none
WSUS Administrations console - Reset Server Node

Question

• Hi, I am getting Error: Connection Error in two of the WSUS servers. Normally a couple of restarts usaully gets me the console from the server, or by connecting to the WSUS server from other WSUS Update Service consoles. But for the last two/three days I am not able to do that. I checked the Application logs in the server after a reboot of the server. After about 10 min's of a restart, the servers come up with the following Even ID.

13042: Self-update is not working.

12002: The Reporting Web Service is not working.

12012: The API Remoting Web Service is not working.

12032: The Server Synchronization Web Service is not working.

12022: The Client Web Service is not working.

12042: The SimpleAuth Web Service is not working.

12052: The DSS Authentication Web Service is not working.

12072: The WSUS content directory is not accessible.
    System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.HealthMonitoring.HmtWebServices.CheckContentDirWebAccess(EventLoggingType type, HealthEventLogger logger)

Any idea how I can go back to not having all these errors and hopefully connect to the console?

Shahidul

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:48 AM

Answers

• I wish to add a different spin on things in this thread. My Cleanup script offers an easy way of setting the Application Pool Memory (For setting to 4GB - .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -SetApplicationPoolMemory 4096), but more importantly, running the proper maintenance and scripts to take care of WSUS, preventing this problem from happening in the first place.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need!

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Add WSUS Index Optimization to the database to increase the speed of many database operations in WSUS by approximately 1000-1500 times faster.
    2. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database (Default; Optional).
    3. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining multiple types of updates including by default any superseded updates, preview updates, expired updates, Itanium updates, and beta updates. Optional extras: Language Packs, IE7, IE8, IE9, IE10, Embedded, NonEnglishUpdates, ComputerUpdates32bit, WinXP.
    4. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    5. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    6. Compress Update Revisions.
    7. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    8. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    9. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily set it to any configurable amount including 0 for unlimited. This is a manual execution only.
    10. Checks to see if you have a dirty database, and if you do, fixes it. This is primarily for Server 2012 WSUS, and is a manual execution only.
    11. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    12. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use so don't over think it. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment (email settings only if you are accepting all the defaults), simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, or run the Dirty Database Check, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

• Marked as answer by Shahidul Imon Monday, September 18, 2017 3:35 AM
    Monday, September 18, 2017 3:26 AM

All replies

• If you WSUS 3.0 SP2 with SSL, you need install a patch.

I had the same error when setting up SSL on WSUS 3.0 SP2 servers. If this is your case, it is necessary to install the kb2734608 after KB2720211

• Proposed as answer by sergio73 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:30 AM
  • But for the last two/three days I am not able to do that.

Any idea how I can go back to not having all these errors and hopefully connect to the console?

What did you change "two/three days ago"?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:31 AM
  • Nothing in particular, yes the servers did install a few .NET patches etc. All of them did. As far as these two servers are concerned, looks like running the following fixes their Console connectivity at least for 24/48 hours.

Net stop wsusservice
    IISReset /Stop
    IISReset /Start
    Net start wsusservice

I can't figure out why.

Shahidul

Friday, November 21, 2014 12:31 AM
  • Nothing in particular, yes the servers did install a few .NET patches etc. All of them did. As far as these two servers are concerned, looks like running the following fixes their Console connectivity at least for 24/48 hours.

Net stop wsusservice
    IISReset /Stop
    IISReset /Start
    Net start wsusservice

I can't figure out why.

First, I'd try disabling the SSL and see if the problem goes away.

Second, if this is a WS2008R2 server, make sure you have the correct release of MS14-066 installed. The Nov 11th release was defective, and expired. The Nov 18th release is the one that should be installed.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Monday, November 24, 2014 4:59 PM
  • We dont use SSL. The servers are both 2012 R2. I am not sure if MS14-066 was applicable to this.

Shahidul

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:41 AM
  • We dont use SSL.

Noted.

The servers are both 2012 R2. I am not sure if MS14-066 was applicable to this.

MS14-066 was applicable to every platform, but you are correct, that the repaired update was not applicable to 2012R2, only to 2012RTM.

Of course, I had none of that detail when I replied, so I had to consider all *possibilities*, rather than known probabilities.

Now that we know you're not using SSL, and running on WS2012R2, let's return to the point that you believe you "installed a few .NET patches". It would be good to go to the WUHistory on that machine and enumerate every update installed in the past few days -- particularly those related to .NET which quite possibly have affected the ASP.NET instance on the machine, which would have a high likelihood of breaking an ASP.NET application, such as WSUS.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 2:10 PM
  • Apoligies, I should have been more detailed on OS's and its versions etc. Ok, apologies again, there was no .NET patches for these 2012 R2 WSUS servers. At the moment, there is a daily script that runs to reset IIS with the commands that I posted earlier, this seems to give me the console normally.

Shahidul

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:44 AM
  • Ok, apologies again, there was no .NET patches for these 2012 R2 WSUS servers. At the moment, there is a daily script that runs to reset IIS with the commands that I posted earlier, this seems to give me the console normally.

Okay, then back to the basic question:

What Changed? on this machine, or in the environment, between the time it was last known to be working correctly and the first time it was observed not working.

This may require some investigative effort, but at this point, unless you can identify something that has changed we're just going to be throwing mud at the wall.

The fact that this is happening on *TWO* different servers is particularly noteworthy and you should keep that fact in mind as you research the question.

Also, it may be useful to determine exactly what is failing on the servers. Merely knowing that an IISRESET is a workaround keeps it running, but it doesn't provide any useful diagnostic information. WHY does an IISRESET restore functionality? What's broken inside IIS that requires an IISRESET?

Something to pay particular attention to is the behavior of the Application Pools. It may be that it's not an IISRESET you need, but just a recycled AppPool because the AppPool is crashing. Along with that, make sure that WSUS is using the correct AppPool, and that the AppPool is configured correctly. Checking against the working servers would likely be useful here.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Same issue here.

W2012R2, WID db, reset server node very often and the only way to go out of this issue is reset IIS :-(

Any hint to solve this problem? thank you in advance, Loris

• Proposed as answer by Ghasem Shams Wednesday, March 7, 2018 12:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ghasem Shams Wednesday, March 7, 2018 12:57 PM
    Friday, April 10, 2015 10:45 AM
  • Was there any resolution to this issue? I have the exact same problem. I even rebuild the VM and reinstalled everything, however the problem came back.
    Monday, May 23, 2016 7:35 PM
  • I get this issue also.

I have given my server 2 TB of disk space and 16gb of ram and 8 processor cores.  I know resources are not an issue because task manager shows 13% cpu usage and only 5.4gb/16gb ram usage when these crashes occur.

They occur 100% of the time on the new server when trying to look at any of the "All updates" "critical updates" "security updates" and setting the list to filter for unapproved.

I suspect what is happening is because this is a new server and we have many product classifications, and have over 60000 items waiting to be approved, the server crashes because loading 60000 items is causing something to fail.

It must be an internal failure though, because like I said, our system ram is still less than 50%.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 10:38 PM
  • I have the exact same problem with a similar setup... a WSUS server running on 2012 R2 in a VM. Using WID, and the VM has 6 cores and 8 GB of RAM. I have tried upping the connection timeout settings on the WSUS IIS Admin pool and everything... nothing works..
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 12:28 AM
  • After a call with Microsoft tech support it was determined that the default Memory limit on the IIS app pool is set to ~1.8gb.

By setting that limit to 0, you make it unlimited, and the app poool should no longer crash from out of memory errors when viewing or approving more than 500 updates.

• Proposed as answer by WX888 Friday, September 8, 2017 3:53 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 12:42 AM
  • Hi Nathan,

Under the tab CPU in the app pool default all of the apps are running and limits are set to 0 automatically. Is this the correct place to change values, cuz it seems to be the only limit i found.

I'm still struggling with this issue and have tried serveral options.

Greetings,

Jurgen

• Edited by Jurgen25 Monday, September 26, 2016 7:03 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 7:02 AM
  • It is in IIS ADMIN CONSOLE > [server] > APPLICATION POOLS > WSUS POOL > RECYCLING... (in the ACTION PANE) .

This did not solve my issue, but I built a guide explaining how to fix the most common problems in WSUS and included a screen shot of this 'fix'

http://www.urtech.ca/2016/10/ultimate-guide-fixing-windows-server-update-services-wsus/

I truly hope this helps you.  I just got sick of trying to track down the same fixes for the same problems with different customers WSUS servers and so I wrote up all 5 fixes I often use.  Note that it sounds like http://www.urtech.ca/2016/10/solved-how-to-force-a-clean-up-of-wsus-and-resolve-server-node-reset-using-powershell/ might solve your issue... it just solved my most recent WSUS crisis.

I truly hope this helps you :)

Ian Matthews www.urtech.ca www.commodore.ca

Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:44 PM
  • this got it going for me.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:09 PM
  • I wish to add a different spin on things in this thread. My Cleanup script offers an easy way of setting the Application Pool Memory (For setting to 4GB - .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -SetApplicationPoolMemory 4096), but more importantly, running the proper maintenance and scripts to take care of WSUS, preventing this problem from happening in the first place.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need!

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Add WSUS Index Optimization to the database to increase the speed of many database operations in WSUS by approximately 1000-1500 times faster.
    2. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database (Default; Optional).
    3. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining multiple types of updates including by default any superseded updates, preview updates, expired updates, Itanium updates, and beta updates. Optional extras: Language Packs, IE7, IE8, IE9, IE10, Embedded, NonEnglishUpdates, ComputerUpdates32bit, WinXP.
    4. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    5. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    6. Compress Update Revisions.
    7. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    8. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    9. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily set it to any configurable amount including 0 for unlimited. This is a manual execution only.
    10. Checks to see if you have a dirty database, and if you do, fixes it. This is primarily for Server 2012 WSUS, and is a manual execution only.
    11. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    12. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use so don't over think it. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment (email settings only if you are accepting all the defaults), simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, or run the Dirty Database Check, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

• Marked as answer by Shahidul Imon Monday, September 18, 2017 3:35 AM
    Monday, September 18, 2017 3:26 AM
  • Adam, your script was the best script I have seen so far. Due to nature of our environment, we have had the need for a multiple layer of WSUS servers. It broke and then we went solo on each and every WSUS server, it was a nightmare. Since I got your script, I am in the process of streaming each of the WSUS downstream servers down and then hope to join them back again.

I see you have version 3.1 now, I will try this today on one of my upstream server as it seems to not finish the -FirstRun. Its been a few weeks already, occasionally I am having to run over and over again. I did not realize before but it has for the last 10 run stuck at

Msg 1205, Level 13, State 56, Server SERVERNAME\MICROSOFT##WID, Procedure spDeleteRevision, Line 367
    Transaction (Process ID 75) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

Hence, its not finishing Remove Obsolete Updates, however it still progresses into the next lot of functions.

I will try version 3.1 today on the last Upstream server, all along I have been running version 2.11

Shahidul

Monday, September 18, 2017 3:43 AM
  • I was going to try your script, but it now costs $60 a year?!  Does anyone else have a free solution that will do what this does and has been doing for the past few years, or am I going to have to shell out for this now?
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 8:38 AM