none
Importing Windows Mail Contacts to Windows Live Mail client? RRS feed

• Question

• I've now got to the stage where I'm ready for importing Windows Mail Contacts to Windows Live Mail client. Do I really have to export them as a CSV first?
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:29 PM

Answers

• Well I didn't perform an in-place upgrade, but I still have the Contacts folder of course, hence my original question.
    Hi Nigel

Sorry for the delay.

It's not clear exactly where you have the old contacts folder saved?

Open the old Contacts folder in Windows Explorer. On the Command Bar, select the Export Button.

Save the file as .csv.

Move the .csv file to a location on the Windows 7 system, such as the Desktop.

Open Windows Live Mail and select Go/Contacts.
    Select File/Import/CSV file.
    Point the import wizard to the .csv file you created and complete the wizard to import the contacts. 

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:02 AM

All replies

• As Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail is not a same program, we will need to manually transfer the contacts.

Open Contacts in Windows Vista, click Export to export to a CSV file, copy it to Windows 7, open Windows Live Mail, we can find  Contacts in right of bottom. Open it and click Alt key to start the menu bar, choose File --- Import to import the CSV file.

Friday, October 23, 2009 5:08 AM
  •  

Open Contacts in Windows Vista...

You mean the Windows Vista that most people would have wiped?

Surely there must be a way to import the contacts once the upgrade has been done?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 8:23 AM
  • Hi Nigel

If you performed an In-place upgrade of Windows 7 over Windows Vista, the Contacts should have remained intact in the Users\your name\Contacts folder?

Let us know if they are there.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:18 AM
  • If you performed an In-place upgrade of Windows 7 over Windows Vista, the Contacts should have remained intact in the Users\your name\Contacts folder?

Well I didn't perform an in-place upgrade, but I still have the Contacts folder of course, hence my original question.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Well I didn't perform an in-place upgrade, but I still have the Contacts folder of course, hence my original question.
    Hi Nigel

Sorry for the delay.

It's not clear exactly where you have the old contacts folder saved?

Open the old Contacts folder in Windows Explorer. On the Command Bar, select the Export Button.

Save the file as .csv.

Move the .csv file to a location on the Windows 7 system, such as the Desktop.

Open Windows Live Mail and select Go/Contacts.
    Select File/Import/CSV file.
    Point the import wizard to the .csv file you created and complete the wizard to import the contacts. 

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:02 AM

• Open the old Contacts folder in Windows Explorer. On the Command Bar, select the Export Button.

Hi Ronnie,

I didn't know you could Export from there, all fixed, many thanks.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:31 AM
  • I have found that none of these solutions work.  I have a solution that will work but be sure you read everything before you try it.

Go to your old mail program.  Create a message.  Go to your contacts and highlight them all (Control A).  Then click on to and sent a test message to everyone in your contacts list.  Tell everyone you are testing your contacts list or something like that.  Now the problems with this is that everyone you sent the email to will see everyone elses email.  If that is not a problem, then send.   Then when you pull it up your email on your new computer tell it to add everyone on the list to your contacts.

I don't like to do things this way but what options do I have??

Sunday, July 17, 2011 12:32 AM