none
Startmenu won't open if fullscreen is enabled

Question

• Hi community

I know I'm not the only one with this problem, but I also didn't find any other way to report a bug to Microsoft on an official channel!

After a fresh installation of Windows Server 2016 Standard (German, ISO-Image from MS Partner Portal) I did nothing else except for activating windows, set the startmenu to fullscreen mode and restarting the OS.

Right after the system was up, the startmenu won't open anymore. In the taskmanager I saw the ShellExperienceHost.exe popping up when clicking the windows start button, together with the windows error reporting service, for about 1 second.

Looking into EventViewer there was the following error for every time I clicked the start button:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: ShellExperienceHost.exe, Version: 10.0.14393.447, Zeitstempel: 0x5819bf85
    Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: StartUI.dll, Version: 10.0.14393.447, Zeitstempel: 0x5819be04
    Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
    Fehleroffset: 0x00000000000b96b0
    ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0xa50
    Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d2ecced8231441
    Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe
    Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\ShellExperiences\StartUI.dll
    Berichtskennung: 563781c7-6fab-49ae-b3de-e0dd30c1c08c
    Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.14393.447_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App

Then I disabled fullscreen in the settings and the startmenu opened. I enabled the fullscreen again and it also worked, until I restarted the OS, after that it didn't work anymore.

It is a bug and Microsoft has to fix this!

I tried all the startmenu fixes there are, used sfc /scannow, all DISM commands and installed all updates. The only thing I never tested is trying to copy the StartUI.dll from a working Windows 10 system.

Not using fullscreen may be the easiest workaround, but I won't let it slide as a solution!!!

Saturday, June 24, 2017 10:26 AM

All replies

• I know I'm not the only one with this problem, but I also didn't find any other way to report a bug to Microsoft on an official channel!

You can report feedback here on uservoice.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 24, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 4:26 AM
  • Hi

I issued a ticket at:

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback/suggestions/19717750-fix-startmenu-when-using-fullscreen-setting-windo

Hopefully there will soon be a patch for that or at least in the upcoming v1703 for srv2016. Personally I like the fullscreen mode much more.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 12:17 PM
  • Hi,Mike

Thanks for your understanding 

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:14 AM