none
Why does Windows share the "Users" directory by default?

Question

• After using the "Change Advanced Sharing Settings" wizard to share the Public folder with anyone with access to the network in the "Networking and Sharing Center", I notice that my "User" directory is now shared.

What is the purpose for this, and will it matter that I have unshared it and manually shared only the Public folder?
    I have performed this on all my networked computers. Will this cause conflict in the future for things such as HomeGroup sharing, etc?

Thanks for any input.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 10:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please understand that Public Music and Public Pictures folder are defined as the public folder. When you set Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders, these two folders have been shared. You may notice that these folders are under the current user directory. I believe this is the reason why user directory has been shared automatically. 

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:21 AM

All replies

• Can't you set the Users directory to not shared?
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Yes, this is what I have done on all of my computers, I was simply asking for the reason behind why Windows 7 would share this directory by default, instead of just the "Public" folder directly.
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Hi,

Please understand that Public Music and Public Pictures folder are defined as the public folder. When you set Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders, these two folders have been shared. You may notice that these folders are under the current user directory. I believe this is the reason why user directory has been shared automatically. 

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:21 AM