none
Change my Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 8.1 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I currently have windows 8.1 enterprise, and would like to downgrade it to Windows 8.1 Pro.

I read this can be done by the below 7 steps. Is this correct? Or how can this be done (without loosing all installed apps etc)

Thanks James.

1) Open registry editor (run regedit.exe) and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows NT->then click on Current version
    2) Double click on Product name and change to Windows 8 Professional
    3) Double click EditionID and change to Professional
    4) Now navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->WOW6432Node-> Microsoft ->Windows NT-> then click on current version
    5) Do the same as what you did in steps 2 and 3
    6) Close regedit (You don't have to restart your computer).
    7) Close and insert Windows 8 pro CD and install

AJ Anning

Sunday, June 7, 2015 7:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have to say that it is not supported by Microsoft downgrading from Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 8.1 Pro.

If you are trying to do that with above method, please backup your Windows first.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 8, 2015 2:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have to say that it is not supported by Microsoft downgrading from Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 8.1 Pro.

If you are trying to do that with above method, please backup your Windows first.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 8, 2015 2:56 AM
  • Hi,

Regards,

Ok, but is this possible to do ?

James

AJ Anning

Monday, June 8, 2015 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

I haven't ever done this, it seems like you have read the below link, someone did this before:

http://superuser.com/questions/479292/downgrading-windows-8-from-enterprise-to-pro

Regards,

Yan Li

Monday, June 8, 2015 5:13 AM
  • Hi,
    I tried this but it doesnt work for me; i have the error message "impossible to install windows" with the error code 0x101 - 0x20017.
    I try to downgrade from windows 8.1 enterprise to windows 8.1 pro. 
    So you know how should I proceed? thanks
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 7:19 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding to system edition downgrading,  it is not recommended or supported by Microsoft, we’d suggest that performing a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

Create installation media for Windows 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 31, 2015 3:13 AM
  • Thanks for replying me.

I have already read previous similar questions and replies. Yan Li says Microsoft may not support downgrade from Windows 8.1 enterprise to pro. 

Can anybody kindly tell me how to complete delete Windows 8.1 enterprise and install windows 8.1 pro?

This is my first time to learn how to install windows. I bought windows 8.1 enterprise from ebay by mistake. After installed it I found out the seller won't provide production key and I have to return it. That is why I  have windows 8.1 enterprise in my computer but the computer shows windows 8.1 enterprise will expire in 30 days. I re-purchased windows 8.1 pro with product key. But I am not able to install it by using F keys.  If I can not downgrade windows 8.1 enterprise to pro, I think the best way is delete the old one and install the new one but I don't know how to do it. 

Thanks in advance!

Friday, January 18, 2019 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

I have already follow this to create installation media on flash drive.

Follow some people suggestion, I insert the flash drive to restart computer, and tab F12 several times (also tried F1 or F11), the computer just start normally, not guide me to a installation window. I need to know how to install windows in the flash drive in detail steps. 

Friday, January 18, 2019 2:15 PM
  • Thanks!

I already tried the above method but can not continue at steps 4 because I can not find the folder wow6420 node in my computer.

By the way, I already back up my computer and create  windows 8.1 pro installation media in the flash drive.

I can not perform a clean install of windows 8.1 pro by using restart and tab F12 key. IS there any other way to install it?

Thanks again!

Friday, January 18, 2019 2:22 PM