none
System hangs when using SSD and internal HDD.

Question

• Hi, I installed an Intel X25-M 120GB SSD. I freshly installed Windows 7 64bit. Everything worked great at first. After connecting all hardware and installing programs, problems started. When booting, post goes as usual, but as soon as Windows starts to load, it hangs. If I wait long enough (at least six minutes) Windows will finish loading but then applications hang and freeze. After several days of trial and error, I have a very specific cause. As long as the SSD is the only drive hooked up all is fine. If I connect one or more of my internal HDDs, boot hangs as soon as Windows starts to load. I found that if I connect HDDs after boot, everything is OK for a while (an hour or so). At that point things hang and freeze again. It seems clear that the only variable that has any effect on the problem is the connecting of the HDDs. Any insight into this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:25 AM

Answers

• Hello Daniel, I have the problem mostly fixed. After consulting with the motherboard manufacturer, and Itntel, I wound up flashing the bios and resetting the SSD to factory settings (using a very nice program called HDAT2 ). I then carefully reinstalled everything in what I think was the right order. One problem that still persists is the 3TB hard drive. I have two other internal drives and three external drives, all of which work fine. The issue with the 3TB drive is that it still hangs right after post, as soon as Windows starts to load.

Chuck
    Monday, March 14, 2011 11:16 AM

All replies

• Care to share the specs of your rig that you installing the hd on? Is it a desktop or notebook? How many internal hdds you're trying to install? Have you try installing one hd at a time or swap out the SDD for the time being and only install the hd alone and see how it goes?

There could be a possibility that one of the hdd is going haywire which causes the hang, suggest you to download the hd utilities from it's manufacturer site and run a test on the drive itself or alternatively run command prompt in adminstrator mode next run chkdsk

Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:45 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you for replying. Here's my rig:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 2.83GHz
    6GB RAM (1X2 Samsung, 2X2 Crucial)
    Intel X25-M 120GB SSD
    ATI Radeon HD 5870

Windows 7 64bit sp1

The only hardware change is the Intel SSD. Before that (with a HDD C: drive) everything was almost flawless for well over a year.

I have three internal HDDs. Each one has been connected individually with the same result. I think it's unlikely that three drives developed a problem at the same time.

I tried to boot from the old drive, but for some reason it blue screens.

When I go back and boot from the SSD (without the other drives connected), It's fine until I connect another drive.

Again, if I boot with another drive connected it will post, but hangs as soon as the OS starts to load.

Chuck
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:27 AM
  • Thank you for replying. Here's my rig:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 2.83GHz
    6GB RAM (1X2 Samsung, 2X2 Crucial)
    Intel X25-M 120GB SSD
    ATI Radeon HD 5870

Windows 7 64bit sp1

The only hardware change is the Intel SSD. Before that (with a HDD C: drive) everything was almost flawless for well over a year.

I have three internal HDDs. Each one has been connected individually with the same result. I think it's unlikely that three drives developed a problem at the same time.

I tried to boot from the old drive, but for some reason it blue screens.

When I go back and boot from the SSD (without the other drives connected), It's fine until I connect another drive.

Again, if I boot with another drive connected it will post, but hangs as soon as the OS starts to load.

Chuck

I assume your rig is running in defaut setting and everything is in auto in cmos setup? you didn't crank any setting in bios as in ram timing, processor or graphic etc?

Saturday, March 12, 2011 11:27 AM
    Answerer
  • No overclocking. All auto.

Chuck
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Are all the drives SATA drives, and at the same speed? (EG: SATA II) Btw did you set the sata drive to ahci in bios and try installing windows 7 fresh again with all the drive intact? What about drivers? Did you ensure the mobo drivers are install, same goes to the chipset drivers?
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 2:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Another thing i notice is your mixed ram, have you try running the rig with with the same brand of ram for the time being?
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Daniel, I have the problem mostly fixed. After consulting with the motherboard manufacturer, and Itntel, I wound up flashing the bios and resetting the SSD to factory settings (using a very nice program called HDAT2 ). I then carefully reinstalled everything in what I think was the right order. One problem that still persists is the 3TB hard drive. I have two other internal drives and three external drives, all of which work fine. The issue with the 3TB drive is that it still hangs right after post, as soon as Windows starts to load.

Chuck
    Monday, March 14, 2011 11:16 AM
  • I too am having this problem and apparently millions more are as well but Microsoft has no clue how to fix it. Seems that when using an SSD as the main drive(OS runs off it) and then having a 2nd HDD in the system is when the problems happen. But then what is the point of having an SSD when you cannot run the OS off of it? It all comes down to Windows 7 somehow messes up reading the HDD when the SSD runs the OS.

Updating BIOS does not solve this.

Safe mode will hang up after loading classpnp

my config:

• Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
    • 12gb DDR 3 1600
    • evga mobo, x58 FTW3
    • OCZ Vertex2 SSD 120gb ATA Device
    • Sony Optiarc DVD ATA Device
    • Western Digital(WD20EARS) 2TB 3gb/s HDD ATA Device

I am extremely disappointed to see Microsoft taking the 'Vista' approach once again with this kind of obvious OS malfunction and sticking their heads in the sand by letting their forum mods claim to have solved/fixed these problems when they have not been able to in the 30+ threads I have read, but of course at the end they 'checkmark' them so they appear to have solved it(I guess they get paid on threads they claim to have solved or something).

Here is hoping they wake up and take this seriously considering it affects a significant percentage of their customer base.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:10 AM
  • The correct answer is to change your power settings to never turn off hard disk.

Most SSD's will start to freeze up after a while if your power settings are set to switch hard disk off after an amount of time.

change this setting to never and i garauntee your problems will go away.

• Proposed as answer by EmperorMing Monday, June 13, 2011 5:26 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 5:26 AM
  • "change this setting to never and i garauntee your problems will go away."

I'm sure, it will not solve the problem, because I have the same issues.

My configuration is:

Asrock B75M-GL2 motherboard,

Intel i5-3470,

2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance memory

Samsung 830 128Gb SSD

Samsung HD103SI HDD

Sapphire AMD 7770 Video card

Windows 7x64 OS

Of course everything (Win updates, Asrock drivers, BIOS) is up to date, the most recent versions are installed.

I have nearly all power settings are turned off, except the screen turn off after 15 minutes.

I did not have any problem, since I installed the OS on this PC, since october 2012, but for a few weeks (1-2 months?), when I tried to shutdown my PC, I've got a hangup during shutdown. Last week I was unable to start some applications, but after a windows restart, everything worked fine. But today I've got a system hangup when I tried to restart windows (because some applications didn't started). But the system didn't started anymore :( Hopefully a system restore to a june 18. date temporarily solved the problem.

I did a full system image backup and it backed up the C:\ drive without a problem.

Levente Valent

Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:05 PM
  • for testing purposes, I replaced my SSD with a 250G Samsung HDD, an restored the system image (which was uses on the SSD). It's unbelivably slow :) , but it works without any problem.

I don't know, if it's SDD problem, or Windows ?

Levente Valent

Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:47 AM