none
Windows vista service pack 1 keeps installing

Question

• My computer crashed, so had hard drive reformated and re-loading Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Doing all the updates via Windows Update, I get to Service Pack 1. It installs successfully, but won't move onto Service pack 2. I have like 10 supposed successful installations of Service Pack 1. I even downloaded SP2 and of course it won't install because it says I have to install SP1 first. Read documentation, searched forums and didn't find an answer to this problem. I even downloaded "Mr Fixit" and this didn't help.

I'm somewhat technical, but not a pro. Can's figure this out. Can someone help or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Monday, October 22, 2012 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hey - I found a solution on Technet.

Forum won't let me insert a link here, but it's from moderator Magon Liu posted November 1st 2011, in reply to a query from Betts83 posted October 21st 2011.

I am just trying it now, lengthy download. Hope it works.

Good luck all.

• Marked as answer by nellie278 Monday, November 05, 2012 5:42 PM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 11:49 PM

All replies

• I am With you having the same problem too :o( neet hel with this one...
    • Proposed as answer by bullswinger Friday, May 31, 2013 6:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by bullswinger Friday, May 31, 2013 6:36 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Hi,  I have the same issue. I have successfully installed Vista Service Pk1 about 10 times. Everytime I go to update, there it is again to update even though the history file shows previous successful implementation. I have downloaded Service Pk 2 and all other available updates hoping something would fix this. I hope someone can help on this... Service Pk 1 has been around for a long time - I would have thought all of these issues were past history.
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:18 AM
  • I decided to uninstall Vista Service Pack 1 and reinstall when I noticed something interesting. I went to: Windows Update > View update history > Installed updates (to remove an update), and looked for Service pack 1 (KB936330) - and it's not listed. Even though when I view installed updates (previous screen), it says it has successfully installed ... hmm. Had the thought that since I haven't loaded all the stuff back on my computer since it crashed, I could reformat, re-load vista, and see if it successfully installs. Thoughts?

Monday, October 29, 2012 3:32 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue. and would love to know how to resolve it!
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Oh golly ! I am glad to see I am not the only one ! I was so worried I had a virus or something... But sorry for you all naturally ! 

I had to reinstall Vista HP 32 a couple of days ago, and I am having exactly the same problem. I received 107 updates ok, then SP1. I too installed SP1 several times, and though it was much too fast it claimed Successful, then after a while the entry disappeared, but before it does SP1 is back, waiting to be installed, again.

Because I can't move on to SP2, I cannot install IE9 :-( I fear that as time goes on, more and more things will be incompatible.

Please, is there anyone here who can help ? 

• Edited by mindravenous Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:48 PM
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Hey - I found a solution on Technet.

Forum won't let me insert a link here, but it's from moderator Magon Liu posted November 1st 2011, in reply to a query from Betts83 posted October 21st 2011.

I am just trying it now, lengthy download. Hope it works.

Good luck all.

• Marked as answer by nellie278 Monday, November 05, 2012 5:42 PM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Thank you mindravenous! This was very successful for me. I followed the steps carefully and now am a very happy camper.

I went to the technet website > forums - and did a search on "Betts83" (no quotes) and her October 21st post was the first one that came up.

Thank you so much again - yea!
    Monday, November 05, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Oh it worked BEAUTIFULLY !

After much time wasting and stress I have now managed to get past SP1 :-)

Thoroughly recommend you give it a try.

All thanks to the wondrous Magon Liu !

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:54 AM
  • Hi nellie278  

I'm so glad it worked for you too !

You are very welcome :-)

Thanks for saying, and for the details.

Isn't it a big relief - pheww !

I think Betts83 is called Adam lol !

Wonder why I can't post links on the forum... (rhetorical)

• Proposed as answer by rbook49 Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by rbook49 Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:46 AM
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Having the same issue now.  Had to wipe my hard drive and start with a clean slate, reinstalled Vista HP and now trying to put back everything.  Same symptoms:

• Windows Update downloads Vista SP1.
    • See message that SP1 has been installed.
    • New updates will show Vista SP1 again.

I'm currently waiting for my SP1 standalone download to finish as I am about to be on my 10th SP1 update until I saw this.  I'll try the steps and see how it goes.  If it worked for the others, I hope it does for me, too!

UPDATE:

It worked wonderfully! :)  So glad I came across this thread or else I would still have been troubleshooting.

• Edited by KitKat15 Friday, November 09, 2012 8:35 AM Updated.
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:20 PM
  • why does't service pack 1 move to service pack 2.  I have so many service pack 1, idon't know what to do with all if them. Should I resart my computer to when i got it to get it to move on to service pack 2?
    Monday, December 03, 2012 3:44 PM
  • I have spent hours on this issue and just found this forum. 

I can't find a post from Betts83 dated 11-1-2011

Can someone PLEASE give me a clue on how to find the post?

Thanks.  This issue is getting the best of me.

I guess I didn't realize that resetting my PC to factory settings was going to be this hard.  :(

Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Hi Renopat
    see if this link works

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasp/thread/4120f8ff-ae6c-437f-a40d-8d48794d9841

• Proposed as answer by craigybbz89 Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:35 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Hi Renopat
    see if this link works

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasp/thread/4120f8ff-ae6c-437f-a40d-8d48794d9841

It worked for me - and solved the problem. Thanks, Renopat for posting the link and mindravenous for the info!

Sally

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Hi Renopat
    see if this link works

It worked for me - and solved the problem. Thanks, Renopat for posting the link and mindravenous for the info!

Sally

I did the sfc /sannow at command prompt as indicated and checked the log. It did fix some files but i still had the same problem where SP1 was trying to re-installing. I then decided to dowload the SP1 directly from microsoft web site instead of trying to install it again from the Windows update screen. I installed it manually and it worked for me.

This has happened to me twice on two separate PC, and it worked both times.

Cheers!

• Proposed as answer by sleb112 Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:41 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Great info, worked for me! much appreciated.
    Sunday, October 06, 2013 2:29 AM
  • I have the same issue,I have tried may times to resolve this.sp1 keeps coming up .my windows store files are bad, it says , no fix.Now IE keeps restarting.grr

Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:04 PM