04 PM
  • I cant find the link! Please help! I don't know what to do?

Saturday, May 31, 2014 7:39 PM
  • Maybe im just stupid... But NOTHING that anyone has posted here has helped me at all :P Could someone please explain to me what i need to do to install service pack 1 and 2... I could find someone named Betts83 on the forums that someone said i should go to and read some posts i found 3 posts.... One that was this exact thread, one that was posted 1st of November and another one wich was posted in 2012... The one from 1st of November didn't help me... And it was the one people said i was suppose to go to to get help, but it still didn't to anything. Im starting to get impatient because i want to install Assassin's Creed 3, but it requires service pack 2 or higher to run! Maybe because this thread is so old i probably wont get an answer but if someone would help me fix it it would be much appreciated.
    Wednesday, August 06, 2014 9:20 PM
  • Search for Kb936330, the "Windows Vista ServicePack 1 All Languages".

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:08 PM